Everton H Sun 19th May KO 4pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: Everton H Sun 19th May KO 4pm

Post by Midz »

falkirk goon wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:12 pm
This game has turned into a dead rubber
Well yes probably, but we need to win just in case.

Everyone thought Cheaty would knock Real out of the CL and look what happened at the end of that one.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Midz wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:12 pm
This game has turned into a dead rubber
Well yes probably, but we need to win just in case.

Everyone thought Cheaty would knock Real out of the CL and look what happened at the end of that one.
West Ham are Champions of Europe so that appears to the logic to your argument to compare them to Real Madrid. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Thinking whether this is the start of my withdrawal therapy and not sure I can be arsed to watch it and give up more pointless emotion

It's not the team's fault. 89 points will be the second highest in our history and at any point pre financial doping would have us as winners. Chavski started it with 95 points in 2005 and the doping has hit new heights. It's all too boring now. I'm done. Absolutely done

A nervy end of season head to head is what Sky will build and back in the day it would have been. In 2024 it sees City without an ounce of nerves or self doubt obliterate a team only too willing to curl up and oblige. This by the way a team who consistently finish in the top half and won a trophy last year- not some mugs already relegated by 15 points

It's the new way. I don't like it. I'm done with it

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 3:04 pm
Thinking whether this is the start of my withdrawal therapy and not sure I can be arsed to watch it and give up more pointless emotion

It's not the team's fault. 89 points will be the second highest in our history and at any point pre financial doping would have us as winners. Chavski started it with 95 points in 2005 and the doping has hit new heights. It's all too boring now. I'm done. Absolutely done

A nervy end of season head to head is what Sky will build and back in the day it would have been. In 2024 it sees City without an ounce of nerves or self doubt obliterate a team only too willing to curl up and oblige. This by the way a team who consistently finish in the top half and won a trophy last year- not some mugs already relegated by 15 points

I totally get this. Even with our fantastic run, I find it more and more difficult to get excited about football.

I mean, what’s the point of watching games when a country can buy a football club, bankroll them to the tune of billions, break every rule going, and still be hailed as the saviours of football by the media that seems to overlook that you need a 95% win rate in matches to win a league.

Even looking at The Arsenal, you could argue that we are only in the position we deserve to be based on our wage bill, even if it is self funded. How many clubs can go and spunk £100m on one player?

Actual competition across the league and cups has virtually died, any freedom of expression from players or characters in the game have all gone, the league do nothing but suck the dick of whichever club has the most money and VAR do what they can to squeeze the last drop of excitement out of the battered corpse of what remains after that.

I’d love us to win the league, of course, but it all feels hollow now. It meant much more 20 or 30 years ago.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Kingralph wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

I totally get this. Even with our fantastic run, I find it more and more difficult to get excited about football.

I mean, what’s the point of watching games when a country can buy a football club, bankroll them to the tune of billions, break every rule going, and still be hailed as the saviours of football by the media that seems to overlook that you need a 95% win rate in matches to win a league.

Even looking at The Arsenal, you could argue that we are only in the position we deserve to be based on our wage bill, even if it is self funded. How many clubs can go and spunk £100m on one player?

Actual competition across the league and cups has virtually died, any freedom of expression from players or characters in the game have all gone, the league do nothing but suck the dick of whichever club has the most money and VAR do what they can to squeeze the last drop of excitement out of the battered corpse of what remains after that.

I’d love us to win the league, of course, but it all feels hollow now. It meant much more 20 or 30 years ago.
Well that’s a bit depressing. But entirely accurate sadly

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wibble wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:14 pm
Kingralph wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

You know what Wibble, that's exactly what I was going to say when I read King Ralph's post, then scrolled down and you'd said it. Fucking depressing, but difficult to argue with.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm
wibble wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:14 pm
Kingralph wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

You know what Wibble, that's exactly what I was going to say when I read King Ralph's post, then scrolled down and you'd said it. Fucking depressing, but difficult to argue with.
Absolutely. I've been feeling it and saying it for a couple of years now. The game has all but died as a spectacle. VAR has sucked the enjoyment out of it, the spontaneity of goal celebrations have been ruined by VAR. Add in the the corruption of clubs like the chav and cheateh killing true competition, the mercenary players and their parasite agents.... the list goes on and on and it has all led to me gradually falling out of love with the game that I was obsessed with for decades. Now, I watch us and us only. And even then sometimes I have to force myself to watch us. :|

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

the list goes on and on and it has all led to me gradually falling out of love with the game that I was obsessed with for decades. Now, I watch us and us only. And even then sometimes I have to force myself to watch us. :|

I doubt that you are alone in that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 10:24 pm
the list goes on and on and it has all led to me gradually falling out of love with the game that I was obsessed with for decades. Now, I watch us and us only. And even then sometimes I have to force myself to watch us. :|

I reckon you're right there, mate. But the worst part is I feel so helpless and disenfranchised. I loved and lived the Arsenal since I was 4 years old and my Gooner dad told me I was an Arsenal fan. As the oldest kid I helped my dad ensure my three younger brothers all grew up as Gooners. I have Arsenal tattoos. I raised both my kids as Gooners. The first time I stepped onto the NB in the 80s I was overwhelmed by it. I've followed them the length and breadth of Europe, been to hundreds of games and now I struggle to motivate myself to watch them. And that's no disrespect to Arteta or the players as they are delivering at times some superb football. It’s the whole sport that is dying for me. Its become this culterally sanitised yet hideously corrupt game that has been pimped by billionaire scum. And there is nothing we can do to change it back.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 10:24 pm

I reckon you're right there, mate. But the worst part is I feel so helpless and disenfranchised. I loved and lived the Arsenal since I was 4 years old and my Gooner dad told me I was an Arsenal fan. As the oldest kid I helped my dad ensure my three younger brothers all grew up as Gooners. I have Arsenal tattoos. I raised both my kids as Gooners. The first time I stepped onto the NB in the 80s I was overwhelmed by it. I've followed them the length and breadth of Europe, been to hundreds of games and now I struggle to motivate myself to watch them. And that's no disrespect to Arteta or the players as they are delivering at times some superb football. It’s the whole sport that is dying for me. Its become this culterally sanitised yet hideously corrupt game that has been pimped by billionaire scum. And there is nothing we can do to change it back.
It’s not just football either - sport in general has been wrecked by money.
Tried watching cricket recently? The hundred franchise crap is the most unwatchable shit I have ever seen. If franchises come into football here then it really is game over.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SKY sports showing the following matches live on Sunday:

Manchester City v West Ham - crowning of the champions
Liverpool v Wolves - farewell to Klopp
Chelsea v Bournemouth - the race for 5th

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:18 am

Thank god for that! At least if anyone can be arsed to watch ours on TNT it will likely be Keown and Joe Cole speaking relatively favourably about us, as opposed to the wankfest on Sky sucking Klopp's cock and licking Pep's ringpiece.

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:18 am

NBC will be at the Emirates.....and all 10 games will be live. Not really sure why as top and bottom are already sorted...........I think the bottom 3 are sorted, tbh I haven't looked?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Bottom 3 as good as sorted, luton need to win and need forest to lose,but the catch is Luton need to win about 7-0 and hope forest lose 7-0 :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Remember. West Ham get £5m if Rice wins the League….