Stadium Announcer

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
glenngould

Stadium Announcer

Post by glenngould »

I get unnaturally annoyed with our stadium announcer. Poor Denilson. He just can't get him sorted, one week it's Den...the next it's Denil...the next it's D.... against Steaua Bucharest it was a pathetic Denil...which required everyone to shout SON...which was even more more embarrasing than the relative silence accompanying names like Traore and Song. And Gilberto gets the same treatment.
What gets me about this is we spend millions on a wonderful stadium and yet the atmosphere is crap. One of the Arsenal's great traditions is going to the centre circle and clapping the fans - well time and again this has happened just as the Mr Announcer Man has welcomed the 'players and officials' from, say, Bolton. So our boys have acknowledged the crowd to a chorus of boos!
I'm sorry, it's not important, but it is really. Liverpool don't mess things up. And we don't need a song like them. We are STEEPED in history, every fan who calls themselves a fan knows that, I'm proud just to BE at Arsenal, I don't need to wave my scarf and cry.
And while I'm ranting, "our support was f****** s***'" against Bucharest. The guy in front of me arrived 10 mins late and left AT HALF TIME BECAUSE IT WAS "TOO COLD!!" I was surrounded by empty seats at the end. One of the greatest moments in our entire history happened in the 90th minute. So stay.

Charlie! Charlie!

Re: Stadium Announcer

Post by Charlie! Charlie! »

glenngould wrote:I get unnaturally annoyed with our stadium announcer. Poor Denilson. He just can't get him sorted, one week it's Den...the next it's Denil...the next it's D.... against Steaua Bucharest it was a pathetic Denil...which required everyone to shout SON...which was even more more embarrasing than the relative silence accompanying names like Traore and Song. And Gilberto gets the same treatment.
What gets me about this is we spend millions on a wonderful stadium and yet the atmosphere is crap. One of the Arsenal's great traditions is going to the centre circle and clapping the fans - well time and again this has happened just as the Mr Announcer Man has welcomed the 'players and officials' from, say, Bolton. So our boys have acknowledged the crowd to a chorus of boos!
I'm sorry, it's not important, but it is really. Liverpool don't mess things up. And we don't need a song like them. We are STEEPED in history, every fan who calls themselves a fan knows that, I'm proud just to BE at Arsenal, I don't need to wave my scarf and cry.
And while I'm ranting, "our support was f****** s***'" against Bucharest. The guy in front of me arrived 10 mins late and left AT HALF TIME BECAUSE IT WAS "TOO COLD!!" I was surrounded by empty seats at the end. One of the greatest moments in our entire history happened in the 90th minute. So stay.
Last night? must have missed that! :wink:

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

uh?

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

oh, i get it...hehe...i'm slow, like fat frank

Charlie! Charlie!

glenngould wrote:uh?

You were talking about last night and the bloke leaving because it was too cold etc and you finished by saying that one of our greatest moments in history happened in the 90th minute....

Kind of looked like you meant last night - but I know you didnt :lol:

Just trying to be amusing - I'll get my hat, scarf and coat. Night Night :oops:

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

i totally meant last night - eduardo's chip into the goalie's hands...aah, you had to be there my friend!!!

Charlie! Charlie!

glenngould wrote:i totally meant last night - eduardo's chip into the goalie's hands...aah, you had to be there my friend!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

An excellent post Glenn. I too f*cking hate that cheesy first name - last name bollix. It was suggested on here a few months ago that the players should introduce themselves on the big screen like soccer am does for their crossbar challenge. That would be bareable...

As for the EL/LA (early leaver/late arriver) idiots ... crowd of w*nkers - why don't they go and follow manure?

Maybe we should now call them Ella's!! :P :wink:

southampton gooner

Post by southampton gooner »

I must admit that the 'shouting last name of player thing'. I like it. 1st heard it at B Munich when we played them in Champions league a couple of years ago and they all shout and it sound kin great. Problem is people don't join in so it sounds half hearted. If 60,000 people did it it would be great. And we could say we were the 1st prem team to do it etc (I think)
Problem is (and I'm not having a go at anyone on here) people are to busy knocking all efforts to improve atmosphere "don't like this song", "don't like that song", "don't like scarf’s", "don’t think we should say this to them", “don’t think we should have that flagâ€

augie

Post by augie »

I agree with Southampton Gooner here - no matter what inititive is brought in it will not/cannot be a success unless at least 75% of the fans go along with it. Again I know I am in the minority when I admit that I dont mind the 1st name 2nd name announcer thing as it allows us give a great reception to those players we still do not have a song for. Would also like to say that as we are now nearly halfway the season I can say with absolute certainty that I hate the song "the wonder of you" - I was willing to give it a chance but it hasnt grown on me 1 iota and I fail to see any connection to our great club. Have said it before that the song I would go with is "A Goal" and is on one of our cup final song cd's - it is written about Arsenal and has a chorus that fans can easily remember and sing along with.

I do think though that there are FAR too many threads on here and articles in the Gooner bemoaning a lack of athmosphere and the fans late and leaving early thing - after a while when you realise that nothing changes you just get pissed off with these pieces

glenngould

Post by glenngould »

actually, despite it sounding like a moan i admit, I do like the shouting the names thing. i just can't believe we can't get it right, and when it goes wrong it's very embarrasing. The only benefit I can see to the song is the cheer it gets at the end, but again that's been messed up loads of times, with the last verse missing or the speakers in the stadium not working properly. They never mess up the electronic sponsored adverts, do they...

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

How about trying to use "Billy Talent - Red Flag" as our anthemn or whatever its called:

Watch it here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7En9uIDdc50

Download it here

http://www.mp3000.net/download/mp3/3267 ... ag-mp3.php

I think it'd be great :D

Justin-the-Gooner

Post by Justin-the-Gooner »

I disagree. How can you say that the atmosphere is bad Ashburton Grove. It keeps on getting better and better IMO.

RaM

Post by RaM »

Never experienced it, but the first name-last name sounds pretty sad.

They should just do as the rugby league/union teams do here. Simple and effective.

When the announcer calls the team, just show a picture of them on the big screen, and let the crowd cheer/boo as they will.

southampton gooner

Post by southampton gooner »

Yeh Ram they do do that. But it's taking time to try and get as many people involved as pos. Which is where 1st name last name, club song thing comes in to it.