THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

postmanPat91 wrote:
Clash wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:Manage somewhere else next season? Go on, you old *word censored*. Name one decent club who would want you to manage them. Just piss off you, narcissistic old prick. Someone pull the plug on all this utter shit.
Could walk into most jobs in Europe, the English FA wanted him more than anyone else in recent times it seems
As others have said, maybe a few years ago Wenger could have walked into most jobs but I doubt that's the case now. And anyway walking in is one thing ... being kept in the job is entirely different. No way would most big clubs persevere with him once they realised what a fraud he is now.

As for the FA's interest ... its hardly a glowing endorsement when they've appointed the likes of McLaren, Hodgson, Alladyce and Southgate in the last 15 years or so.
This exactly... the bar isn't exactly sky-high at England ffs :lol:
Wenger is finished as a manager,everybody knows it except him. There are rumblings,there is discontent,the whole football world knows it....so why have not one club, not even a big club, ANY club, made even tentative enquiries. I don't believe Wenger will get a job at a decent club in Europe and even if he did he wouldn't take it. There isn't a club in the world who would protect him or give him the kind of insane power he has at Arsenal. And any club with aspirations would blow him off after 2 seasons, if they were even stupid enough to employ him in the first place. You think he doesn't know that??

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... conference

"This was never going to be an easy day for Arsene. But he played a blinder. It's a pity his players don't always do the same"

Clash

Post by Clash »

rjw1985 wrote:
Guaranteed a high profile job offer when he goes 100%.
The next Pope?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

rjw1985 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:The lazy tabloid hacks link his name with several jobs but no decent club would take him off us in reality. The FA? They took one look at him and went for the junior teams manager in Southgate ffs :lol:
Pretty sure he turned them down, not the other way.

Absolutely no way. He'll take a national team job because there's no transfer market or having to pursue targets. He won't have to deal with wages or money matters because that's destroyed football, unless of course, it's his massive, undeserved wages. That money's fine.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

xisstential wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:
Clash wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:Manage somewhere else next season? Go on, you old *word censored*. Name one decent club who would want you to manage them. Just piss off you, narcissistic old prick. Someone pull the plug on all this utter shit.
Could walk into most jobs in Europe, the English FA wanted him more than anyone else in recent times it seems
As others have said, maybe a few years ago Wenger could have walked into most jobs but I doubt that's the case now. And anyway walking in is one thing ... being kept in the job is entirely different. No way would most big clubs persevere with him once they realised what a fraud he is now.

As for the FA's interest ... its hardly a glowing endorsement when they've appointed the likes of McLaren, Hodgson, Alladyce and Southgate in the last 15 years or so.
Wenger is finished as a manager,everybody knows it except him. There are rumblings,there is discontent,the whole football world knows it....so why have not one club, not even a big club, ANY club, made even tentative enquiries. I don't believe Wenger will get a job at a decent club in Europe and even if he did he wouldn't take it. There isn't a club in the world who would protect him or give him the kind of insane power he has at Arsenal. And any club with aspirations would blow him off after 2 seasons, if they were even stupid enough to employ him in the first place. You think he doesn't know that??
How do you know there has not been offers for him to manage elsewhere? Let alone know how there has been no 'tentative enquiries' lol posts like that just prove what I already thought about you. Hell, maybe you do know something we all don't, but I'd like to know your sources before making further judgement as I'm pretty sure not many in the club would be privy to that information.

His first 2 seasons with us were arguably the best we had under him so the evidence for him being sacked after 2 years is non existent.

Next.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:The lazy tabloid hacks link his name with several jobs but no decent club would take him off us in reality. The FA? They took one look at him and went for the junior teams manager in Southgate ffs :lol:

Absolutely no way. He'll take a national team job because there's no transfer market or having to pursue targets. He won't have to deal with wages or money matters because that's destroyed football, unless of course, it's his massive, undeserved wages. That money's fine.
Quite possibly it will be an International appointment, still a high profile one I suspect.

He could have the French job anytime he wants it.

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

rjw1985 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:
Clash wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:

How do you know there has not been offers for him to manage elsewhere? Let alone know how there has been no 'tentative enquiries' lol posts like that just prove what I already thought about you. Hell, maybe you do know something we all don't, but I'd like to know your sources before making further judgement as I'm pretty sure not many in the club would be privy to that information.

His first 2 seasons with us were arguably the best we had under him so the evidence for him being sacked after 2 years is non existent.

Next.
What he did 20 years ago is irrelevant - the last 10 seasons are evidence enough that he hasn't got it in him anymore

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I could definitely see him at a club like Valencia or some other middle of the road European outfit like that. The only country where he might get a job with a "top" club would be France but even that seems unlikely to me now considering how much his stock has fallen.

Blanc got the bullet from PSG even though he won the league last season, the CL is the owners main priority there. If Emery doesn't win it this year there's a good chance he also gets the bullet and do you really think the man they turn to to get them European glory is Mr. 20 times a failure? No, me neither.

The only other option in France is Monaco but Jardim has been a revelation there this season with them top of the league and scoring goals for fun. Not sure losing games by being mentally jaded or physically unprepared is high on their agenda at the moment.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

postmanPat91 wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:
Clash wrote:

Next.
What he did 20 years ago is irrelevant - the last 10 seasons are evidence enough that he hasn't got it in him anymore
The post specially referred to his first 2 years in the job

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

rjw1985 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:

Quite possibly it will be an International appointment, still a high profile one I suspect.

He could have the French job anytime he wants it.
International football would be ideal for him and other than sorting his own salary out which he is very good at,he can concentrate on his TV work which he seems to enjoy.With the expansion of the world cup he would probably do ok and get most decent sides qualification and out of the group stages to of course go out in the first ko round :rubchin:

Maybe the lure of the Chinese super league would be a decent place to top his pension up because he hasn't earned enough out of us :roll:

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

rjw1985 wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:

Next.
The post specially referred to his first 2 years in the job
Thanks for pointing that out... I'm saying his most recent TEN seasons are more relevant than his first 2 here

skipper

Post by skipper »

Bradywasking wrote:Thinking about his press conference today I now think Wenger announced he is signing his contract extension.. He said he will manage here or elsewhere next season. Arsenal PLC haven't the wit or desire to move him on. In reality they see no reason to move him on..
It will be business as usual in the Bowl. Next Autumn when Arsenal destroy Huddersfield or some newly promoted side at the Bowl to go top the AKBs and the Keowns etc will tell us the board were correct in keeping him as once again he has proven himself.
I agree with you. I think this was emotional blackmail on same level as "Real Madrid is after me" from few years ago. He's going nowhere.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rjw1985 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:
Clash wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:

Next.
That is actually a bizarre answer... Firstly, the game (like society) is totally different nowadays to what it was in 1996. People (and football clubs) want instant success, they don't want to wait for someone to build something. Wenger would get 2 seasons max at any top European club and if he hadn't delivered the title or the CL he'd be gone.

Secondly, he had that early success in a very different set of circumstances - and as a very different type of manager than he is nowadays. Are you really saying that because he was very successful in his first 2 seasons with us 20 years ago he would repeat the feat in his first 2 seasons with another club nowadays? Really? :?

Of course it's a pointless argument because no top European club would employ him. When he does finally leave he will get a shot at the French national team job. And, who knows, he might actually win something with them! :shock:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Imagine him at Barca and Messi playing full back :lol:

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

http://www.espnfc.us/club/arsenal/359/b ... rumbles-on

A look at his options around Europe :lol:

"Wenger would be more than welcome back in Le Championnat, particularly if hometown club RC Strasbourg Alsace make it back to the top flight this season, just not in Paris"
Last edited by Ziegler1988 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.