Other Matches Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by falkirk goon »

EssexGooner1981 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:59 am
How do you lose 0-2. So Spursy.WhatsApp Image 2024-05-14 at 22.06.59_9d9c02ba.jpg
That's just to create an illusion that they tried when we all know they didn't really.
Last edited by falkirk goon on Wed May 15, 2024 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:23 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 pm
December 6th was the last time they lost a game. It’s soul destroying and utterly fucking helpless.
It’s not fucking natural.
Rubbish.

The invincibles never lost a game all season.
Our title winning team in 91 only lost 1 match.

This City team is very average - which is why they failed again in Europe.

We didn’t win the title because we didn’t get going ourselves until January.
Can't agree with that Rob - if they are that average how comes they'll end up with 1 more point than the Invincibles, who everyone on here views as the greatest team ever.

What City do in the second half of the season is unnatural. The Invincibles drew tons of games, got knocked out of the FA Cup and rolled over to Chelsea in the CL. These c.unts are WINNING not drawing, every single week, they will win the FA Cup and it took at the most successful team in CL history to scrape past them on penalties otherwise we'd be talking about another treble

Back in the Invincibles day, all the top teams dropped points. When Spurs went to Old Trafford on the final day in 1999 there was hope value - they went 1-0 up and pushed them. That United team dropped points regularly despite being the top dogs. This lot win every game. They have a 100m player who doesn't play. No Haaland, no problem- here's Alvarez. No De Bruyne, no problem here's Foden. Here's another CB in Gvardiol who we paid 80m for because the defence clearly wasn't good enough already

What they do isn't natural. They've surpassed the total points haul that the Invincibles achieved several times. 20 years ago that team were seen as a one off. This lot are beating it and making a mockery of it every single year. Bellingham will end up there one day - its as inevitable as Haaland was. The lad from Bayern most likely too.

It's just so boring. I can't give any more energy to having heart palpitations when Partey dallies on the ball or Zinchenko gets rinsed again, or Eddie comes on and does fuck all. It's all totally wasted emotion and ultimately meaningless again. To think of the nerves watching us hold on at OT or the shithole and what's it all worth. I think my only cure is to take up another sporting interest, take some part time interest in a lower level local team and cancel all my sports channel subscriptions. There really just doesn't seem any point in the hope value or emotion anymore

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

My sense is City will always win the League. They tend to lose focus in the first half of seasons but teams like us and Liverpool keep them honest in the run in. However the only way to stay ahead of them is to get ahead first half of the season and then win something like 20 games in a row from Christmas.

If we play like we did from Christmas from August next year we will win the League.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

City don’t make mistakes. They have super top professionals like Rodri dotted through the Team. If we can get shot of Jesus, Nketiah, Zinchenko and create depth in the squad by replacing Partey, Nelson, Elneny, Cedric etc then we would be close to their equal. We really lost the League at Christmas when we were playing Nketiah and then vs Villa home and away with Zinchenko creating a horror show. Fine margins.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Agree steveo it’s uttlery soul destroying. I barely slept a wink last night.

Last season and the season against Leicester I could compartmentalise it, it was our own fault that we didn’t get the job done, although in the midst of our own troubles last season what’s often overlooked is that city won every single game of the run in again.

As you say what they do isn’t natural, winning the last 10 games at a canter this season isn’t a one off, they’ve done it several times to pip the scousers, they did it last year, they do it every fucking year.

I look at our season and think we pretty much maxed out with what we have at our disposal. Sure you can point to individual games where we dropped points and lay the blame there but I think over a 38 game season that will happen us. That will happen every other team in the league except one.

Off the top of my head I can remember very late goals away at Brentford, the chavs and Luton and at home to united which gained us points we could have easily lost.

I look at it and think how the fuck do we go one better and win it next season and I just can’t see it. The only time city faltered was the covid season when everything went out the window. They lost 9 times in the league that season, 9 fucking times!! I mean that’s never going to happen again.

I don’t know what to do. I remember watching a documentary about athletes who lost out on Olympic medals the time it was on in Atlanta when a spate of Chinese athletes appeared from nowhere, cleaned up and were never seen again.

A lifetimes worth of training, sacrifice and effort to lead up to this one event and it was all taken away from them by cheats (never proven as they disappeared off the face of the earth). That’s what it feels like going down the home stretch against city.

In the last few weeks so many of our players looked mentally, physically and emotionally fucked. Win win win win win and knowing it’s not enough.

100 million pound subs at city sitting on the bench and coming on to score goals as they swat everyone aside as you grind it out game after game hoping for a miracle.

I fucking shattered as a supporter going through it, I can only imagine how the players feel.

The league are a fucking disgrace for letting the charges hang in the air for so long, it’s disgusting. Next season will be the 3rd they’ve played in with the charges unanswered which is complete bollocks.

Also unacceptable is the way other teams play against them. Lay down and fucking die. Who ever goes after them? Who ever mixes it up? Up the tempo, hassle and harry the, make it fucking ugly? Who does that? Nobody. There’s still a game left and nobody believes they won’t win it. Nobody.

And why? Because West Ham will rock up there and do what everyone else does against them. Meekly surrender and roll over to have their tummies tickled.

Get fucked the whole lot of it

augie

Post by augie »

Rodders, whilst I agree with the ethos of what you are saying, it is very hard to have a go at other clubs for not having a go at citeeh when we played them 6 weeks ago and were afraid of our lives to go at them - if the team challenging them at the top of the league isnt confident to take them on, how can we expect the shite teams below us to have any belief that they can take them on ?

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

If Pep goes and they get Alonso (what I have heard) then I will also pack it in.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:30 am
Rodders, whilst I agree with the ethos of what you are saying, it is very hard to have a go at other clubs for not having a go at citeeh when we played them 6 weeks ago and were afraid of our lives to go at them - if the team challenging them at the top of the league isnt confident to take them on, how can we expect the shite teams below us to have any belief that they can take them on ?
I’d have agreed with you in previous seasons Augie because our record against them has been appalling (to put it mildly) but we took 4 points from 6 off them this year and that’s a more than decent outcome as far as I’m concerned. Pity to fuck a a few other could have done the same….or at least tried.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 am
augie wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:30 am
I’d have agreed with you in previous seasons Augie because our record against them has been appalling (to put it mildly) but we took 4 points from 6 off them this year and that’s a more than decent outcome as far as I’m concerned. Pity to fuck a a few other could have done the same….or at least tried.

If the game at their place was played last november or december then I would have been ok with playing for a draw the way we did, but I still feel that the timing of this game meant that we needed to go for it but didnt. Anyway my point was that we were afraid of citeeh (and lets be honest and say that they have quality players), but if the second best team in the league didnt feel confident that they could take them on up there, then how can we expect teams below us to take them on with confidence ?

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:03 pm
Not sure I can put myself through it all anymore

Can't wait for next Sunday's final whistle

They've killed football and we never have any right again to take the piss out of the SPL, or PSG running away with Ligue 1 again l, or Bayern and their 11 consecutive titles

We now play in the world's most predictable, lawless league

Actually not looking forward to next season and just need to find a replacement in my life for all this. Just isn't worth it anymore

PL is dead. VAR is corrupt. There's a new boring bloated CL for next year

Dull dull dull

This is how I feel too - ironically I think that the only way they can bring back some competitive element is if they loosen the FFP and allow the likes of the geordies and other clubs the ability to spend big. Yes I know that it will still be a lob sided league, but at least then we might have 3 or 4 or 5 teams competing with the rest well adrift, but now we dont even have that :roll:

I tried in the last few years to get back to watching league of Ireland games again cos I am so pissed off with the money and greed at the top of football, and I hoped it would reignite my passion for the game - sadly after a promising start at the time, the LOI standard has regressed so badly in past 12 months that it is unwatchable imo. I am still involved with my local amateur club, but the game as I knew it is gone and gone forever I fear, and I feel like walking away but it has been such a huge part of my life that I dont know how I can fill that void if I do.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I agree about games at their place Augie, I almost expect them to win all 19 at this stage and any points they drop at home I take as a bonus. It's on the road where they should be put under the cosh, home fans baying for blood from the get go, players pumped up to take a scalp. The big bad monster coming into town facing the brave local heroes looking to cut them down to size. It should be a cup final for every team when city visit not the meek surrender we normally see.

These are city's away games since January, the victims kept them honest as usual, they got a last minute winner at Newcastle :banghead: but other than that it was an absolute procession - 25 points from the 27 available. At home they drew 2 games - us and the chavs and the rest of the games were pipe and slippers jobs.

Scum - won 2 nil
Fulham - won 4 nil
Forest - won 2 nil
Brighton - won 4 nil
Palace - won 4-2
Liverpool - drew 1-1
Bournmouth - won 1 nil
Brantford - won 3-1
Newcastle - won 3-2

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 am
I agree about games at their place Augie, I almost expect them to win all 19 at this stage and any points they drop at home I take as a bonus. It's on the road where they should be put under the cosh, home fans baying for blood from the get go, players pumped up to take a scalp. The big bad monster coming into town facing the brave local heroes looking to cut them down to size. It should be a cup final for every team when city visit not the meek surrender we normally see.

These are city's away games since January, the victims kept them honest as usual, they got a last minute winner at Newcastle :banghead: but other than that it was an absolute procession - 25 points from the 27 available. At home they drew 2 games - us and the chavs and the rest of the games were pipe and slippers jobs.

Scum - won 2 nil
Fulham - won 4 nil
Forest - won 2 nil
Brighton - won 4 nil
Palace - won 4-2
Liverpool - drew 1-1
Bournmouth - won 1 nil
Brantford - won 3-1
Newcastle - won 3-2
It's the last 4 that are most telling Rodders all won to nil and not a single bead of sweat on their shirts.

augie

Post by augie »

Lads on here like to knock the scum manager on an ongoing basis, but credit where it is due, he isnt happy at the attitude of their small time scum fans

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/footba ... 8d2a&ei=24

I understand the not wanting us to win the league obviously, but they had a chance of making top 4 if they won their last two games, and that should have been their priority imo - back in the 80s (before GG became manager) I used to get more enjoyment from our rivals failures than our own limited success, and whilst I dont regret that one jot, I also recognise that it was such a small club mentality and winning changed that. You can hear/feel the disdain in his comments towards their own fans and their attitudes last night, and if I was a scum fan I wouldnt feel very comfortable this morning. Of course the argument is that throughout our history we have a record of winning trophies and leagues whilst they clearly do not, but their fans are at a crossroads now - they cant claim to be a big club and still carry that small time mentality into the future

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ere Mate Ow Long Before Ange Packs Up His Swag Bag And Goes Walkabout Then eh?