Squillaci on his way to Arsenal???

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

This thread is a good example of how divided our supporters are now. It's actually becoming a joke. It just goes to show the state in which we find ourselves(and club) in. I can understand everyones points on here, but on a personal note feel that Wenger is selling our club short. Making signings just to fill numbers makes no sense. We ARE a big club. We shouldn't be negotiating over price. I understand that we don't want to overpay on players, but from experience, sometimes just biting the bullit and putting the money on the table would guarentee we get the player. It's frustrating when you hear that we lost out on certain player because of a 500K difference in the valuation of the player. AFC should be argueing about a £2m price difference on a player. We are fast becoming a club that will attract players for Wengers willingness to reward mediocrity and not because we win trophies.Soon we will have all average players and no World Class players. I hope Wenger can prove me wrong, but until that time...I live in hope. Rant over.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

MegaGooner wrote:This thread is a good example of how divided our supporters are now. It's actually becoming a joke. It just goes to show the state in which we find ourselves(and club) in. I can understand everyones points on here, but on a personal note feel that Wenger is selling our club short. Making signings just to fill numbers makes no sense. We ARE a big club. We shouldn't be negotiating over price. I understand that we don't want to overpay on players, but from experience, sometimes just biting the bullit and putting the money on the table would guarentee we get the player. It's frustrating when you hear that we lost out on certain player because of a 500K difference in the valuation of the player. AFC should be argueing about a £2m price difference on a player. We are fast becoming a club that will attract players for Wengers willingness to reward mediocrity and not because we win trophies.Soon we will have all average players and no World Class players. I hope Wenger can prove me wrong, but until that time...I live in hope. Rant over.
A lot of what you say above is valid and spot-on. But why are you so sure its simply down to the manager and if in fact you aren't why is there any hope for change under anew manager if in fact its his employers selling us short by not making more money available?

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Yeah that's a top point Mega... at the end of the day if we want this fella, and much as I haven't seen him play, I gather he's solid, strong and a good player, then just ask Sevilla how much they want and buy him!

I don't understand all this tippy-tappy bullshit. It's been the same with Schwarzer - we had a £2m bid rejected. Why doesn't wenger ask hughes how much he wants and either say yes or no? Surely it's not worth another half a million or whatever to keep faffing around.

We need the players and we need them as soon as possible. This should all have been sorted months ago.

Vince

Post by Vince »

caption competition? :lol: :lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Vince wrote:caption competition? :lol: :lol:

"Help, it's one of those giant rats!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100819/tuk ... a1618.html

"

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

USMartin wrote:
MegaGooner wrote:This thread is a good example of how divided our supporters are now. It's actually becoming a joke. It just goes to show the state in which we find ourselves(and club) in. I can understand everyones points on here, but on a personal note feel that Wenger is selling our club short. Making signings just to fill numbers makes no sense. We ARE a big club. We shouldn't be negotiating over price. I understand that we don't want to overpay on players, but from experience, sometimes just biting the bullit and putting the money on the table would guarentee we get the player. It's frustrating when you hear that we lost out on certain player because of a 500K difference in the valuation of the player. AFC should be argueing about a £2m price difference on a player. We are fast becoming a club that will attract players for Wengers willingness to reward mediocrity and not because we win trophies.Soon we will have all average players and no World Class players. I hope Wenger can prove me wrong, but until that time...I live in hope. Rant over.
A lot of what you say above is valid and spot-on. But why are you so sure its simply down to the manager and if in fact you aren't why is there any hope for change under anew manager if in fact its his employers selling us short by not making more money available?
The board.....lol. Well disguised though.
I am just so frustrated with Arsenal at the moment. FFS we are a big club. We were told in January that we had a £30m budget. At the beginning of this window, we were told we got £30m to spend. My point is if we had £60m to spend, I wouldn't have spent it either. I would have bought Chamakh in Jan for 3m. He could have saved our season...if not, it would have gotten him used to the pace of the PL. So if we got all this money and we are the highest "credit" rated club in England, and we got a good bond rate, why are we trying to pay the loan off in this impossible amount of time, knowing that it is hurting us badly. AFC should understand that we are not an estate agent. WE ARE A FOOTBALL CLUB AND A VERY GOOD ONE AT THAT. So come on AFC...listen to your people.

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

Mega I don't think its disguised as much as the underlying issue.

I don't disagree - I don't know about Chamakh specifically, but I agree fullly that not spending some more money sooner is putting us in a position where we will have to spend much more money later, and the loger it takes the more money it will take to fix the problems no matter who is in charge of doing so.
That's why the Board has to act whether or not its at fault for the issues we are debating.

Post by 1989 »

Vince wrote:caption competition? :lol: :lol:

Not a caption but,

this guy would be our answer to Vidic. Drogba better watch out.

merson_is_god

Post by merson_is_god »

IS HE ACTUALLY ON HIS WAY?

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

SKILL-ARCHIE WOOOOOOOOOOOOAH
SKILL-ARCHIE WOOOOOOOOOOOOAH
HE COMES FROM MONACO
HE'LL FUCKING EAT DEFOE!

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

MegaGooner wrote:
USMartin wrote:
The board.....lol. Well disguised though.
I am just so frustrated with Arsenal at the moment. FFS we are a big club. We were told in January that we had a £30m budget. At the beginning of this window, we were told we got £30m to spend. My point is if we had £60m to spend, I wouldn't have spent it either. I would have bought Chamakh in Jan for 3m. He could have saved our season...if not, it would have gotten him used to the pace of the PL. So if we got all this money and we are the highest "credit" rated club in England, and we got a good bond rate, why are we trying to pay the loan off in this impossible amount of time, knowing that it is hurting us badly. AFC should understand that we are not an estate agent. WE ARE A FOOTBALL CLUB AND A VERY GOOD ONE AT THAT. So come on AFC...listen to your people.
I've said this elsewhere, but it's not always in the case of Arsenal how much we have in the transfer kitty. Wenger is given by HR and Finance (or whatever the equivalent is) a rock-solid wage structure. Players under 21 in the first team will have a maximum level per week, players under 21 as squad players a separate wage structure, first team superstars like Van Persie will have another. There will be criteria laid down for how much a week Arsenal will be prepared to give a 37-year old goalkeeper, and it wont be much. Therefore we can offer £20mil for Schwarzer, but if he wants 50k a week, and our structure is limited in the case of old goalies to 25k, then the deal's dead.

Of course, people will say "Well use some of the transfer kitty to bump up the wage structure to accomodate such players" and I agree this can be done (although it basically gives everyone in the entire squad, from youth to first team a pay rise) but this structure is being handed to Wenger from HR and Finance and therefore the Directors; I imagine although he can spend as much as he feels in terms of transfer funds, he has no control over the maximum he is able to offer in wages.

All I'm saying is it might be beyond Wenger's control when it actually comes to the contract, and concentrating on how much we should offer the clubs for these players might be missing the point of the problem.

For instance Werder probably did accept an offer from us for £13m but if Ozil wants 150k a week, then he ain't coming to us.

But if you wanna wail on the board who set this wage structure then go ahead, I fully agree.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

psychoangus wrote:I've said this elsewhere, but it's not always in the case of Arsenal how much we have in the transfer kitty. Wenger is given by HR and Finance (or whatever the equivalent is) a rock-solid wage structure. Players under 21 in the first team will have a maximum level per week, players under 21 as squad players a separate wage structure, first team superstars like Van Persie will have another. There will be criteria laid down for how much a week Arsenal will be prepared to give a 37-year old goalkeeper, and it wont be much. Therefore we can offer £20mil for Schwarzer, but if he wants 50k a week, and our structure is limited in the case of old goalies to 25k, then the deal's dead.
You mean you are cheating on us (or more likely, you are cheating with us and have a regular forum sitting at home, looking after the kids)?

:idea:

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

Galasso wrote:
psychoangus wrote:I've said this elsewhere, but it's not always in the case of Arsenal how much we have in the transfer kitty. Wenger is given by HR and Finance (or whatever the equivalent is) a rock-solid wage structure. Players under 21 in the first team will have a maximum level per week, players under 21 as squad players a separate wage structure, first team superstars like Van Persie will have another. There will be criteria laid down for how much a week Arsenal will be prepared to give a 37-year old goalkeeper, and it wont be much. Therefore we can offer £20mil for Schwarzer, but if he wants 50k a week, and our structure is limited in the case of old goalies to 25k, then the deal's dead.
You mean you are cheating on us (or more likely, you are cheating with us and have a regular forum sitting at home, looking after the kids)?

Ha ha! No, elsewhere in this forum! Honest!

:barscarf:

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

psychoangus wrote:
Galasso wrote:

Good lad :wink:

good post by the way. I think the offshore loophole that displeased the tax authorites did allow some leeway to the club in the Henry/Vieira time.

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

Galasso wrote:
psychoangus wrote:
Galasso wrote:

Good lad :wink:

good post by the way. I think the offshore loophole that displeased the tax authorites did allow some leeway to the club in the Henry/Vieira time.
The wage structure is in place to allow as much as possible to be pumped into repaying the Emirates, but at the same time carefully allowing us to perpetuate a level of class to get into the Champions League every year.

I hope (being the rosey-tinter I am) that once the stadium is paid off, the structure will be hiked up by some margin, and the big players will sign for us.

This is our form of recession basically. Tightening the belt until the mortgage is paid off.

I for one still have the faith! Just about!