Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Redarmy »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 am
Whatever happened to the squad that caused the catastrophic implosion of the last 5 games of last season does not appear to have been addressed. I'm not even sure Emery knows what happened, he looked completely shell shocked at the end of the europa league final.
The self destructiveness was still evident against both spurs and Watford.
Even though he has shipped out a lot of deadwood and brought 5 new players it is still there. What is the cause of this element in Arsenal's play?

Someone said chambers isn't the answer yet he's played in both games in which we've not conceded this season.

Whilst emery isn't hanging by a thread, mourinho has already submitted his application by treating every analysis he's given of arsenal this season as a job interview. He's already sat in Fergusons chair, he must be desperate to sit in wengers old seat.
The Gunners have made 14 errors leading directly to Premier League goals since August 2018, more than any other side.
They have also conceded a joint-league high 10 penalties since the start of last season, including three in the current campaign.
Since Unai Emery took charge, Arsenal have faced an unrivalled 47 Premier League shots after losing possession within 40m of their own goal.

All down to injuries apparently :rubchin:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

What I dont want to see happen is us fail to pull the trigger on Emery, if it comes to it, because of fear or misguided 'he just needs more time and to get rid of Wengers dross' statements, I said it at the end of last season, and others have said it above, the one place we significantly needed to improve was in defence and as yet we have not seen this happen.

Since he took the job the club has attempted to address the defensive issues, Leno, Papa, Torriera, Lichsteiner, Luiz, Saliba (future prospect),Tierney (he gets a pass due to injury) that is a significant investment and points to the fact that those at the top at least understand where we have a problem but in spite of this we are potentially worse and definitely no better.

This is one instance I dont think you can really blame the club, the players and the coach have to take responsibility. The reason I blame UE so heavily is the shape and positioning being completely wrong far too often. At times we've more holes than a Swiss cheese, individual mistakes can sometimes be compensated for when tactics and shape are right but we never see that, too often individual mistakes lead to a goal even when they are made in recoverable positions far from our goal. Whatever Emery is coaching them to do they either dont understand it or it is not working either way he has to understand this and adapt, he has seen 18 months worth of these same mistakes being made often by different players but seems unable to rectify them. It worries me that either he cant see it or wont see it.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Watford beaten 8 fucking 0 ?
I’ve put £20.00 quid on this idiot to be the next plg sacking!

bunch

Post by bunch »

In the new structure you can only give Emery partial credit for player acquisitions and disposals. His main job is where we seem to be failing, tactics and team selection.

I saw a stat on one of the Premier League shows that in the time he was Sevilla manager they allowed the third most attempts on goal in La Liga. Is this then what Emery-ball is all about?

Blim

Post by Blim »

I am all for giving the boss a chance but he has to sort this rabble out otherwise he has a shitstorm coming his way.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

bunch wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:31 am
In the new structure you can only give Emery partial credit for player acquisitions and disposals. His main job is where we seem to be failing, tactics and team selection.

I saw a stat on one of the Premier League shows that in the time he was Sevilla manager they allowed the third most attempts on goal in La Liga. Is this then what Emery-ball is all about?
I don't think he was kidding about the "rather win 4 - 3" thing. He seems to have the 3 bit sorted :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

So many people thought all we had to do was get rid of Wenger. How wrong they were. I always said it - Wenger was only the symptom. Wiggy Racoon Head is the disease. Nothing will change until the wig bothering cùnt is gone and we have an owner with a proper hunger for footballing success. :roll:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:52 pm
So many people thought all we had to do was get rid of Wenger. How wrong they were. I always said it - Wenger was only the symptom. Wiggy Racoon Head is the disease. Nothing will change until the wig bothering cùnt is gone and we have an owner with a proper hunger for footballing success. :roll:
Bollox DB, our squad is far better than the performances and results we are getting, thats down to Emery!
I said before, I cant think on a worse boss in my years as a gooner!
Terry neil took us to 3 fa cup finals and a european final, Rioch’s problems were man management, but he was a better tactician than this useless *word censored* and howe had an awful squad!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Bollox DB, our squad is far better than the performances and results we are getting, thats down to Emery!
Terry neil took us to 3 fa cup finals and a european final, Rioch’s problems were man management, but he was a better tactician than this useless *word censored* and howe had an awful squad!
And still you missing the fucking point sid. Are you telling me Emery appointed himself manager? No fucking wiggy did and Wiggy will stick with him long after he proves himself not up to the job.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Going back to Everton away in early April, we have been remarkably consistent in putting in awful performances.

Everton (a), Watford (a), Palace (h), Wolves (a), Leicester (a), Brighton (h), Chelsea in Baku, Liverpool (a), Watford (a) and today. All fucking abysmal.

We seem to be getting worse, more poorly organised and even more of a shambles. There is no justification for picking Xhaka every week. Our young players are being messed about and most players look worse after playing under Emery for a while.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm worrie that emery will still be here after the end of the season and 'Racoon Head' (copyrighted to DB) won't do anything ...

Is it me or does Freddie as assistant coach look like he's 'out of the loop' as emery only seems to talk to those he brought with him? Even though Freddie Can speak spanish very well. :?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:07 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:04 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
And still you missing the fucking point sid. Are you telling me Emery appointed himself manager? No fucking wiggy did and Wiggy will stick with him long after he proves himself not up to the job.
I dont think he will DB, I reckon kroenke jr will get shot of him, if we dont make clge, or even before if it becomes aparent we won’t,! But you’re still a c u n t :wink:

Blim

Post by Blim »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm worrie that emery will still be here after the end of the season and 'Racoon Head' (copyrighted to DB) won't do anything ...

Is it me or does Freddie as assistant coach look like he's 'out of the loop' as emery only seems to talk to those he brought with him? Even though Freddie Can speak spanish very well. :?
If we keep playing like we have and make no progress he will be gone, I want to give anybody a chance but FFS his selections somethings leave much to be desired.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Im keeping an open mind right now,

Whilst his selection of xhaka is mind boggling, he has also correctly shown great faith in Willock, Saka, and Dozer.

The latter who, he brought to the club and is becoming our best player.

He has also kept Chambers around who played well his first game and today.

His purchase of Torreira was also a really good buy. Ceballos is looking good but the other guy was clearly not fit to play for us last year.

Saliba and KT look good buys too.

Pepe i thought did well today, and it showed guts to step up and take the pen. He also played mostly out wide with saka in the middle. I think his first touch and control are good and he was mainly double teamed which created space in the middle for auba, saka, Torreira, Dozer to run in to.

So whilst our defence lurches from passable to horrendous, i do see some positives.

Imho he has to start saka and holding next week.

General

Post by General »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:44 pm
We seem to be getting worse, more poorly organised and even more of a shambles. There is no justification for picking Xhaka every week. Our young players are being messed about and most players look worse after playing under Emery for a while.
Xhaka’s presence is having a cascading effect on the team and surely a coach who swears by video analysis can see this?? Dick’s remit is coaching, team selection and game management and he’s failing on all counts. Defensive frailties, team looking punch drunk, poor discipline and subs on 70mins - This is all starting to look painfully familiar and you can predict what’s going to happen at United next week. The lack of an emerging philosophy and playing identity tell us everything we need to know. Strangely he’s abandoned the pragmatic approach that served him so well in the first half of last season in favour of an ideological stance and unless this changes soon he’ll be gone in the summer at the latest.