There may be trouble ahead… (23/7)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

There may be trouble ahead… (23/7)

Post by gooner.ed »

Usual thread starter - This is one of the initiatives that we at The Gooner/onlinegooner are going to promote to try and improve the atmosphere at the stadium. It will take time, but my take on it is this. We are in the European Union. How come it’s ok in Germany and not in the UK? Are we just selective in which European laws we apply here? I fervently believe that safe standing areas are going to happen, but the harder we push now, the sooner that will come into being, thereby solving a lot of problems between stewards and fans.

Sammy Mooner

Post by Sammy Mooner »

Am in almost total agreement - except I'm one of those who just can't help swearing :oops: at the likes of Poll or Sherringham - though I can't this season :)
Gooner.Ed wrote ......"The redsection is the most obvious example of this and it’s no co-incidence that when an Arsenal goal in scored in the north end, it is that group of fans that the players run to and celebrate with".
This may also have something to do with the players having friends and family in and around the area of DB10's box which is directly above the REDaction section.

James

Post by James »

Not wanting to seem shallow but can we have the original picture back for this article please?

For what it's worth I think Edelman is just sounding tough for the benefit of the FA. They can't ban people for swearing or we'd all be barred by the end of August.

Herd

Straightjackets are the way forward

Post by Herd »

Straightjackets and masking tape are the are the way forward,but the club might not captilise on those tasty cheaply priced savoury treats we all love at half time !

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I thought going to a match was supposed to be about escapism - flag waving (already banned!), singing, jumping up and down (ok, providing its more down than up!) - and maybe even an opportunity to swear en-masse! Edelman seems to want to suck the fun out of football and make it as sterile as watching a game on TV! I take my kids to games - but fully expect & accept the fact that they will hear choice language (they love it!!). I have absolutely no problem with that!! There is so much the guy could be doing that I wonder why he wastes his time tinkering with something that doesn't need fixing!

Galasso

Re: There may be trouble ahead… (23/7)

Post by Galasso »

gooner.ed wrote:Usual thread starter - This is one of the initiatives that we at The Gooner/onlinegooner are going to promote to try and improve the atmosphere at the stadium. It will take time, but my take on it is this. We are in the European Union. How come it’s ok in Germany and not in the UK? Are we just selective in which European laws we apply here? I fervently believe that safe standing areas are going to happen, but the harder we push now, the sooner that will come into being, thereby solving a lot of problems between stewards and fans.
You just have to ask yourself - where is the money in terracing? If you can find it it will be done - If not, then it won't.

We are losing our fan culture fast and if we don't act then the young kids coming up are going to spend all their time discussing what the design and colour of our 16th kit should be, while they sit in their big fat ashburton grove armchairs waiting for the orchestra to conduct them.

This is football for fucks sake not Marie Clare

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I wrote to my MP last year supporting this change in law to allow 'controlled standing areas' in football grounds. I got a reply from the minister for sport and although I cannot remember the exact wording of his letter it went something along the lines of:-

Dear Sir,
We will consider a return to standing at football grounds, but not until Britney Spears sprouts square testicles from her ears and Tony Blair admits he lied about WMD.

I assume that he meant NO!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

What a stroke of luck...

http://www.youtube.com/hard_of_hearing_ ... ff_ex-pm's_ WMD_but_ can't_find_it

I want to stand near the back with someone much taller in front of me.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

We don’t like swearing, we don’t like abusive behaviour and this year we’re going to be much harder in terms of stewarding and ensuring that everyone enjoys the Emirates experience. My objective is to make sure that everyone who comes to the stadium, be they small children, teenagers, adults or OAPs, has a good day out

As Emile Durkheim, sociologist, would say.....
Imagine a society of saints, a perfect cloister of exemplary individuals. Crimes properly so called, will there be unknown; but faults which appear venial to the layman will create there the same scandal that the ordinary offence does in ordinary consciousness. If, then, this society has the power to judge and punish, it will define these acts as criminal and will treat them as such.
Rather apt that after football has got rid of the hooligan problem it's starting to nit pick at the swearing and any other minor problem

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

I wrote to my MP last year supporting this change in law to allow 'controlled standing areas' in football grounds. I got a reply from the minister for sport and although I cannot remember the exact wording of his letter it went something along the lines of:-

Dear Sir,
We will consider a return to standing at football grounds, but not until Britney Spears sprouts square testicles from her ears and Tony Blair admits he lied about WMD.

Are you having a laugh or is this what he actually said?

If so do name and shame.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Cus Geezer wrote:

Dear Sir,

Are you having a laugh or is this what he actually said?

If so do name and shame.
I don't think the MP actually said anything about Tony Blair or WMD....

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

You just have to ask yourself - where is the money in terracing? If you can find it it will be done - If not, then it won't.
Well the capacity will increase by at least 10,000, something Arsenal couldn't do today without very costly renovation of the stadium, there is plenty of money to be gained.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

I don't think the MP actually said anything about Tony Blair or WMD....
Might have if he was a non-labour MP, or George Galloway

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Would there not be the expectation that with terracing comes lower prices? If not, it would be, I put my neck on the line, the first of its kind anywhere in the world. In Germany, significantly lower prices exist for terracing than for seats. Would people be prepared to pay the same for the terrace as for a seat?

I would like to see some analysis of how many people would be allowed in a safe standing area compared to sitting there, and the impact on revenue.

If the net benefit is relatively small, then Hillsborough would be invoked again.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

Well an Arsenal game rarely goes on general sale and the season ticket list is about four years.

So the demand will be met with terracing, plus those already season ticket holders who'd rather stand than sit, I'm sure there must be at least 10,000 in that category.

There is no reason why the club couldn't command a high price for a terrace ticket.