Admission prices make football the new prawnography (19 Jan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Admission prices make football the new prawnography (19 Jan)

Post by gooner.ed »

usual thread starter, although as this is pretty much a plug, not sure how much there is to discuss. would you rather watch an average team if the prices were much more reasonable. anyone for barnet this saturday?!

donaldo

addmission prices

Post by donaldo »

There are thousands of Arsenal season ticket holders at Ashburton Grove holding their breath waiting for the annoucement of season ticket prices for next season.The club annouced that season ticket prices would be frozen for the first season at Ashburton and they have been rewarded with full houses every game. You can look at this both ways has freezing prices meant we are guarenteed sell outs every game or do the club look at full houses every game and think they can hike the season ticket prices up and still have full houses.Ashburton Grove was always going to be sold out for the first season there. But are season ticket holders willing to pay another £100 or £200 on top of what they are already paying.Speaking from myself i would have to seriously think about renewing if there was a hugh hike.

proudtosaythatname

Admission prices make football the new prawnography

Post by proudtosaythatname »

This is a tough ask and depends a bit whether winning is all that is important. Since Wenger arrived Arsenal have rewarded their fans, albeit at astronomical cost, with fantastic football and some of the most memorable moments of our lives - think Bergkamp, Pires et al and of course Thierry 200+ times - scintillatingly at Anfield and Blackburn in only the last fortnight. In response to my ecstatic outburst at his FA Cup virtuoso effort my wife responded with "I'll have what he's having" a la restaurant scene in 'When Harry Met Sally'. Yesssssss!

This footballing standard has only been possible by getting together the cream of the world's players - as it has for other leading Premiership clubs - and UK supporters are paying (yes, through the nose sometimes) to see probably the world's most skillful players.

Make the most of it, as you never know when the bubble will burst; Chelski came mighty close to ending it last year with their boring predictability and if this season had been a repeat of the last two lots of supporters would be leaving in their droves or watching on Sky for a quid a game. So, Come on You Reds! Where are those papers on mortgage equity release? :P

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I have a season ticket just to the right of the Red Action area. It cost £880 this season and a few guys who sit around me have some how discovered or heard rumours that the same seat next season will cost circa. £1,100. If true that's a 25% jump.

My biggest fear is not that the ground won't sell out but that it won't be filled with drue die hard Gooners but will be packed to the rafters with tourists and prawn sandwich munchers. Result: NO atsmosphere and no backing for the team.

gotrek

Post by gotrek »

For what it’s worth, my own view is that football was a lot more interesting in the 1960s and early 1970s because any team in the top flight could seriously aspire to win the title. So over the season as a whole, teams never ran away with the title due to the decent players being spread around more of the clubs than they are today. Now, on an annual basis, you don’t look outside the big four for who is likely to lift the pot come May
I am a gooner , I am french living in France, why am I a gooner? because my father andhis father lived in London and were gooners so I still follow the team.
Presentations done.
now , I have quoted this part of your article because thatjust makes me laugh, you don't know how good you have it in England. Watch the French League One and you will see boredom!
We know who is going to win by december. Lyon...Lyon...Lyon and Lyon again ho surprise...

Over here you can see a UEFA cup game for 8 euros....but name me a French team that can go anywhere in an european competition?
I hear Monaco? The fan following of Monaco is proportionate to its population... low. very low.
What are our super games made of? A bunch of retired internationals , or second hand big team players:Wiltord, Juninho are good examples.
Or teams with one big star and the 10 others would be playing for Championship sides in the EPL. An example ? Marseille.

So okay you pay Sky and overcharged seats, we don't even get a choice , only one , yes ONE, channel shows our Premier League games and it is a pay channel.

Look at the Greastest transfer of the Mercato..Carex going to Aston Villa...WOw , myGod how exciting and Milan baros signing in Lyon...

Oh and wait it gets better...Le Guen gets kicked out of Celtic? hourra call him in to save Paris! By the way yes Paris only has one Premiership team...and it only exists since the 70s...