Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by Bob Bayliss »

NickF wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Having spent a lot of time in the last couple of weeks studying social media reaction from people generally sympathetic to the Wenger Out cause I can tell you categorically it is the spite and venom that comes across from the stadium protests that is stopping them joining in. Whether it is a Wenger impersonator or something different, we absolutely do need to sprinkle in some lighter more imaginative elements among the "You're Killing Our Club" chants, or we will likely not attract the numbers we need (not want).
It is supposed to be a protest to get Wenger out, unfortunately there is no nice way of chanting this.
The problem is the people who want him out but won't do anything "out of respect".
Unfortunately I do not see how you are ever going to win them over.

We have been far more repectful than he probably deserves.
Nick, I don't disagree with you on your last point. And trust me, when(ever) he goes I will be opposed to any statues, stands named after him or testimonial. There will be no knee-jerk wave of gratitude and sentiment from me. A brief and respectful nod to his earlier achievements is all that he will be due. He has had the rest in unearned salary.

But this is about being inclusive, and getting as many people as possible on board. I am not saying we can or should stop the core message, but I am saying that we need to find ways of getting greater numbers around us. I think you'll find the respect which prevented people from 'coming out' is being eroded now, but that doesn't mean they are prepared to call him all sorts. The best chance we have is to find novel ways of enticing people along: quirky, different, fun, and make sure people know about it in advance. Could be badges, balloons, Wenger impersonators, whatever....but let's vary the menu and broaden our appeal.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General

Post by General »

The number of protesters has likely plateaued as we didn't get a considerable swell in numbers after Tuesday. Unless the team goes on an extensive run of poor results this is unlikely to change. Softening our stance or broadening the message won't change anything. There are people who joined the chants along the route but wouldn't join in. I wonder if they feel this is some sort of closed group?

Also I disagree with the notion that these protests won't change anything and force Wenger to consider his position. If I felt this way I would've stayed away. Protesting against managers especially Arsenal ones is unprecedented and we've sent a powerful message through the media which has been picked up worldwide. As long as we continue to retain the media's interest the pressure will build on the club, evidenced by the recent club statement . The ultimate aim is to make his position untenable and in this regard the protests serve a particular purpose. Wenger has gone on record to say he watches match of the day amongst others so he's not closing his ears and pretending it's not happening.
Last edited by General on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MecurialGooner

Post by MecurialGooner »

A Wenger-lookalike with a top 4 trophy if done the right way, would do absolute wonders for our campaign, because of the truth contained within the message mixed in with some satire and humour. The media will absolutely love it and Wenger will hate it.

We don't make it a staple or common thing. It would probably only ever be done once. But that's all we need.

We need to try almost everything we can muster. :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

General wrote:The number of protesters has likely plateaued as we didn't get a considerable swell in numbers after Tuesday. Unless the team goes on an extensive run of poor results this is unlikely to change. Softening our stance or broadening the message won't change anything. There are people who joined the chants along the route but wouldn't join in. I wonder if they feel this is some sort of closed group?
I would caveat by saying England's game in the six nations kicked off at four so that may well have kept some people away...

markymark

Post by markymark »

Prior to the Bayern game their were dads with their kids who obviously felt comfortable. I didn't have any angry hot heads around me.
I think a fair few will do the let him go with dignity line but then wring their hands when he doesn't.
Best way is no aggressive swearing, no pissed up angry individuals and have some fun and humour , because the fun isn't coming from Arsene's team.
People are now starting to accept the marches so the key is keeping it going. After all two marches appear to have put the whole club in a spin. I also note less Wengo keyboard warriors giving it large as well. Momentum is the key.

General

Post by General »

mzk90 wrote:Can whoever is looking at Colney, please PM me.
I'll be up for it. It's about 30-40minute drive from me and I'll need to take the day off work.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:The number of protesters has likely plateaued as we didn't get a considerable swell in numbers after Tuesday. Unless the team goes on an extensive run of poor results this is unlikely to change. Softening our stance or broadening the message won't change anything. There are people who joined the chants along the route but wouldn't join in. I wonder if they feel this is some sort of closed group?

Also I disagree with the notion that these protests won't change anything and force Wenger to consider his position. If I felt this way I would've stayed away. Protesting against managers especially Arsenal ones is unprecedented and we've sent a powerful message through the media which has been picked up worldwide. As long as we continue to retain the media's interest the pressure will build on the club, evidenced by the recent club statement . The ultimate aim is to make his position untenable and in this regard the protests serve a particular purpose. Wenger has gone on record to say he watches match of the day amongst others so he's not closing his ears and pretending it's not happening.
Actually it's not, mate. There were big protests outside Highbury against Terry Neill.

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

mzk90 wrote:Can whoever is looking at Colney, please PM me.
pm sent

General

Post by General »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Actually it's not, mate. There were big protests outside Highbury against Terry Neill.
I'm not that old :lol: it's a bit before my time.

From what I've read, the protests were mostly inside the stadium with Neil out chants? Nothing large scale was planned outside Highbury.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

General wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

From what I've read, the protests were mostly inside the stadium with Neil out chants? Nothing large scale was planned outside Highbury.
The protests were outside the ground, usually after games. I am that old, sadly. :lol:

Good article here;

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2016 ... 83-part-2/

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Weather for Sat at West Brom is wind speed 18mph, some rain by 3, clouds at 12 :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Theoperator wrote:Weather for Sat at West Brom is wind speed 18mph, some rain by 3, clouds at 12 :?
Fucks sake if he can't fly in that he shouldn't be a pilot!! :lol: :wink:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

General wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I pretty much led the Neill protest, which to be honest didn't take long - he was gone within a couple of months or so (defeat at home to Walsall was the killer).... No internet or social media in those days - I remember knocking out an A4 leaflet entitled "Must Neill go? we consider his side of the story and why it won't wash" which was brandished on Match of The Day.

As I think I've already said on here, the very first game I ever went to was Arsenal v Blackpool 0-0 in 1966. They were lighting bonfires (yes, bonfires) on the North Bank and chanting "Wright Must Go". It was all very exciting for a five-year-old boy, and I thought that was what going to football was like every week!

So yes, there are precedents......but this is our greatest challenge yet, with the combination of an absentee American owner who is only interested in making money, a much-changed fan (sorry, "customer") base inside the ground, and of course, a particularly narcistic and self-centered individual at the centre of it all.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Weather for Sat at West Brom is wind speed 18mph, some rain by 3, clouds at 12
Wind is not the issue he's going to fly a race-course circuit.More important is cloud base.Of course is VFR flight [rules for small planes] allowed above the stadium in the first place.

General

Post by General »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
General wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I pretty much led the Neil protest, which to be honest didn't take long - he was gone within a couple of months or so (defeat at home to Walsall was the killer).... No internet or social media in those days - I remember knocking out an A4 leaflet entitled "Must Neill go - we consider his side of the story and why it won't wash" which was brandished on Match of The Day.

As I think I've already said on here, the very first game I ever went to was Arsenal v Blackpool in 1966. They were lighting bonfires (yes, bonfires) on the North Bank and singing "Wright Must Go". It was all very exciting for a five-year-old boy, and I thought that was what going to football was like every week!

So yes, there are precedents......but this is our greatest challenge yet, with the combination of an absentee American owner who is only interested in making money, a much-changed fan (sorry, "customer") base inside the ground, and of course, a particularly narcistic and self-centered individual at the centre of it all.

:barscarf: