Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

EssexGooner1981

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by EssexGooner1981 »

....What I do like is that our goals come from everyone (total football?.....) whereas City are very reliant on Haaland and Foden for goals.

This team scores a lot of goals and concedes very little. So something is working and I like that.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

EssexGooner1981 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 pm
....What I do like is that our goals come from everyone (total football?.....) whereas City are very reliant on Haaland and Foden for goals.

This team scores a lot of goals and concedes very little. So something is working and I like that.
Some fans want a 'proper manager' like Conte or Mourinho. Some even think its a good idea to go for Inzaghi despite the fact he literally has no English-speaking ability. People need to realise this isnt FIFA, players and managers actually work together on the pitch, and not being able to communicate in real time would be a massive problem.

Likely we finish 2nd on 89 points. Which means Arteta gets a new deal.

Step

Post by Step »

Main weakness is his mismanagement of players.
Must get rid of Jesus, Chenko, Nketia, Nelson, Elneny and Cedric, but likely we will lose two absolute gems in Ramsdale and Smith Rowe.
Playing the same team for the last 5 matches is naive madness. We scraped over the line v Spuds and Utd.

Partey is nothing but a second rate Gilberto. He should also go. Has one speed and makes the late Crab Wilkins look forward thinking.

We all know Arteta has a problem re goalkeeping decisions. He puller off a real coup in getting Ramsdale but has undone his good work in bringing in Raya a keeper who is not English and is older than England's number 2 Ramsdale.

Mark my words whoever gets Smith Rowe will have the next Cole Palmer (providing he stays fit) which is not only glaringly obvious but also very frustrating and short sighted on the part of our 'boss'.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Step wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 9:43 am
Main weakness is his mismanagement of players.
Must get rid of Jesus, Chenko, Nketia, Nelson, Elneny and Cedric, but likely we will lose two absolute gems in Ramsdale and Smith Rowe.
Playing the same team for the last 5 matches is naive madness. We scraped over the line v Spuds and Utd.

Partey is nothing but a second rate Gilberto. He should also go. Has one speed and makes the late Crab Wilkins look forward thinking.

We all know Arteta has a problem re goalkeeping decisions. He puller off a real coup in getting Ramsdale but has undone his good work in bringing in Raya a keeper who is not English and is older than England's number 2 Ramsdale.

Mark my words whoever gets Smith Rowe will have the next Cole Palmer (providing he stays fit) which is not only glaringly obvious but also very frustrating and short sighted on the part of our 'boss'.
This is a joke right? Ramsdale is jittery and like Zinchenko makes the rest of the backline nervous. Raya offers a calmness to the entire backline. Swapping out Raya for Ramsdale shows conviction by Arteta. Would have been easy to stick with the crowd favorite, but reality is Ramsdale doesn't have the brain for football club wanting to win the title. How shamelss was he sticking his tongue out to the Brentford fans after he had made that howler? We scored to go 2-1 up in the 85th minute, still 10-15 minutes to play accounting for injury time, you would think he would be switched on and ready to concentrate as Brentford come for us, but instead, like Zinchenko, plays up the crowd.

He even said on a podcast with Ian Wright, that he cant concentrate for long periods. Raya is much better fit than Ramsdale. The clean sheets prove it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

After this season I'm now of the view that it almost doesn't matter who our manager is in terms of winning the league. It's actually impossible until the cheats are finally dealt with...err and they will never be dealt with, so the cycle is hopeless

Fair play to Arteta for being a manager bold enough to take them on and come mighty close. If we did deal with the problem positions and got rid of the last few bits of shit, we'll probably end up with 95 points next season, reach the CL semi, go further in the cups.....and still watch City win the quadruple and go the whole season unbeaten. I actually think they could do it. It's the last remaining motivation and easily within their grasp. Game over. Great try by Arteta

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 6:45 am
After this season I'm now of the view that it almost doesn't matter who our manager is in terms of winning the league. It's actually impossible until the cheats are finally dealt with...err and they will never be dealt with, so the cycle is hopeless

Fair play to Arteta for being a manager bold enough to take them on and come mighty close. If we did deal with the problem positions and got rid of the last few bits of shit, we'll probably end up with 95 points next season, reach the CL semi, go further in the cups.....and still watch City win the quadruple and go the whole season unbeaten. I actually think they could do it. It's the last remaining motivation and easily within their grasp. Game over. Great try by Arteta
How long before a lot more people get completely bored by City winning year after year do you think?
It’s not just 4 in a row - it will be 6 out of last 7 years. (Celtic have just won 11 of last 12 years in Scotland) SPL quite comparable to PL but without the money.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Tbh I'd be happy with that. Quad and Pep might fuck off. Pep has always gone with the money but he is a top manager as well.
If he fucked off it might go a bit man u after alex if they get some idiot in. Probably a bit to much to ask for a decade of idiots but still...

EssexGooner1981

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

How long before a lot more people get completely bored by City winning year after year do you think?
It’s not just 4 in a row - it will be 6 out of last 7 years. (Celtic have just won 11 of last 12 years in Scotland) SPL quite comparable to PL but without the money.
Already very, very bored. I think most fans across the country are bored to tears.

EssexGooner1981

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Tbh I'd be happy with that. Quad and Pep might fuck off. Pep has always gone with the money but he is a top manager as well.
If he fucked off it might go a bit man u after alex if they get some idiot in. Probably a bit to much to ask for a decade of idiots but still...
Hopefully.

I fear a resurgent Chelsea next year, they seem to be getting their act together somewhat.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I think its happening now Rob. As I mentioned before, I know a lot of people who spent years and years following their favourite PL club over land and sea but changes of ownership, TV rights, ticket prices, commercial greed, access (lack of) to tickets, the total farce of FFP etc, have all started driving them away to follow non league football and local clubs. If you look at lower league football there's a whole bunch of teams who have benefitted from spiralling crowds and in no small part to people being disillusioned by the shit at the top end. If you look at who the top eight are going to be this year - Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man U - only Villa would be anything approaching a 'fairytale'. The others all have the biggest wage bills, stadia, richest owners etc, and I just can't see it being any other way. In fact some of those teams like Chelsea and United have had their worst seasons for a generation but still face the prospect of European qualification because the "have nots" still can't bridge the gap, despite their shiteness!

People will drag up Leicester for years to come just like people talk about Wigan winning the FA Cup in 2013 or Greece winning Euro 2004 but these things will gradually just become yesterday's news and fewer and fewer stories like that will ever emerge again. The FA Cup is a great example - ask someone about great giant killings they remember and you'll hear about Hereford, York, Wrexham, Stevenage and a few others but no many in recent years. The big clubs can't be arsed with it - replays are now scrapped and giant killings watered down to the odd academy team getting beaten by a side a division or two below

The 3 clubs that got promoted last year sum it all up - they've been shite. I won't miss any of them. Luton was a nice little story while it lasted but add back Forest and Everton's points deductions and they were down long ago in any other season. Forest have been back a couple of years and spent hundreds of millions just to cling on. Burnley walked it last year in the Championship but despite their new ownership and 'super cool' Vinny Kompany at the helm, have been absolutely desperate....5 wins all season. What a yawn it must be for them too

Its boring - really boring. I used to take the piss out of German friends by saying "I wonder if Bayern might win it this year", and the same could be said of PSG, Celtic, Barca or Real, Juve for 7 years in a row etc......but we are now every bit as bad, if not worse in some instances.

The TV companies rule the roost now and they don't give a fuck what you or I think. We're very soon going to be seeing PL games in the States, the Far East, Saudi Arabia etc and that for me will end up being the final straw for me. I can honestly say, I'll be packing in the whole thing when that inevitable day comes. It will bring new found riches for the top clubs and the gap will get wider and they might as well then introduce the European Super League, or even World Super League......it certainly couldn't be as boring as a top heavy PL where the lower teams have zero chance of survival and City get to roll off 20 wins on the bounce. That is more boring than anything !

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Unfortunately the loss of old school fans won’t touch the sides. We have millions of numpties ready to fill their seats.

The other development is millions of African clowns all over social media ridiculing The Arsenal at every step. They have no clue about English football and what City have been allowed to do. They’d rather start posts off with some copy and pasted gibberish about Messi being the GOAT until he saw Pep. Total fucking nonsense.

You then have click bait sites and TalkSport making the whole football debate a fucking circus. Clowns like Cundy, Goldstein, O Hara. Football is in the gutter. It’s a shadow of what it was in the late 90s.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

An Article and a Video Interview with Mikel Arteta on the BBC Website: (With Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/te ... in-content

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has spoken of the "mess" the club was in when he first took charge.

When the former captain joined in December 2019, the north London side were sitting 10th in the Premier League and playing under interim head coach Freddie Ljungberg having sacked Unai Emery in November.
He went on to lift the FA Cup trophy in his first season in charge and has since returned the side to playing Champions League football and competing for the league title.

The Arsenal role was Arteta's first as a manager having previously spent three years as an assistant coach under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.
"You get the opportunity straight away to go to Arsenal Football Club, which is in a moment that is very complicated, very divided," he told Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague in an exclusive interview for BBC Sport.

"The energy, it's difficult to manage problems with ownership, problems with supporters. It is not a real clear identity of how the team wants to build the squad or wants to play the game and results are not going your way. I'm hearing a lot of things but I left three-and-a-half years before that and I knew it was happening.

"So I said 'listen, this is not about the quality of the player or who is going to play better as a winger or that system or that formation or that training methodology. The issue is much deeper than that. The issue is in our roots'.
"So I get everybody together in one room one day and I put the whole room down. It was all a mess.
"I said 'this is what I hear and this is the perception of you guys from the outside. So if you want me to help you, you need to put this together and then we can start to work. We're going to try to have fun and enjoy together'."

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says "you have to very brave" when pushing your own ideas as a manager.
The Spaniard became the Gunners head coach in December 2019, having been part of Pep Guardiola's Manchester City backroom staff since 2016 following his retirement from playing.

Despite some early difficulties, Arteta has turned the side into Premier League title challengers and won the FA Cup during his four-and-a-half years in charge.
Speaking to Spanish football journalist Guillem Ballague in an exclusive BBC interview, the 42-year-old said: "You have to reflect very much on what you want to do. This is not poetry or ideology or because you want to impress somebody, it's because you really feel it. Even when you have to wait, you have to find a way to do [what you want].

"You have to find the people who are going to help you to do it because by yourself you're not going to do it. When you do that, you have to be determined and you have to start the journey and that journey may be left or right, or up or down, but you have to get there.
"I think you have to be very brave because if you don't really feel it and if you don't do what you really feel, how the hell are you going to transmit it [to your team]."

For the second campaign in a row, the north London side have pushed holders Manchester City close in the Premier League title race.
While it is not in their own hands, Arteta's side could still win their first league trophy in 20 years on Sunday if results go their way.
"We've been preparing for this for years I think now," he said. "You want to prepare for this today or tomorrow or Friday [and] it's not gonna work. We've been preparing for this for many months and a lot of people are contributing so much to be living these kind of things right now.
"I will have to do it like we have always done it - in a really determined way. Understanding why it has taken us all the way to here and making sure that we are so convinced that we are ready to make the next step. With that belief, I think anything can happen."

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta says it is "a big moment" for him and his family after being honoured at the Spanish Embassy in London on Wednesday night.

The 42-year-old received the Royal Order of Isabella the Catholic, which is a Spanish civil order of honour granted to persons and institutions in recognition of extraordinary services to Spain or the promotion of international relations and cooperation with other nations.
Speaking to BBC Sport at the ceremony, Arteta said: "It's a huge honour as you can imagine.

"When I was told about it I couldn't really understand it. It makes my family really proud, it's a big moment for all of us and it's such a recognition and hopefully I can continue to represent our country in a beautiful way.

"It's a huge recognition. It's a big day for all of us. I have all my family here with me, [it is] a proud day. It's been 24 years away from my country and now everything makes sense."

Asked whether it was a good omen before their game on Sunday in which they are trying to win their first Premier League title in 20 years, the Spaniard said: "Maybe it's the signal we needed.

"Especially after what happened last night [with Manchester City beating Tottenham], but we have a beautiful day ahead of us on Sunday and hopefully the magic can happen.

"That's it. We have to do our deal. We know what we need in order to be champions so let's do that."

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Basically he's confirming that the rot had set in long before fall guy Emery took the club over - 3 and a half years before he says.....which brings me back to the obvious point of why the f+++ would anyone entertain a single word that Arsene Wenger told them in this day and age. The damage that fucker did has taken almost six years since he fucked off to even start repairing. It makes me so fucked off it's untrue!

Wenger came to English football when it was on its knees - only back in Europe for 3-4 years still staffed by halfwits like "Big Ron" Atkinson, Howard Wilkinson, Joe Royle and a load of other 1970s/80s dinosaurs with their 'little Englander' mindsets. It wasn't hard to look good amongst that lot was it? David Dein had the bravery to appoint 'Jonny Foreigner', who then had the free pick of a golden generation of French players who went on to win everything at International level, at a time when the rest of English football hero worshipped the likes of Stan Collymore and Jason McAteer. Once Wenger did his bit with only one real opponent, and the other foreign coaches came flocking, he was quickly found out. Maureen had his number tactically and he got away with the "woe is me" shit with the stadium finances etc. He never won anything in Europe because he was regularly outsmarted by foreign coaches from the off. As soon as the Klopp's, Pep's and even Podgychinos came over, the sad old c.unt was shown up for what he really was. Well done mate, you're better than Alan Pardew and Joe Kinnear but you're an absolute fucking goon compared to the rest of the Europe

What a total c.untslop he really was. Still dines out on being 'Le Professeur' and all the revolutionary changes he made when all he did was pick up what had worked so well in France and other countries, gift wrapped by the best and boldest director in the club's history, and showed up mid 90s English football for what it was truly worth.

The price for that was 10 years+ of stagnation and contraction and the mess Emery and now Arteta have had to deal with. His statue should be fucking pulled down and thrown in the river. C.unt

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Agree with Every Word SteveO

It makes me angry just hearing the cun.ts voice.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:44 am
Basically he's confirming that the rot had set in long before fall guy Emery took the club over - 3 and a half years before he says.....which brings me back to the obvious point of why the f+++ would anyone entertain a single word that Arsene Wenger told them in this day and age. The damage that fucker did has taken almost six years since he fucked off to even start repairing. It makes me so fucked off it's untrue!

Wenger came to English football when it was on its knees - only back in Europe for 3-4 years still staffed by halfwits like "Big Ron" Atkinson, Howard Wilkinson, Joe Royle and a load of other 1970s/80s dinosaurs with their 'little Englander' mindsets. It wasn't hard to look good amongst that lot was it? David Dein had the bravery to appoint 'Jonny Foreigner', who then had the free pick of a golden generation of French players who went on to win everything at International level, at a time when the rest of English football hero worshipped the likes of Stan Collymore and Jason McAteer. Once Wenger did his bit with only one real opponent, and the other foreign coaches came flocking, he was quickly found out. Maureen had his number tactically and he got away with the "woe is me" shit with the stadium finances etc. He never won anything in Europe because he was regularly outsmarted by foreign coaches from the off. As soon as the Klopp's, Pep's and even Podgychinos came over, the sad old c.unt was shown up for what he really was. Well done mate, you're better than Alan Pardew and Joe Kinnear but you're an absolute fucking goon compared to the rest of the Europe

What a total c.untslop he really was. Still dines out on being 'Le Professeur' and all the revolutionary changes he made when all he did was pick up what had worked so well in France and other countries, gift wrapped by the best and boldest director in the club's history, and showed up mid 90s English football for what it was truly worth.

The price for that was 10 years+ of stagnation and contraction and the mess Emery and now Arteta have had to deal with. His statue should be fucking pulled down and thrown in the river. C.unt

:barscarf: :barscarf: :lol:
You’re singing my song here mate. Spot on. I detest the man. A lying, greedy, self seeking fucker, who was content to take the money and watch our club decay.

I was one of those on here a couple of days ago that said some of the cunting off of our own players was over the top. Well, there are always exceptions and the old French fucker is one of them.