THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gudo

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Gudo »

MyOldMan wrote:I need to say this and go agianst the great majority but it's time for Wenger to go. I'm tired of his stuborn attitude towards transfers and the costant refusal to sort out contracts before the time,for not building on our strongest team. We are always playing catch up replacing players lost and have never truly replaced the defence and midfield of old.

We need change I would love wenger just to get a proper keeper of which we have not had since Seaman. Why does he refuse to buy experience even if it's for a few seasons?

We had the best out of Wenger time for change. Now we need to get a billionare takeover and a new manager. Even if Wenger had the money he would still be getting kids and unknowns. I'm tired of unknowns with potential give me names to get excited about. Not since Bergkamp have a felt that thrill from a signing and excitement that the paying fans deserve.

Thank you Arsene for giving me the best years of Arsenal but it's time for a new beggining. You can only re-build teams a number of times before you start ruining the foundations and I fear that is whats happening to the club we love. :(
You Sir are certainly a man who was ahead of his time. To think that you made this post in 2008 when I was kneeling at the altar of Arsene knows Best.
Last edited by Gudo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
rodders999 wrote:Anyone able to pinpoint the exact moment in time where he morphed from a dynamic, driven, charismatic young man into a decrepit, sniping, insipid old woman?
I was going to post exactly the same as Postman Pat. 17 May 2006. The sour faced old git just could not accept the defeat to Barcelona.

Just like Hillary Clinton - he is so entitled that he felt it was his by right. We've been like a fly banging into the same window ever since.
Paris 06 for me too. That was the start of the rot. It took years for it to get really bad, but that night was the start.

When he left Hleb on and took off Pires, that for me was also the first time I just stared at the bench and thought "What the fuck are you doing you idiot?" :censored:

And then to not bring Bergkamp on for the last 10 minutes. Who knows what magic he might have conjured to get us back in it... :(

Nice Hilarious Cunton reference too, mate. Top work. :lol: 8)

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Gudo wrote:
MyOldMan wrote:I need to say this and go agianst the great majority but it's time for Wenger to go. I'm tired of his stuborn attitude towards transfers and the costant refusal to sort out contracts before the time,for not building on our strongest team. We are always playing catch up replacing players lost and have never truly replaced the defence and midfield of old.

We need change I would love wenger just to get a proper keeper of which we have not had since Seaman. Why does he refuse to buy experience even if it's for a few seasons?

We had the best out of Wenger time for change. Now we need to get a billionare takeover and a new manager. Even if Wenger had the money he would still be getting kids and unknowns. I'm tired of unknowns with potential give me names to get excited about. Not since Bergkamp have a felt that thrill from a signing and excitement that the paying fans deserve.

Thank you Arsene for giving me the best years of Arsenal but it's time for a new beggining. You can only re-build teams a number of times before you start ruining the foundations and I fear that is whats happening to the club we love. :(
You Sir are certainly a man who was ahead of his time. To think that you made this post in 2008 when I was kneeling at the altar on Arsene knows Best.
I was Wenger out since 2008 as well. :barscarf:

The abuse I used to get was mental and now 90% are saying the same things..

Makes you realise how long we ha've been :banghead:

Kroenke's fault for backing him on the el cheapo policy.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

This thread, and the post suggesting that we need a change of manager, was started by "My Old Man" as long ago as August 2008. He will go down in Gooner folklore as the man who launched thirty thousand posts, so kudos to him although sadly he doesn't seem to be around to see his great project reach its denouement. But from little acorns, etc....

While it's true that back then most Arsenal supporters would still have been broadly sympathetic to the manager, what is remarkable is to see how even then many of the initial reactions were along the lines of "If we haven't won anything in the next 2/3 years....." "Wenger looks more and more disheartened...."etc. Very few people on this site were up in arms at the mere thought that his time was nigh. Wenger's great art has been to reset that mindset of "if it doesn't change soon" among the doubters at the end of every single season while achieving precious little. He has found it harder to work his jedi mind magic since no longer having the excuse of money not being available to keep/sign quality players in the years we were paying off the loan on the new stadium, which masked his inadequacy.

This has been so long in coming it is unreal.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Bob Bayliss wrote:Time distorts the memory. This thread, and the post suggesting that we need a change of manager, was started by "My Old Man" as long ago as August 2008. He will go down in Gooner folklore as the man who launched thirty thousand posts, so kudos to him although sadly he doesn't seem to be around to see his great project reach its denouement. But from little acorns, etc....

While it's true that back then most Arsenal supporters would still have been broadly sympathetic to the manager, what is remarkable is to see how even then many of the initial reactions were along the lines of "If we haven't won anything in the next 2/3 years....." "Wenger looks more and more disheartened...."etc. Very few people on this site at least were up in arms at the mere thought that his time was nigh. Wenger's great art has been to reset that mindset of "if it doesn't change soon" among the doubters every single year while achieving precious little, though he found it harder to do that after the loan on the new stadium was repaid in around 2011.

What's coming?? He might still sign a new contract. Would you bet against it, I wouldn't.

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

Honestly, everytime I get my hopes up that he'll be off, then take a step back and allow reality to seep back in, I can't see the old duffer leaving anytime soon. It will be business as usual at Arsenal PLC. Why exchange 'stability' for uncertainty? The bottom line continues to be met at the end of each season shooting up Wiggy's stock and ensuring new yachts for the old boys. That means TOF will keep getting his reward of new improved contracts cyclically. Anyone thinking the pillagers in charge give an ounce of regard to a few peasants trying to make a fuss, is completely deluded. The AKBs, JCLs (kind of one and the same and comprise the majority of the fanbase) and media might flip flop over to our side everytime we have a rough patch, but as we've observed numerous times, one good result is all it takes for all to be rosy in wenker garden, and for the media to start slagging off us outers again.

We will only get shot of TOF by way of mortality or things start going bust prompting wiggy to sell up; hopefully to an someone with primary focus being on competing for and winning major honours, and restoration of Club pride.

Pains me to admit it, but the purgatory will last for a while yet, lads. :(

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:Time distorts the memory. This thread, and the post suggesting that we need a change of manager, was started by "My Old Man" as long ago as August 2008. He will go down in Gooner folklore as the man who launched thirty thousand posts, so kudos to him although sadly he doesn't seem to be around to see his great project reach its denouement. But from little acorns, etc....

While it's true that back then most Arsenal supporters would still have been broadly sympathetic to the manager, what is remarkable is to see how even then many of the initial reactions were along the lines of "If we haven't won anything in the next 2/3 years....." "Wenger looks more and more disheartened...."etc. Very few people on this site at least were up in arms at the mere thought that his time was nigh. Wenger's great art has been to reset that mindset of "if it doesn't change soon" among the doubters every single year while achieving precious little, though he found it harder to do that after the loan on the new stadium was repaid in around 2011.

What's coming?? He might still sign a new contract. Would you bet against it, I wouldn't.
The 2 year deal is on the table ready to be signed, where else would he go? who else would have him? Barcelona :coffeespit:

augie

Post by augie »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Just had a call from a friend, who has connections with the football agent Jorge Mendez.
He has word Wenger has already agreed a deal to go to Barcelona this summer.
He has been ahead of the curve on a couple of other things. Just thought I would share this, even though I find it difficult, no impossible to believe.
The current betting odds don't suggest anything either, but at around 6's or 7's it suggests there has been some early money for Wenger.
Fingers crossed.
Remember who told you first if it is true.

Started your weekend early there buddy ? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:This thread, and the post suggesting that we need a change of manager, was started by "My Old Man" as long ago as August 2008. He will go down in Gooner folklore as the man who launched thirty thousand posts, so kudos to him although sadly he doesn't seem to be around to see his great project reach its denouement. But from little acorns, etc....

While it's true that back then most Arsenal supporters would still have been broadly sympathetic to the manager, what is remarkable is to see how even then many of the initial reactions were along the lines of "If we haven't won anything in the next 2/3 years....." "Wenger looks more and more disheartened...."etc. Very few people on this site were up in arms at the mere thought that his time was nigh. Wenger's great art has been to reset that mindset of "if it doesn't change soon" among the doubters at the end of every single season while achieving precious little. He has found it harder to work his jedi mind magic since no longer having the excuse of money not being available to keep/sign quality players in the years we were paying off the loan on the new stadium, which masked his inadequacy.

He may well have started the thread, but there were a few of us back in 2007 that were getting absolutely slaughtered on here for wanting wenker replaced 8)

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Just out of interest,does anyone know when the last time "Le Fraud" won the Manager of the Month award was?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Just had a call from a friend, who has connections with the football agent Jorge Mendez.
He has word Wenger has already agreed a deal to go to Barcelona this summer.
He has been ahead of the curve on a couple of other things. Just thought I would share this, even though I find it difficult, no impossible to believe.
The current betting odds don't suggest anything either, but at around 6's or 7's it suggests there has been some early money for Wenger.
Fingers crossed.
Remember who told you first if it is true.
Fair Enuff. But, We will also remember who said this if he signs another contract :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:Just out of interest,does anyone know when the last time "Le Fraud" won the Manager of the Month award was?
October 2015. :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The cun.t has no appreciation for fans whatsoever - I bought him a chair for his birthday but the cun.t wouldn't plug it in. :? :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:Just out of interest,does anyone know when the last time "Le Fraud" won the Manager of the Month award was?
October 2015. :?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_L ... of_winners

markyp

Post by markyp »

think he won it earlier in the season or did I imagine that