Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

wilson2.0

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by wilson2.0 »

If you want to see what a shit manager who needs the sack looks like. Look at Ten Hag and Man United. Look at their inability to maintain possession under any sort of pressure, and their inability to stop their goal from being peppered with shots. Our ability to keep clean sheets and reduce teams to limited efforts on our goal, is a testament to Arteta's coaching.

We are by no means above a poor performance and getting beat. However think back to the flogging and whippings we used to get . 5-1 twice v Bayern. 6-0 v Chelsea. 8-2 Man United. 6-3 Man City. 5-1 Man City. I think Liverpool did us 4-0 on multiple occasions. Even the stupid 4-4 draws against Tottenham and Newcastle, the 7-5 win over Reading was also comical. We have left that era behind - we wont get flogged like we used to

These days we are a solid defensive unit and are as comfortable out of possession, as we are in possession.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, Arteta is more likely to get poached than sacked. Barcelona already made an enquiry; this is after PSG approached Arteta last year.

If we sacked Arteta, and he were out of a job during the time Pep called his time on Man City..............guess what happens....................

this is the part where the naysayers say 'Man City would never give Arteta the City job', when actually they would without hesitation and bothering to look at other candidates

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I've seen some of the best football over the last month since the Invicibles era, last night cruising at 4 up, the ball was being popped around one touch by half the team.

The reference Harlem Globetrotters came out, if you closed your eyes that passage of play could have been Vieira, Henry, Pires but it was modern day Arsenal.

Yeah it was "only" Sheff Utd, but it wasn't that long ago we used to get bullied and turned over at places like this.

Mikel has to take credit, for turning around a dysfunctional team in December to what we have seen since the mid winter break. Havertz is getting better with every game.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Of course arteta deserves credit but his subs are still very frustrating.

Why not take Odegaard off to save him?

I get it that Ben white was running around the place but why not tell him to ease off since we were 6 up.

I hope he wakes up regarding Vieira. The fella is shite. He looks like a child out there.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

You have to wonder once his favourites are back will he put them straight into the team.

I know jesus is coming back from an injury but he should of scored when one on one.

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 am

I get it that Ben white was running around the place but why not tell him to ease off since we were 6 up.

I hope he wakes up regarding Vieira. The fella is shite. He looks like a child out there.

I was outraged and disgusted when the talk was that we were willing to spend £65m on a guy that was largely shit for the chavs for 3 consecutive seasons, but honestly I think vieira is a worse signing than the german dud and by a distance too - there is literally nothing positive about the guy, and his is far too lightweight to succeed in premier league. Whoever authorised signing this c.unt should be sacked imo

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:02 am

It’s well publicised that Ben White has been carrying a knock few weeks back.I think it might have been his calf.

nut flush gooner

Fucking hell, even the morning after a 6-0 win some Gooners have to find a moan.

I wonder if Lee Gunner has a cult following from some people on this forum.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 am
Fucking hell, even the morning after a 6-0 win some Gooners have to find a moan.

Alway strive to do better

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Still amazed people want to replace Arteta. And so many are not even deliberate with who they would replace him with and would appear to be happy with anyone. De Zerbi always gets a mention, but look how rubbish Brighton are in defence. They concede chances and goals galore, whereas under Arteta we have become the best defensive team in the league. What's the appeal with De Zerbi? Just bizarre.

We also have Stan Kroenke's accountants complaining about how much players cost. Who gives a F how much someone costs. And how much longer can people keep melting over Haavertz when he is performing? Is your default position Havertz is shit? Just like its your default position Kieran Tierney should be the club captain?

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 am

Seen a view of his videos. His entire philosophy is to sack people and in his own mind this raises standard. If everyone is fearful of their job, people will perform.

Reality is, people who manage like this don't often do well. Most people would quit their job without being given a sense of job security. If we had of sacked Arteta when we finished 5th in 21-22, what are the odds we would be in a better position than we are know?

nut flush gooner

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:41 am
Still amazed people want to replace Arteta. And so many are not even deliberate with who they would replace him with and would appear to be happy with anyone. De Zerbi always gets a mention, but look how rubbish Brighton are in defence. They concede chances and goals galore, whereas under Arteta we have become the best defensive team in the league. What's the appeal with De Zerbi? Just bizarre.

We also have Stan Kroenke's accountants complaining about how much players cost. Who gives a F how much someone costs. And how much longer can people keep melting over Haavertz when he is performing? Is your default position Havertz is shit? Just like its your default position Kieran Tierney should be the club captain?
It's embarrassing, the progress over the last three years is immeasurable. We were dead in the water 20/30 points behind City and Liverpool 5 seasons ago, and now we are up there and competing. And yet people still pick at the faults rather than enjoy the ride.

Arteta's tactics are a large part of this, the fact that Declan Rice has said that he came to Arsenal to learn things and improve is testament to Arteta's standing in the world of managers. The easy thing would have been to go to City remember.

Viv Andersons Tache

wilson2.0 wrote:

I think the Havertz thing is weirder than the arteta situation to be honest. Arteta despite having the strongest defence in the league and deadliest attack has his own fans calling for his head still. (Admittedly mostly on the internet)

However Havertz ? Some folks have decided before he even kicked a ball for us that he wasn’t good enough and will maintain that even if he’s scoring goals and providing assists and impressing. He’s on 8 goals now this season his first at the club, I think if he hit 25 he’d still have people complaining about him. It’s a phenomenon like when everyone was stockpiling toilet paper during covid.

augie

Post by augie »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

I think the Havertz thing is weirder than the arteta situation to be honest. Arteta despite having the strongest defence in the league and deadliest attack has his own fans calling for his head still. (Admittedly mostly on the internet)

However Havertz ? Some folks have decided before he even kicked a ball for us that he wasn’t good enough and will maintain that even if he’s scoring goals and providing assists and impressing. He’s on 8 goals now this season his first at the club, I think if he hit 25 he’d still have people complaining about him. It’s a phenomenon like when everyone was stockpiling toilet paper during covid.

Come back to me when he plays well against a good team - nobody denying that these team performances have been very good of late but in those games we played ONE top team (the victims) and the german dud was shite

Viv Andersons Tache

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:18 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

Come back to me when he plays well against a good team - nobody denying that these team performances have been very good of late but in those games we played ONE top team (the victims) and the german dud was shite
Precisely what I am saying, how he performs is irrelevant for some. He played well against Liverpool, his run behind the defence causes the first goal and the chaos he was causing got konate sent off. Newcastle aren’t a bad side and he caused chaos againest them too.

Plays well againest a good side?bloke scored the winning goal in a champions league final. Like I said it just doesn’t matter how he performs.

augie

Post by augie »

Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:18 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

Precisely what I am saying, how he performs is irrelevant for some. He played well against Liverpool, his run behind the defence causes the first goal and the chaos he was causing got konate sent off. Newcastle aren’t a bad side and he caused chaos againest them too.

Plays well againest a good side?bloke scored the winning goal in a champions league final. Like I said it just doesn’t matter how he performs.

I love this "cause chaos" bullshit because it is so undefinable that a person can neither agree nor disagree with it :roll: I tell you he was shit against the victims and the only thing you can point out to defend him is when he was put through on goals in a 1 v 1 and fluffed his lines :roll: :oops: :oops:
I find it staggering that a grown man (assuming that is what you are) would use one goal in a 3 season spell of mediocrity at the chavs to justify him as a good player, and especially when that goal was scored almost 3 years ago !!