THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Now I'm really confused (doesn't take much tbh!)

So if we finish fourth and Man Utd come fifth and win the Europa, they'd take our CL spot?

This sounds too good to be true!
No...I don't think thats true...I think we will have 5 teams in...Top 4 and Europa winners. I think :? :?

We're in, we're in..... Wenger deserves it tbh :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Last edited by xisstential on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

So if we finish fourth and Man Utd come fifth and win the Europa, they'd take our CL spot?

no they would just have a 5th CL spot.
and am I right in thinking that if Man United finish top 4 and then we finish 5th we will still qualify for the CL ? :rubchin:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Gunner Rob wrote:

and am I right in thinking that if Man United finish top 4 and then we finish 5th we will still qualify for the CL ? :rubchin:
Sevilla finished 7th last year but only four Spanish teams were in the cl as far a second I can see.

****I see that Villarreal lost in the playoff*****

Fuck me Wenger is going to get and get out of jail card
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

Blasted with both barrels by Burley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUu2mZWm3NM

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Tollgoon wrote:Blasted with both barrels by Burley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUu2mZWm3NM
He really didn't hold back or actually haven't done so for a longer time now. Who is this guy anyway? He's had some sort of playing career, right?

blair207

Post by blair207 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Sevilla finished 7th last year but only four Spanish teams were in the cl as far a second I can see.

****I see that Villarreal lost in the playoff*****

Fuck me Wenger is going to get and get out of jail card
The rules have changed for this season.
Countries with 4 slots get all the top 4 straight into the groups. No qualification rounds.
The Europa league winner gets straight into the group stage.
A limit of 5 clubs per association.
That's from the UEFA site Q&As on qualification rules.
It doesn't specifically answer the question if the slots are transferable but it doesn't say they are.

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Gunner Rob wrote:

Nope, check here for scenarios last season for Liverpool: http://www.villarrealusa.com/2016/5/2/1 ... -explained

I also can't see ManU taking their eye off the league as much as Liverpool did. Mourinho is smart enough not to throw away top 4 on a one off match

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

blair207 wrote: The rules have changed for this season.
Countries with 4 slots get all the top 4 straight into the groups. No qualification rounds.
It doesn't specifically answer the question if the slots are transferable but it doesn't say they are.
That's starting in 2018/19: http://www.espnfc.us/uefa-champions-lea ... op-leagues

4th place still has to do a playoff next season

blair207

Post by blair207 »

Ziegler1988 wrote:
That's starting in 2018/19: http://www.espnfc.us/uefa-champions-lea ... op-leagues

So it is the rules this year must be the same as last year.
Would that mean if we were 4th and ManU 5th but won the Europa there would be a qualification round for both?
That's assuming Leicester don't win the Campions league of course.
Last edited by blair207 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

blair207 wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:

So it is the rules this year must be the same as last year.
Would that mean if we were 4th and ManU 5th but won the Europa there would be a play off?
Don't think that scenario affects us at all, we would enter the playoff ("last qualification round")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... ons_League
NOTE: The winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League enter the play-off round if both they and the winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Champions League have not qualified for the group stage through domestic performance. Should the winners of the 2016–17 UEFA Europa League enter the play-off round, they enter:

League Route: If the Champions League title holders have qualified for any round of the League Route, or have not qualified for the tournament via their domestic league and are from the associations 1–12 in the access list.
Champions Route: If the Champions League title holders have qualified for any round of the Champions Route, or have not qualified for the tournament via their domestic league and are from the associations 13–54 in the access list.

blair207

Post by blair207 »

Looks to me like ManU can get in through the Europa if they are 5th but we don't if they get 4th and the Europa.
That would make sense as the object is to boost the Europa League not give one association an extra place.
C'mon Leicester!

NickF

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:

Be just like Wenger, finish outside the top 4 and still get a champions league spot!

CharlieGeorge1971

Post by CharlieGeorge1971 »

CharlieGeorge1971

CharlieGeorge1971