Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by armchair »

Afc5123 wrote:Top work by everyone was at the protest Saturday but kept myself to myself so didn't talk to anyone!

However, since the mail article has gone up donations are increasing which should allow more action.

Well done everyone and particularly the organisers. Unfortunately I am not at the Man City game as I cannot afford cat A ticket prices but hope it is a success like the other 2,
You dont have to pay to go to the protest outside the ground. That costs nothing.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

armchair wrote:
Afc5123 wrote:Top work by everyone was at the protest Saturday but kept myself to myself so didn't talk to anyone!

However, since the mail article has gone up donations are increasing which should allow more action.

Well done everyone and particularly the organisers. Unfortunately I am not at the Man City game as I cannot afford cat A ticket prices but hope it is a success like the other 2,
You dont have to pay to go to the protest outside the ground. That costs nothing.
I'm just there for the protests..those pricks aren't getting another penny from me. Anyway I get a bigger buzz from giving him shit than watching the shit he has us playing.

General

Post by General »

xisstential wrote:
armchair wrote:

I'm just there for the protests..those pricks aren't getting another penny from me. Anyway I get a bigger buzz from giving him shit than watching the shit he has us playing.
Absolutely. I've gone on to watch the game after the protests and I'm not doing it again. It's like a funeral parlour inside that soulless bowl.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

armchair wrote:

I am coming down for the Man City protest, just to shake a few hands, sing a few songs and let off some steam ( no intention of watching the match)
Oh and I promised Sean a beer too. :cheers: :cheers:

MecurialGooner

Post by MecurialGooner »

Really hoping the plane flyover happens on Saturday, so much has been said about it on social media and some press, that if it doesn't happen, we might come across as bottlers. Here's hoping the weather permits the flight. :barscarf:

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

[quote="MecurialGooner"]Really hoping the plane flyover happens on Saturday, so much has been said about it on social media and some press, that if it doesn't happen, we might come across as bottlers. Here's hoping the weather permits the flight. :barscarf:[/quote

Actually I was thinking , matty, Xistential

In case we can't do the plane it might be worth preparing a short statement that we can't do the flight due to adverse weather conditions out of our control etc.

We are reviewing options to do this at a game later in the season and in the meantime will carry our protest on and forthcoming fixtures

Something like that

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

Pete on the beach wrote:
MecurialGooner wrote:Really hoping the plane flyover happens on Saturday, so much has been said about it on social media and some press, that if it doesn't happen, we might come across as bottlers. Here's hoping the weather permits the flight. :barscarf:[/quote

Actually I was thinking , matty, Xistential

In case we can't do the plane it might be worth preparing a short statement that we can't do the flight due to adverse weather conditions out of our control etc.

We are reviewing options to do this at a game later in the season and in the meantime will carry our protest on and forthcoming fixtures

Something like that

Yes i can do that..i will draft one up if its looking unlikely to fly...will get an good indication of wind speeds in the next 24 ..48 hrs..

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

Cheers mate
Ignore that bit in my PM then

mzk90

Post by mzk90 »

Can whoever is looking at Colney, please PM me.

General

Post by General »

OneBardGooner wrote:Okay Fellow Gooners!

The Plane - A Good Idea - that may not happen due to weather conditions

The Mobile Lorry/truck - For me an Excellent idea as it will be seen at close hand by plenty of Gooners and hopefully also the staff going into and out of The Bowl, I would include board/players and MANAGER in That.

The wenger lookalike - again still a valid idea - But, if we do go ahead with it - then it needs to be done in a way that looks 'professional.

The Ballons / beach Balls still have relevance - because they will keep Our Cause in the public eye...in many ways we simply need to keep it in the public eye as much as possible for as long as possible - at least till we know the outcome of of whether the *word censored* signs or not...If he does, then we change strategies and get "Serious" as in the gloves are Off!

I know there are all kinds of ideas being put forward which is great - better to have too many than not enough, so everyone DO keep your thinking caps on and keep making suggestions, But Please don't get annoyed if an idea is not taken up....this is a time for Gooner unity and not ego's. :wink:
I'm all for everything but please cut out the Wenger look alike thing or any other satirical stuff. Anything that dilutes the message is a negative in my book.

Those of us close to the front line on Saturday know how tricky it was in cutting through some of the idiots who tried to interrupt the March and this kind of stuff would only bring unwanted attention and divide opinion.

This is about Wenger out and no new contract. It's simple and straight to the point. I'd rather join 20people willing to hammer home the message than soften our stance just to attract more people. If people are not comfortable with our approach they can stay away.

So banners, planes, billboards, balloons etc , focus on communicating the core message and don't get distracted.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:

The Mobile Lorry/truck - For me an Excellent idea as it will be seen at close hand by plenty of Gooners and hopefully also the staff going into and out of The Bowl, I would include board/players and MANAGER in That.

The wenger lookalike - again still a valid idea - But, if we do go ahead with it - then it needs to be done in a way that looks 'professional.

The Ballons / beach Balls still have relevance - because they will keep Our Cause in the public eye...in many ways we simply need to keep it in the public eye as much as possible for as long as possible - at least till we know the outcome of of whether the *word censored* signs or not...If he does, then we change strategies and get "Serious" as in the gloves are Off!

I know there are all kinds of ideas being put forward which is great - better to have too many than not enough, so everyone DO keep your thinking caps on and keep making suggestions, But Please don't get annoyed if an idea is not taken up....this is a time for Gooner unity and not ego's. :wink:
I'm all for everything but please cut out the Wenger look alike thing or any other satirical stuff. Anything that dilutes the message is a negative in my book.

Those of us close to the front line on Saturday know how tricky it was in cutting through some of the idiots who tried to interrupt the March and this kind of stuff would only bring unwanted attention and divide opinion.

This is about Wenger out and no new contract. It's simple and straight to the point. I'd rather join 20people willing to hammer home the message than soften our stance just to attract more people. If people are not comfortable with our approach they can stay away.

So banners, planes, billboards, balloons etc , focus on communicating the core message and don't get distracted.
Agree with most of that. Particularly about the Wenger-look-alike. I think that will leave the protest open to piss taking from the media twats tbh and might be best left aside.

But I disagree about the numbers needed. If the numbers are small (or can be lied about to make them small by the club or media) then the protest will be patronisingly dismissed as a "few disloyal fans" or some such shit by Wenger and the club. Not saying dilute the message but numbers are everything.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
General wrote:

Agree with most of that. Particularly about the Wenger-look-alike. I think that will leave the protest open to piss taking from the media twats tbh and might be best left aside.

But I disagree about the numbers needed. If the numbers are small (or can be lied about to make them small by the club or media) then the protest will be patronisingly dismissed as a "few disloyal fans" or some such shit by Wenger and the club. Not saying dilute the message but numbers are everything.

I realise that this is all about opinions, but I don't agree with the belief that the lookalike with a pony top 4 trophy, is a bad idea. I think it's a very good one. As I've said before, no matter what we do, the board ain't sacking him. Our only hope is to hurt his ego badly enough, that he thinks "screw 'em all" and fucks off. We can debate until the cows come home whether he'll react that way (my personal opinion is that he's here for a minimum 2 more years regardless), but it's all we've got.

Therefore, our protests have to be aimed at his giant ego and ridiculing his phoney achievements and bullshit statements will get under his skin. He'll absolutely hate the look alike and just as importantly, the media will love it.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
General wrote:

But I disagree about the numbers needed. If the numbers are small (or can be lied about to make them small by the club or media) then the protest will be patronisingly dismissed as a "few disloyal fans" or some such shit by Wenger and the club. Not saying dilute the message but numbers are everything.[/quote]

.....And that's the rub. We will only have a chance (no guarantee) of getting the message home if it is crystal-clear that we are much more than a fringe of 2-300 of the fanbase. We all know that the silent majority (inside the stadium as well as outside) want him gone, but silent will be taken as assent.

Having spent a lot of time in the last couple of weeks studying social media reaction from people generally sympathetic to the Wenger Out cause I can tell you categorically it is the spite and venom that comes across from the stadium protests that is stopping them joining in. Whether it is a Wenger impersonator or something different, we absolutely do need to sprinkle in some lighter, more imaginative elements among the "You're Killing Our Club" chants or we will likely not attract the numbers we need (not want). People go to football to have fun - let's give them a sense of that outside the ground. They sure as hell won't get it when they go in.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Having spent a lot of time in the last couple of weeks studying social media reaction from people generally sympathetic to the Wenger Out cause I can tell you categorically it is the spite and venom that comes across from the stadium protests that is stopping them joining in. Whether it is a Wenger impersonator or something different, we absolutely do need to sprinkle in some lighter more imaginative elements among the "You're Killing Our Club" chants, or we will likely not attract the numbers we need (not want).
It is supposed to be a protest to get Wenger out, unfortunately there is no nice way of chanting this.
The problem is the people who want him out but won't do anything "out of respect".
Unfortunately I do not see how you are ever going to win them over.

We have been far more repectful than he probably deserves.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob and Retro - good points and thinking about it, you are probably right. I too think he is staying but I agree the ONLY way we might get rid of him is to hurt his ego enough that he leaves to "spite" us and show us how wrong we are.