Manure A Sun May 12th KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Re: Manure A Sun May 12th KO 430pm

Post by Almunia is a clown »

This season's points total is the third highest in Arsenal's history, 86points, behind 87 in 02, & Invincible's '04 90 :barscarf:

Next highest seasons are '71 & '31, adjusted to 3 points per win / average points per game multiplied for 38 matches.

The idea that this team, is well below previous standards, with many young players who are still still learning is bollox. They've already beaten the points total of most of our legendary English League Championship winning sides. :box: :barscarf:

We played shite but got the win, that's all that matters,, that was always seen a the sign of a strong side. We finished 2nd in 1998-99 by a point, with 78 points, no one here would seriously suggest that side was total crap, neither is this Arsenal side.

Arsenal English Football League Championship winning sides.

Year APG 38 games

30-31 2.238 85 points
32-33 1.976 75 points
33-34 2 76 points
34-35 1.928 73 points
37-38 1.738 73 points

47-48 1.952 74 points
52-53 1.785 67 points
70-71 2.238 85 points

88-89 76
90-91 83 (-2 points deduction)
97-98 78
01-02 87

03-04 90

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:09 am
This season's points total is the third highest in Arsenal's history, 86points, behind 87 in 02, & Invincible's '04 90 :barscarf:

Next highest seasons are '71 & '31, adjusted to 3 points per win / average points per game multiplied for 38 matches.

The idea that this team, is well below previous standards, with many young players who are still still learning is bollox. They've already beaten the points total of most of our legendary English League Championship winning sides. :box: :barscarf:

We played shite but got the win, that's all that matters,, that was always seen a the sign of a strong side. We finished 2nd in 1998-99 by a point, with 78 points, no one here would seriously suggest that side was total crap, neither is this Arsenal side.

Arsenal English Football League Championship winning sides.

Year APG 38 games

30-31 2.238 85 points
32-33 1.976 75 points
33-34 2 76 points
34-35 1.928 73 points
37-38 1.738 73 points

47-48 1.952 74 points
52-53 1.785 67 points
70-71 2.238 85 points

88-89 76
90-91 83 (-2 points deduction)
97-98 78
01-02 87

03-04 90
Well said, Augie will tell you that the standards of this PL arent the same as in those other seasons. But the reality is if you exclude the bottom 3 any of the teams can give you a bloody nose on any given matchday. And the top 5/6 are all capable of beating each other.

This is an exceptional Arsenal side, the fact they could end up one point behind the invincible and still not win the fucker is crazy.

The likes of Augie also mention the amount of money we have spent over the last five years, well Chelsea and Manure have spent a lot more over the last 3 and flattered to deceive.

And the worst thing, is the terminology Pep's cone boy still gets used after what the team has done over the last two years, this season having the best defence in the league and losing one game to a top 6 rival. Utter disrespect and we don't need fans like this anywhere near the stadium.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

I agree, some of the negativity is way over the top at times but I think it stems from the fact that it has been a great season on reflection, and yet it’s likely we’ll just fail by just a couple of points. (Newcastle away :banghead: )
However, there are so many positives to take at the moment, and considering we are up against pure corruption and rule-breaking over the years with no punishment, things look bright.
Yes, Arteta’s in game tactics can sometimes be baffling. And we are carrying a few squad players.
But come on, calling Saka a c*nt because he has a quiet game is ridiculous.
Don’t hold out much hope of the filth doing us any favours but you never know.
Stay positive Gooners!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:26 am
I agree, some of the negativity is way over the top at times but I think it stems from the fact that it has been a great season on reflection, and yet it’s likely we’ll just fail by just a couple of points. (Newcastle away :banghead: )
However, there are so many positives to take at the moment, and considering we are up against pure corruption and rule-breaking over the years with no punishment, things look bright.
Yes, Arteta’s in game tactics can sometimes be baffling. And we are carrying a few squad players.
But come on, calling Saka a c*nt because he has a quiet game is ridiculous.
Don’t hold out much hope of the filth doing us any favours but you never know.
Stay positive Gooners!
No one mentions this. City are 100% guilty but having the best lawyers in the world means they will probably get away with it.

Any other situation and we are champions by a country mile this season. This is on the FA that allowed Chelsea and City to be taken over by dubious owners.

EssexGooner1981

Post by EssexGooner1981 »

The trend is pointing increasingly upwards since Arteta started and that's fine by me. It would surprise me incredibly if this team didn't start picking up trophies because if it doesn't then we are not winning against the laws of averages.

Teams and players have bad days. Get over it. Not every game against every other team is a nailed on win, the Prem is hard, whoever and wherever you play. I'd take any win at OT any day of the week.

Comparing this team to the Invincibles, one of the greatest teams ever to grace the league of all time, is silly. Yes, it's not the invincibles, no, we're not Barca '10.

It's May the 13th and we're top of the league! :barscarf:

wibble

Post by wibble »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:26 am
We didn't play well yesterday but we won. We won at a ground we ALWAYS tend to lose at and we won under incredible pressure. It's a sign of how far we have come.
We're unbeaten in 2024 away from home in the PL (I think), we've won almost every game away and we had a fucking tough April where we had to play 8 games in a month!
We don't have a big squad, not of quality, but fuck me that is a hell of a record we have this year. Last month we were all doubting that we could go to Sp*rs and United and win...... We've done it. We've pushed the biggest cheats ever in world football to the final game, they sign 80m-100m players to sit on the bench ffs!! It's almost impossible to win a league competition against that. We blew a great chance last year through inexperience but we're here again pushing them all the way. They have massive pressure on them against The Spuds now because they know if they don't win, we're hot favorites again. Our team is on the cusp of greatness, a couple of good signings in the summer should ensure we are challenging again next season.
We should be proud of our team, we're really pushing a fake, false, cheating club to the limit. We wanted our Arsenal to challenge again and be competitive........ We are! :barscarf:
This. After the Villa game plenty thought we would bottle it and we’ve won every game since. We’re back up there challenging having had many years of our title challenge over in November and playing for the top 4 trophy!
I predicted a 3rd place finish at the start of the season so pleased to have bettered that and delighted we’ve taken it down to the last game of the season :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

shu wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 am
EC1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 pm
Augie - Without a shadow of a doubt your the worst.

French cock, c*unt this, c*unt that, lesbian blah blah

No idea who you hang around with who are Arsenal fans, but I guarantee the fans I mix with would blank you straight away, and tou would be getting away with one if they did.

What is wrong with people?

We have taken it to the last game yet some just love to moan and criticise.

Just to add, this doesn’t apply to the majority of posters.

Well said , he is a cancer on this site . I know friends who would more than just block him.

Arsenal have now one 15/17 games and May lose out to citeh who haven’t lost a league game since December yet it’s basque this / cone boy that , him and retro (yes another negative twat) carry on with it . Tbh I can’t see Augie celebrate win if it did happen !!!!

Obviously he would still want ‘peps cone boy , Ben White and Havertz out for starters . He must live an awful , negative life but has nothing but a negative effect on here .

Fuck me, the Norfolk yokel's back. Listen mate, you are free to disagree with any opinion I post on here, but who the fuck are you calling a twat? Mind you, that's mild compared to your previous comments. You're the only person I've ever personally abused on here and that was in response to your disgusting previous remarks and now you're being abusive again.

If you can't tolerate the views of people whose opinion differs to yours, then a forum isn't the place for you. Wanker.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Poor performance, to say the least, but got the 3 points, which I suppose is all that matters. Utd have been dreadful all season, but we played a shadow team yesterday and made very heavy work of it.

If ever there was evidence that Partey ought to have gone last summer, then that was it, although there's been plenty beforehand. Slow and unaware of danger around him and I'm nervous as fuck whenever he's on the ball. Someone (I think it was Arsenal til I die) compared him to Sissoko and that's not far off the mark. Arteta needs to get shot of him this summer.

Same goes for Jesus, who was never the goal scoring striker we needed (and still need) and now offers nothing. He was woeful in his brief cameo yesterday.

Havertz did well for the goal and has improved a lot in the second half of the season, but isn't the answer. With a proper goal scoring striker in the side, we would probably have won the league this season, whereas now it's unlikely. It poses a big question for Arteta, because it will be unforgivable if he doesn't bring in the CF we need, but I've a horrible feeling that he'll stick with Havertz up front. We'll see.

I think we all know that Odegaard is a superb technical footballer and can be devastating when given time and space, but McTominay and Amrabat didn't give him a second on the ball yesterday and he disappeared as he's inclined to do. As others have said, Saka should have been subbed instaed of Trossard, but it's another Arteta blindspot.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think we can be a bit hard on Saka. The guy is amazing and it's easy to lose our shit when he has an off day. He seems to be brilliant or total pants, there's not an 'ok' level to him really. I was certainly shouting for him to be subbed on the hour yesterday, he had an awful game......but let's not forget, he's 22 years old, he's flogged to death because we don't have much option to replace him and in what seems to have been a mediocre season for him......he has 16 goals and 9 assists. That's fucking excellent by any midfielders standards. We should cut him a bit of slack now and then. :rubchin:

EssexGooner1981

Post by EssexGooner1981 »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:01 pm
I think we can be a bit hard on Saka. The guy is amazing and it's easy to lose our shit when he has an off day. He seems to be brilliant or total pants, there's not an 'ok' level to him really. I was certainly shouting for him to be subbed on the hour yesterday, he had an awful game......but let's not forget, he's 22 years old, he's flogged to death because we don't have much option to replace him and in what seems to have been a mediocre season for him......he has 16 goals and 9 assists. That's fucking excellent by any midfielders standards. We should cut him a bit of slack now and then. :rubchin:
To consider selling our 22-year old top goalscorer and assumedly replace him with an unknown is frankly bonkers.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:01 pm

Yes, I'm not a usual critic of his and he can be outstanding as we all know, but he seems to have had quite a few mediocre games this season. He does seem to be overplayed and I don't see the problem with resting him occasionally, or subbing him more often, when both Martinelli and Trossard can play on that side.

I've gone on about Neto at Wolves for a while and I might well be tempted to play him as first choice right winger, although he seems injury prone. In many respects, he's more devastating than Saka. Same goes for Olise at Palace. Still, Saka is hardly a problem and we have proper deficiencies to put right.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I would just like to see us switch the wingers for 20 minutes or so and give the full backs something else to think about.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

My fear is we have been light on goals in the run in. That brain fart from Raya vs Spurs, plus not putting another one or two past United has given an opportunity for City to tonk a woeful West Ham while we toil against Everton. Seriously. If City draw with Spurs this is still not over. City will tonk West Ham for certain. We would need to win very well on the last game. Not easy. Everton have the third best defence in the League.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:02 pm
My fear is we have been light on goals in the run in. That brain fart from Raya vs Spurs, plus not putting another one or two past United has given an opportunity for City to tonk a woeful West Ham while we toil against Everton. Seriously. If City draw with Spurs this is still not over. City will tonk West Ham for certain. We would need to win very well on the last game. Not easy. Everton have the third best defence in the League.

Yep, been thinking the very same thing Bob. I expect them to rattle a minimum of 4 past West Ham and that we’ll huff and puff to a 1-0 against Everton. Put in a performance like yesterdays or the one against spurs and we might well struggle to win.

We need to play high tempo, one and two touch, which is what we were doing during that run of scoring 4s, 5s and 6s. Play in the ponderous manner of yesterday and we’ll struggle.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:02 pm

Yep, been thinking the very same thing Bob. I expect them to rattle a minimum of 4 past West Ham and that we’ll huff and puff to a 1-0 against Everton. Put in a performance like yesterdays or the one against spurs and we might well struggle to win.

We need to play high tempo, one and two touch, which is what we were doing during that run of scoring 4s, 5s and 6s. Play in the ponderous manner of yesterday and we’ll struggle.
If they draw v Spurs and beat West Ham 4-0 with us winning 1-0 GD would be level and they win the League on goals scored. Our GD should have been well out of their reach. It really isn’t that hard to catch now. Even if we win 3-0, if they beat West Ham 6-0 they win the League. That’s how close it is because they have scored more goals than us now.