Down to the Bare Bones as Joe Public can now buy tix (13/8)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Down to the Bare Bones as Joe Public can now buy tix (13/8)

Post by gooner.ed »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=702

usual thread starter… Is this the first time a competitive match has gone on general sale since the move? I am sure Blackburn in the FA Cup did not. And I think the Carling Cup games did sell out to members? Correct me if I am wrong by all means. Is it a worrying trend or just something symptomatic of games in August?

Amos

Post by Amos »

I don't think you can call one match a trend - particularly at this stage of a campaign. Even if it is true that this is the first match at the Emirates in 2 years to go on general sale. That I very much doubt.

It's also worth noting, though salaries paid to players are totally disconnected from that of most of the working population, a college professor can work even beyond normal retirment age on a decent salary. Less money but for a lot longer.

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

I do agree that ticket prices are too high and players are paid far too much money, however this game is situated in one of the most popular holiday weeks of the year (I myself will be away, which is annoying as I cant go to a game before September 20th due to being abroad) and the game has been uncompetitive in recent years. Take two years ago when we beat Dinamo Zagreb, we won 3-0 in the first leg (I wouldnt mind that happening tonight!) which meant the 2nd leg was pretty meaningless as there was very little chance of anything other than an Arsenal win, and when tickets cost over £30 for the cheapest adult seats people are bound to save their money for another day....don't even get me started on the price of upper tier seats! I miss the old days of being a junior gunner in the west stand at highbury where I could get 3rd row right by the halfway line for £10, good times.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Last seasons Champions League qualifier against Sparta Prague went on general sale too, I think.

EDIT: Yep. the Sparta game, last season, did indeed go on general sale...but was a sell out, thereafter.
http://www.arsenalnews.net/comments/153 ... eral_sale/
Last edited by g88ner on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

The general sale of a competitive game is significant, especially as so many red members complain about not being able to see enough games.

The time of year will play a pat though, a lot of people are on holiday until early September so that does have an impact.

As for the Twente Away game...I prefer Denilson to play deeper as he has experience of a more holding role, and let the fearless Ramsey push forward and run into the box, as from what I saw of him in the Cup Final he was able to do that quite well.

Paulie Walnuts

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

The Spurs CC Semi last year didn't sell out to Reds, did it?

For me, I think the tone of your article, and the content, are spot on. It's very disillusioning (is that a word?) to see the ticket prices go up as they have as the Adebayors of this world double their money on the back of one season. I wrote an article last year championing his cause, but I don't feel that he deserved a double your money rise.

I wouldn't have gone to this game simply because of the cost involved, luckily a season ticket holder I know knows someone with seats in block 6, so I've got those for the night.

stewcat

Tonight's match

Post by stewcat »

Kevin is right to be worried about tonight.However while we all want a winning run in the CL an early exit may be best for the current team.This allows Arsene to concentrate on ALL the domestic competitions and get some silverware this season.
My concern is that the current inexperienced squad could find itself in the same position as last year-too stretched to win anything.

prove me wrong tonight!

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

The Arsenal vs. Tottenham Carling Cup game (in 2007-08) was only on sale to members, and therefore never went on general sale. I assume that there were fears of the "away fans" (since I'm not allowed to say "****" anymore) buying tickets in the home section.

After attending the Sparta Prague CL Qualifier at the Emirates last season, I have no intention of attending this season's game against Twente. The former was one of the most boring, non-competitive games I've ever seen - probably not helped by the fact that we won the first leg 3-0.

I, like many others on that night, left 15 minutes before the end. Not to beat the queues, but just out of sheer boredom.

I'm sure if tonight's game is a tight affair then the remaining tickets will be sold by this time tomorrow.

Cus Geezer

Re: Tonight's match

Post by Cus Geezer »

stewcat wrote:Kevin is right to be worried about tonight.However while we all want a winning run in the CL an early exit may be best for the current team.This allows Arsene to concentrate on ALL the domestic competitions and get some silverware this season.
My concern is that the current inexperienced squad could find itself in the same position as last year-too stretched to win anything.

prove me wrong tonight!
Except that domestic silverware doesn't actually bring in the revenue that the CL does - part of the business plan for the club's move to AG was qulaification to the CL every year for about 10 years.

So no, an early exit is not the best for the current team by any means.

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

The Newcastle match, which went on sale to red member yesterday morning, is still available.

This is is a new phenomenon for a leage match so early in the season.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bearing in mind we have had already had two home matches already in the Emirates Cup, where normal fans, ie not season ticket holders were able to get tickets with ease this occurance was reasonalbly predictable.

I am aware of several season ticket holders not going, and if that trend is across the board it means those red members who struggle for tickets are being offered season ticket seat on a one off basis, as happens in the cup matches too.

I was suprised to see the club offering up to 8 tickets for sale to non-members so they must be pretty keen to get rid of them.

Any red members or even non members, don't maon about how hard to get tickets it is if you can't eb bothered to go to this one.