ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by g88ner »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:16 am
Arsenal are making a late move to sign Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz. The club are preparing a bid up to £25m. [@JackRosser_] #afc
No idea what he’s like as a player (apart from corner kick taking ability :x ) but only being a sub at Villa sets the alarm bells ringing… unless he’s a sub for other reasons like not signing a contract or recently injured?

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

gooner265 wrote:
Arsenal are making a late move to sign Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz. The club are preparing a bid up to £25m. [@JackRosser_] #afc
I was a bit meh about him when we were linked to him in the past but at around the price quoted he could be a decent purchase and less risky than Danillo. He is a number 6 though and would be a like for like Partey replacement/backup which means Xhaka still starts :rubchin:

He would add a new dimension to our corners routine :lol: .

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:46 am
gooner265 wrote:
I was a bit meh about him when we were linked to him in the past but at around the price quoted he could be a decent purchase and less risky than Danillo. He is a number 6 though and would be a like for like Partey replacement/backup which means Xhaka still starts :rubchin:

In theory I like the idea of signing a 6.

We can’t replace Partey like for like so a more conservative 6 with Zinchenko providing the creativity from his left back / midfield position kind of makes sense.

As you say though, doesn’t solve the Xhaka problem. Maybe that’s Vieira’s long term role though. No idea.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 || AMN has completed his move to Southampton. Loan with option to buy [Via - @FabrizioRomano].

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 Arsenal making offer for Aston Villa midfielder Douglas Luiz. #AVFC adamant 24yo Brazil int’l not for sale, but it’s understood he wants to leave & #AFC exploring if it’s possible before deadline. W/ @gunnerblog @greggevans40 @TheAthleticUK #DeadlineDay

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:52 am
Gunnerz4life wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

We can’t replace Partey like for like so a more conservative 6 with Zinchenko providing the creativity from his left back / midfield position kind of makes sense.

As you say though, doesn’t solve the Xhaka problem. Maybe that’s Vieira’s long term role though. No idea.
Arteta has said he sees Vieira challenging Xhaka for the 8 role

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

g88ner wrote:
Gunnerz4life wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

Douglas Luiz would be a better backup than Elneny, he is more progressive in his passing but yeah not sure if he can play a sole CDM role like Partey can. Partey is an immensely gifted footballer and on his day could be world class but he has been largely inconsistent for us and have spent way too much time on the treatment table. I would prefer us to sign someone who could replace Partey in the long term but whether Sambi or Luiz could be that person, I am not sure. I liked the look of the Brazilian guy Danillo but he would be too risky an option for this window.

By the way, found this on twitter :lol:

https://twitter.com/MarkyMBryans/status ... gr%5Etweet

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Aston Villa are close to an agreement with Wolves for midfielder Leander Dendoncker. Should they complete that deal, it would open the door for Douglas Luiz to join Arsenal today. [@SamiMokbel81_DM] #afc

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:09 am
g88ner wrote:
Gunnerz4life wrote:
gooner265 wrote:

Douglas Luiz would be a better backup than Elneny, he is more progressive in his passing but yeah not sure if he can play a sole CDM role like Partey can. Partey is an immensely gifted footballer and on his day could be world class but he has been largely inconsistent for us and have spent way too much time on the treatment table. I would prefer us to sign someone who could replace Partey in the long term but whether Sambi or Luiz could be that person, I am not sure. I liked the look of the Brazilian guy Danillo but he would be too risky an option for this window.

By the way, found this on twitter :lol:

https://twitter.com/MarkyMBryans/status ... gr%5Etweet
Danillo is only 20 and available in January apparently, probably too early to dive straight in especially as we have Lakonga

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

We better get a midfielder in, yet again it feels like we're leaving ourselves short, everything looks rosy at the moment due to easy fixtures but things can change quickly, especially with yet another injury crisis looming.

It feels like we could finish anywhere between 3rd and 6th depending on how deep the squad is at the moment we are 2 players away from good depth.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Bellerin to Barcelona progressing. Not done, but told it's now 'really close'. Talks ongoing with Arsenal about how the deal will be done (agreement between clubs or termination).

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:44 am
gooner265 wrote:
No idea what he’s like as a player (apart from corner kick taking ability :x ) but only being a sub at Villa sets the alarm bells ringing… unless he’s a sub for other reasons like not signing a contract or recently injured?

I listened to an episode of "off the ball" podcast the other day and they were making the point that the victims and ath madrid are generally recognised as two clubs who are very shrewd in the transfer market and both are linked with luiz who slippy g isnt picking even though they are struggling, and the consensus amongst the journo's is that it is a bad refection on manager not player

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:11 am
Bellerin to Barcelona progressing. Not done, but told it's now 'really close'. Talks ongoing with Arsenal about how the deal will be done (agreement between clubs or termination).
How the mighty have fallen! I'll drive this helmet there later on if it means getting rid of the useless c.unt once and for all ! :barscarf: :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Livarpool trying to get Arthur Melo on loan from Juventus....we could have done with him

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Looks like the little chat Jesus had with Douglas Luiz was a "tapping up" chat. Wonder if he got on the coach back to Villa or stayed at the Emirates? He'd be a good addition to the squad and a DM that can take corners.