Scarfs

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
2007_gooner

Scarfs

Post by 2007_gooner »

Just wondering if anyone else see the newcastle man u game the other week. All the newcastles fans were given black and white scarfs. It looked really good with all there supporters with the black and white colours of newcastle.

Think it would be a really good idea at the Emirates to make the whole place red and white. Some clubs you see on tv nearly all supports will be in there teams colours (mostly the N E teams) and think if a red and white scarf was handed out to fans and everyone brought it to all games. maybe this could be started in the red action area and if its a sucess the rest of the stadium. maybe against bolton in the cup.

Im sure these scarfs didnt cost newcastle that much they was only black and white and sure arsenal could do the same sort of thing.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Last season I seem to remember o2 giving away scarves in the north bank. Ok - they were dark blue but I dont see why Arsenal couldnt come up with a marketing campagin to do something similar with Emirates.

By the way, ive still got my o2 scarf and the quality is lovely and soft :)

lisa_gooner

Post by lisa_gooner »

Huh? What fan doesn't already have a scarf?

I agree though- the holding of scarves aloft whilst singing would create a great atmosphere. RedAction should have a drive for this perhaps. I tried this but got glared at by all the prawn munchers. We need to re-claim the stadium for the LOUD fans!

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

I agree with the scarf idea but i do worry that a lot of these "atmosphere" ideas can verge on making us look tacky!!What we dont want to do is go down the line of making ourselves look like those clubs who play tacky music every time they score in the name of creating an atmosphere!! its cheap and doesnt show any class which Arsenal are and always should be. At the end of the day if we all open our mouths and shout/sing at the same time we will create the RIGHT atmosphere. If the scarf idea just happened, that would be great, but somehow having to organise it makes it tacky in my opinion but i do agree with the sentiment.

Dicko

Post by Dicko »

It certaintly looked good at Anfield in the Liverpool end and they were not freebies.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

'Modern' attempts at atmosphere, i.e. music to celebrate goals, the pre-match announcer shouting the first name and us shouting the surname (??) can be very tacky. But traditional ideas like scarves would be great. In the past when the club have arranged colour cards on seats it made the ground look superb. Remember Wigan on Higbury's last day and Dennis's testimonial which both also included coloured t-shirts?

Definitely worth piloting in the Red action area if it can be done.

Rilo

Post by Rilo »

I think trying to force an atmosphere wont work.
It's up to each fan at a game to create the atmosphere. Unfortunatly we have far too many supporters who aren't willing to do this. Until watching Arsenal isn't completely aimed at the middle class there isn't much chance of things changing at AB, regardless of what gimmicks people come up with.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

I agree it would be good but just dont want to cross that "tacky" line, i feel that the club have moved a little in that direction with the player name calling etc and dont want to go any further. We are Arsenal, We are different, We have history and class and thats how it should remain.

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

I think the main problem with ashburton grove is the fans inside the stadium. We have large number of fans who would not have got tickets to highbury who now come and we also have large number of corpporate seats.

Highbury had pretty mucg 35000 who would be there game in game out, will take a while for new attendess to pick things up, and also the glamour of new stadium to ware off and one off gamies to stop coming (liverpool game I had 2 people in front who recoded whole game on a mobile and pointed at fans sininging commenting on how grande teh whole experiance was)

The scarf thing probably woudl work for one or two games but with so many people coming one off now it would make a nice freebie and one off thing but would not last.

Something Arsenal could do is have a talk with teh stewards and stop them being jonny job worths. I sit next to away fans and teh furstration of being told to sit down every two minutes is hard to bare, at highbury stewards would have a luagh and banter with fans, I have seen more arsenal fans pulled out by stewards in half season than 15 visiting highbury, I think thats rediculus and killing atmosphere.

And why should we not stand, its a game and exciting, if people want to watch game sin comfort do it on tele, becuase currently we have nit got the best atmosphere for them to be soaking up

ps sorry for my many typos

2007_gooner

Post by 2007_gooner »

I posted this back at the start of january and have just seen to today on the arsenal website that arsenal have teamed up with red action to give all supposrters going to cardiff 30% off any scarf purchased before saturday. Ill be down there tomorrow getting a few.

Great idea red action lets turn cardiff red

Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

When Arsenal score at The Grove, does anyone do the Newcastle thing and twirl their scarf in the air.

I do it and i believe that it is spectacular to watch. Every Gooner has a scarf so why don't we do it. When we score at home (and Cardiff), just get you scarf and spin it roudn and round in the air - get your mates too as well.

Would be great to see 60,000 scarfs at the Grove though...

Gooner_mojo

Post by Gooner_mojo »

Yeah a lot of people were doing it against the spuds in the semi final and it looked amazing.

The club asked us in the blackburn programme to all do when the teams come out at on Sunday. It will look brilliant with 30,000 red scarfs waving about, and it will really show the chelski fans up.

EVERYONE BRING A SCARF TO CARDIFF!!

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

ill be down the arsenal shop on saturday getting a scarf flag and my converse witch i been waiiting to get for weeks lol....wat 1s every 1 gettin the carling cup final 1 or the stripey red and white 1, dont wanna look odd u see lol :D:D:D:D

liam bradys left foot

Post by liam bradys left foot »

im taking my old school red and white and yellow and blue arsenal kings of highbury scarf !!!!!!!!

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

me mum has knitted me an old school red and white scarf for sunday will be wearing it proud! lets make sunday scarf day!