Wenger signing new deal soon

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

You are genuinely the biggest fuckwit I have ever encountered. Consider these the last words you will ever get in reply from me, you are too stupid to hold a discussion.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

TeeCee wrote:You are genuinely the biggest fuckwit I have ever encountered. Consider these the last words you will ever get in reply from me, you are too stupid to hold a discussion.
Well you may be right since judging by the last couple of posts you know a lot about what it takes to be stupid.

In all seriousness I'm sorry I won't let you get away with your weak arguments and one-sided versions of the truth without evidence or that I won't let you wrongly accuse me of mis-representing your words when in fact your own words prove I never did that. Sometimes I'm such a bastard. I'm working on it though. Too late here I guess :(

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Here's what I don't get - you have all these theories

- Mr .Wenger doesn't want to spend more money no matter what

- Mr. Wenger is obsessed with proving his way is the only way

- Mr. Wenger doesn't realized the market has changed yet

- Mr. Wenger doesn't believe in buying the League

- Mr Wenger is saving money for his successor

- Mr Wenger is afraid to buy big name high priced players

- Mr. Wenger is answerring a higher calling than winning trophies

Can anyone explain why no one offered any of these theories to explain his management of the club before the summer of 2005? Why weren't any of these theories viable before then?

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -extension

Arsenal Football Club is today delighted to announce that its most successful manager, Arsène Wenger, has signed a three year extension to his current contract, taking his tenure at the Club to June 2014.

Can you play in goal..........

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

I don't know what to make of that... The guy looks like he's completely lost it... Would have loved to see a bit of change at the Arsenal...

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

So thats it three more trophyless seasons to come :cry:

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -extension

Arsenal Football Club is today delighted to announce that its most successful manager, Arsène Wenger, has signed a three year extension to his current contract, taking his tenure at the Club to June 2014.

Ugh.

I genuinely do want it to work out for the guy but it seems less & lesslikely as days go by. The decisions seem to get more & more irrational & crazy...

steve1987

Post by steve1987 »

I genuinely think it's good news.

I'm frustrated as anything by the lack of GK, and CB, and to a lesser degree another holding midfielder. Three small changes, totally less than, say, £20m, that would have improved us immensely and - I believe - made us genuine title contenders.

BUT

Who could seriously do a better job. Mourinho? A 1st class knob, and we ain't getting him anyway. When you look at the money jokers like O'Neill have spent for successive 6th places it makes you appreciate Arsene even more. It does me, anyway.

This gets rid of uncertainty, which is a good thing. We know where we are going for the next four years, and, despite everything, we've still got **one of** the best in the business.

Three years ago, I'd have said THE best, but hey.

On balance, good news, and well timed.

Just waiting for news to trickle through that we've signed Given and Jagielka now....

Rob

Post by Rob »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -extension

Oh F U C K I N G Joy unlimited !

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

When was the last time this was seen as good news :hmmthink:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Wenger's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. He truly believes in his players. That's excellent, and definitely makes players want to play here. It also brings out the best in some players, because some people react to that style of coaching best (Henry is a good example).

But it can backfire when his faith is constantly put into players who have not been able to live up to it consistently; Almunia, and Fabianski primarily. He knows how good they are, he seems them in practice, but unfortunately their mental strength has let us all down.

However, to doubt AW and question him due to his "age" or "lack of heart" is ridiculous. When he speaks about football he always emanates passion, whether it be regarding the English national team, EPL rules, whoever, whatever. He loves the game and loves Arsenal even more. He is calm in demeanor, which people wrongly interpret to be a lack of caring, but he is likely more passionate than any of us.

And if you really think a new manager is going to bring us a trophy in a year's time, you're sadly mistaken. The team is built around AW's style of play; a new coach would significantly detract from the team's performance, if you ask me.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Well thats no success for another 4 years then. He was brilliant but who knows whats happened now.

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

USMartin wrote:Here's what I don't get - you have all these theories

- Mr .Wenger doesn't want to spend more money no matter what

- Mr. Wenger is obsessed with proving his way is the only way

- Mr. Wenger doesn't realized the market has changed yet

- Mr. Wenger doesn't believe in buying the League

- Mr Wenger is saving money for his successor

- Mr Wenger is afraid to buy big name high priced players

- Mr. Wenger is answerring a higher calling than winning trophies

Can anyone explain why no one offered any of these theories to explain his management of the club before the summer of 2005? Why weren't any of these theories viable before then?
Wenger has never believed in spending masses of money as you oddly seem to believe - the only spending spree of his tenure came in 1997 and even that was hardly massive.

As for why weren't theories valid before 2005, well for one thing no theories were needed as we were winning. Since then things have obviously changed. Wenger has become far more idealistic about a small, young team playing a very specific way and brought in on the cheap. Why? Well clearly the Stadium move has a lot to do with it, a lack of money for a short period while the Invincibles were falling apart meant that he maybe had to go a bit with youth, although players like Walcott, Reyes and Denilson from around the time of the Stadium move were not cheap. Now there is no excuse, we are making £35m profits and the board have made clear there is money available as has Wenger. If you don't believe them, well you can't expect to win an argument on that basis.

However if you really think the board forced him into becoming obsessed with style at the expense of substance, big in favour of small and frankly just not bring in as many good players as before then you've lost the plot. Why he did this, personally I think it was a combination of idealism in terms of the style of play and a misplaced belief that small players alone were the future and then pure stubborness not to change his mind.

Bottom line is this, good and even great managers can lose the plot. Wenger has not totally lost the plot and it is wrong to say he has I think but your belief that his failings since 2005 can't exist because he didn't have those failings before is just wrong. Maybe it's because you don't have the same ingrained experience of European football which means most of us know this reality.

So as I say to you time and again and which you (Wenger-like) seem too stubborn to understand - saying that Wenger has made some big failings is not to say that the board haven't made mistakes and vice versa.

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

The truly frightening part of this is that even when he does go another four years without a trophy, there will still be fans backing him.

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

Just an observation but why is that everyone in the press other than an Arsenal fans thinks this is good news?