Wenger signing new deal soon

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

AA23Northbank wrote:
USMartin wrote:
nino_rojo wrote:
donaldo wrote:If Wenger is a man of principle he should refuse to sign the contract until May.If we have failed again to win anything he should walk away.By giving him a contract now after 5 trophyless seasons the board are saying to him carry on with your failed project we dont care if you dont deliver.In my opinion he has taken the club as far as he can and should have gone two years ago.Lets see if Wenger is a man of princple.
Why would he do that? All that would serve is to create a massive amount of speculation in the media and distrupt the team. He wants to win the league whilst keeping the club in good finances and, as long as the board are happy that he is the man to do that, he will stay.

I tell you now, I'd rather be in our situation that a club like Utd or 'Pool who, without a feck load of help, will crumble under the weight of their debts. I dont like the fact that we arent winning, and it seems obvious how to solve it. But this is our situation and its favourable to many others.
Ridiculous - United is too rich to collapse as you hope and even Liverpool whose situation is moreserious will not be allowed to collapse the same way Leeds was or Pompey was because Liverpool is a World Wide brand. If someone doesn't come in to buy them and bail them I can the Premier League and the FA behind the scenes ensuring they stay afloat.

Hoping these clubs will just shrink and vanish to our benefit isn't just unrealistic but frankly unseemly. We didn't need that to happen from 1998-2005 did we? And again we spent annually about what we bought Aaron Ramsey for.
Agree with nino rojo, USMartin you talk fucking bollocks, we're in a much better financial position than Liverpool or Man U, we have a 60,000 stadium generating shit loads of money, Liverpool don't even have a new stadium, are millions in debt and no CL footy. Fergie hasn't made any big moves because he can't, he's now making Wenger-like signings because the Glazers' debt is stopping their ability to spend. Give me our squad (plus a goalie and a centre half), top young players coming through like Gibbs, Wilshere and Frimpong, Theo will come good this season, and Nasri will show what a top player he is. I don't give a fuck if I'm a rosetinter, but I'm not an obsessive moaner, I have faith in this club, this team, this manager, this BOARD as well :D :D :D

ARSENE KNOWS :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink: :wink: :wink:

You have faith in Wenger and the board? I hope you enjoy the 60.000 seater staudium. Thats the only thing that makes us a big club right now. Oh and that we finish in the top 4 every season. Well that is about to change mate. And Manuited have sined Javier Hernandez and Bebe costing nearly roughly 18mil

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Whether Wenger deserves a new contract or not, I'd like to think that someone inside this club of ours is actually putting the man under pressure and telling him that this current state of affairs is unacceptable. Not winning a trophy every season is understandable but there just don't seem to be the correct decisions made to recify our shortcomings. Burying heads in the sand and praying that other clubs hit financial problems is not going to work, the board seem to think that if we hang around for a few more seasons doing nothing more than saving money, we're going to be the superpower. We've been fed this nonsense since the North Bank was redeveloped back in the early 90s and it hasn't come off. Why should it be the case now?
There is a serious lack of understanding at the club about the realities of life in The Premiership in 2010. As it stands, for the last five years, the man in charge of the team has overseen a fall in standards and a massive drop in performances when compared to the competition. If this was a company, would the boss be rewarded with a new deal before he could prove that things were improving? Whilst I'm not advocating a Real Madrid situation where it's trophies or out, somebody needs to tell Wenger that things need to improve soon and we have to see that the gap is closing between us, Man Utd and Chavsea. I really don't even think that a League Cup or FA Cup win will do this as too much emphasis has been placed on winning a trophy. The whole club needs looking at and questions need to be asked about the ambition and true motives of those holding positions of power at AFC.
Maybe not as a petition, but that's a very good basis for an 'angry' letter to Mr Gazidis!!! 8) :lol: :lol: :wink:

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Whether Wenger deserves a new contract or not, I'd like to think that someone inside this club of ours is actually putting the man under pressure and telling him that this current state of affairs is unacceptable. Not winning a trophy every season is understandable but there just don't seem to be the correct decisions made to recify our shortcomings. Burying heads in the sand and praying that other clubs hit financial problems is not going to work, the board seem to think that if we hang around for a few more seasons doing nothing more than saving money, we're going to be the superpower. We've been fed this nonsense since the North Bank was redeveloped back in the early 90s and it hasn't come off. Why should it be the case now?
There is a serious lack of understanding at the club about the realities of life in The Premiership in 2010. As it stands, for the last five years, the man in charge of the team has overseen a fall in standards and a massive drop in performances when compared to the competition. If this was a company, would the boss be rewarded with a new deal before he could prove that things were improving? Whilst I'm not advocating a Real Madrid situation where it's trophies or out, somebody needs to tell Wenger that things need to improve soon and we have to see that the gap is closing between us, Man Utd and Chavsea. I really don't even think that a League Cup or FA Cup win will do this as too much emphasis has been placed on winning a trophy. The whole club needs looking at and questions need to be asked about the ambition and true motives of those holding positions of power at AFC.
Absloutely excellent post. The only thing is while I agree wholly with your point about whether this would be tolerated elsewhere or the manager would be sacked - it goes back to what you said at the beginning - is he under any actual pressure to do any differently now than he has been? I'm not confident that is the case.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
Maybe not as a petition, but that's a very good basis for an 'angry' letter to Mr Gazidis!!! 8) :lol: :lol: :wink:
I agree - that would be a terrific letter!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

donaldo wrote:
g88ner wrote:
We have to be realistic here, and rather than say 'win a trophy or leave', I think what fans REALLY want to see it progress! We want to be proud of the team, and that's NOT always translated into silverware.

(
I agree.But we are not progressing.The last two seasons we finish 18 and 11pts behind the champions.We got battered home and away by both Man Utd and Barcelona in the CL.We get battered on our own pitch by Man Utd and Chelsea in the league two seasons in a row.Wenger doesnt give two fucks about the domestic cups while Chelsea and Man Utd regularly win them.Finishing top 4 is that success?Wenger thinks so, is that progress?
No, I agree - that's not progress. As I said, the last season I genuinely felt we were progressing was 2007/08 but then we had to rebuild all over again :(

I hope to see progress this season... if not he should walk. But if we DO show progress, yet finish potless, then I'd be happy for him to stay.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

g88ner wrote:
donaldo wrote:
g88ner wrote:
We have to be realistic here, and rather than say 'win a trophy or leave', I think what fans REALLY want to see it progress! We want to be proud of the team, and that's NOT always translated into silverware.

(
I agree.But we are not progressing.The last two seasons we finish 18 and 11pts behind the champions.We got battered home and away by both Man Utd and Barcelona in the CL.We get battered on our own pitch by Man Utd and Chelsea in the league two seasons in a row.Wenger doesnt give two fucks about the domestic cups while Chelsea and Man Utd regularly win them.Finishing top 4 is that success?Wenger thinks so, is that progress?
No, I agree - that's not progress. As I said, the last season I genuinely felt we were progressing was 2007/08 but then we had to rebuild all over again :(

I hope to see progress this season... if not he should walk. But if we DO show progress, yet finish potless, then I'd be happy for him to stay.
I think you're largely correct - although after the past few years I think more progress is needed than might have been had we simply invested morre in the team earlier.

I think there is a lot ill will at Arsenal Aamong supporters who are just evry frustrated because we could have done so much more the past few year with a bit more money. I think finishiung third again and closing the gap a bit won't do as much as it would have to reassure many supporters in say 2006 or 2007.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

USMartin wrote:I think there is a lot ill will at Arsenal Aamong supporters who are just evry frustrated because we could have done so much more the past few year with a bit more money. I think finishing third again and closing the gap a bit won't do as much as it would have to reassure many supporters in say 2006 or 2007.
Agreed.

2007/08 season was very positive, despite what happened after the trip to St Andrews. That team had the "potential" that we'd been told about for so long, yet what happened that summer changed the mood of the fans, and I don't think, as a club, we've recovered since.

We suffered the heart-ache of seeing our season go up in smoke, then we saw our midfield leave (Gilberto, Flamini, Diarra, Hleb + Rosicky out for an eternity through injury), then we had Adebayor acting all big bollocks all summer, and then, to top it all off, we failed to replace what we'd lost... never mind improve the squad! :roll:

That summer, the wheels came completely off and Wenger's "vision" stalled.

We're now rebuilding the team that was itself only half way through a re-building exercise, and now.... we're seeing our defence being rebuilt again with Gallas & Toure making way for Vermaelen & Koscielny.

It's a never ending rebuilding process because our more experienced first teamers keep leaving and are usually replaced with players of lesser experience.

And that's why this way of developing a squad is flawed - you can't keep them together long enough. Give us back Cashley, Gallas, Toure, Hleb, Flamini, Diarra, Adebayor, etc. to supplement what we've already got, and you have a strong squad.... minus a goalkeeper, of course :roll:

Very disillusioned, but I'm an optimist and still think we might surprise a lot of people.... IF we sign a 'keeper, that is!

Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1703 ... 41,00.html

Same old crap !

Same old bollix !

The bit about us having 'good goalkeepers' ! :shock: :banghead:

The bit about talking of the players we have not the areas where we are weak.

We have heard all this wheezing dross for the last 3 years ! :roll:

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

g88ner wrote:
USMartin wrote:I think there is a lot ill will at Arsenal Aamong supporters who are just evry frustrated because we could have done so much more the past few year with a bit more money. I think finishing third again and closing the gap a bit won't do as much as it would have to reassure many supporters in say 2006 or 2007.
Agreed.

2007/08 season was very positive, despite what happened after the trip to St Andrews. That team had the "potential" that we'd been told about for so long, yet what happened that summer changed the mood of the fans, and I don't think, as a club, we've recovered since.

We suffered the heart-ache of seeing our season go up in smoke, then we saw our midfield leave (Gilberto, Flamini, Diarra, Hleb + Rosicky out for an eternity through injury), then we had Adebayor acting all big bollocks all summer, and then, to top it all off, we failed to replace what we'd lost... never mind improve the squad! :roll:

That summer, the wheels came completely off and Wenger's "vision" stalled.

We're now rebuilding the team that was itself only half way through a re-building exercise, and now.... we're seeing our defence being rebuilt again with Gallas & Toure making way for Vermaelen & Koscielny.

It's a never ending rebuilding process because our more experienced first teamers keep leaving and are usually replaced with players of lesser experience.

And that's why this way of developing a squad is flawed - you can't keep them together long enough. Give us back Cashley, Gallas, Toure, Hleb, Flamini, Diarra, Adebayor, etc. to supplement what we've already got, and you have a strong squad.... minus a goalkeeper, of course :roll:

Very disillusioned, but I'm an optimist and still think we might surprise a lot of people.... IF we sign a 'keeper, that is!
Not to dismiss your accurate post, but I remember being told that we were in a transition season in 2004/05. I didn't buy it then, and I'm not buying it now!

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

I hate to say this but Isuspect that is largely down to - yes - the Board contracting the wage structure to eliminate the pursuit of higher priced transfer targets by making signing them to wage deals impossible making pursuing them as transfers impractical.

It fits in perfectly with the theory that the Manager sees no point in buying players who are no better than he has has now on the finances he has at his disposal. But thouhg it clearly if true undermines his ability to sign more expensive and almost certainly mrore talented and more experienced players the Board can still insist money is vailable to spend knowing it won't be spent. Very clever really but unacceptable as well.

merse_10

Post by merse_10 »

cant believe how deflated i felt watching that interview on ssn.the times in the past aw has run down his contract and we worried what we'd do if he left,how times change.

will never forget what wenger did for this club but feel like he's starting to tarnish it now with crazy decisions on the basics.

time is up i regret

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Yep - let's kill off the manager to protect the Board because well they love Arsenal like we do....

NO manager will be able to do anything any differently so long as the Board intend to do it as they are doing it.

You are simply deceiving yourself and others if you believe otherwise.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

USMartin wrote:Yep - let's kill off the manager to protect the Board because well they love Arsenal like we do....

NO manager will be able to do anything any differently so long as the Board intend to do it as they are doing it.

have you ever posted something which didn't mention the fackin' board? :roll: :lol: :shock:

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
USMartin wrote:Yep - let's kill off the manager to protect the Board because well they love Arsenal like we do....

have you ever posted something which didn't mention the fackin' board? :roll: :lol: :shock:
Why are you so willing to bitch and moan about the team, the players or the manager but frankly afraid to complain about the people who hire all of them?

Do you honestly believe that anything would change for the better in the areas it has to under a new manager and if so what actual proof do you have of that?

Maybe that's why most of my posts are about the Board

merse_10

Post by merse_10 »

NO manager would stand for such a week squad this close to the start of the pl season,and if the board reallyrefused him money to compete,HE'D probably walk away.

im not saying i back,approve or am even slightly happy with the board,just that imo its aw who's just being stubborn in trying to prove it can be done HIS way.

while were on the boardtho,why the hell cant we tie up a deal for a 37year old who's at an average side,with no europe,no big wages and almost no chance of trophies!! why did chamakh take all summer to sign,koscielny was goin on all summer and he's an unknown,second div non international with no other clubs interested in him???
in fact,who was the last really world class player we managed to sign since david dein left.cos db10 would never be at the arsenal with these know nothings in charge.