Look, everything isn't perfect in wengerland but

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rigsby

Post by rigsby »

The thing is Augie, yes I think it would give those players a lift. They'ld have won something with Arsenal, as a team it would gel them together and give them belief in each other. Maybe this is me being optimistic but I think the players care about the club and want to win something for the manager. If we won nothing else than maybe it would be a bit flat, but it certainly could kick start the team

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

rigsby wrote:The thing is Augie, yes I think it would give those players a lift. They'ld have won something with Arsenal, as a team it would gel them together and give them belief in each other. Maybe this is me being optimistic but I think the players care about the club and want to win something for the manager. If we won nothing else than maybe it would be a bit flat, but it certainly could kick start the team
Maybe the penny has finally dropped that winning something is better than winning nothing at all. Liverpool, ManUtd, Chelseas period of success was triggered by winning the League Cup first. We even did it in the '87. It galvenises team belief, how different things may have been had we won the '07 final. Might be the smallest proper cup competition but it's better than winning the Emirates Cup, and saying this team is good enough.

augie

Post by augie »

And again I will make the point that if we had any other manager than what we currently have then I would agree that it could be a springboard to bigger and better successes but a success, any success, under wenger will merely convince him of the greatness of this team and squad :roll:
I am not having a go here as such but why do some fans ignore the wenger factor (stubborness) when suggesting that this trophy can make this team winners for the big comps ? :?

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

It always saddens me to see threads like this. "Look we not there yet but still stand a chance" types. We are AFC, and we should have threads saying "Look we lost a game but all is well"....well something in that context anyway.

Back to reality, I have to agree with most of the points on here. We have got to a point where, in my personal opinion(not that I would say no to it), we got a (great) chance at silverware in the CC.

So are we settling for a "mickey mouse" cup, or will it give us the momentum to carry into a league or FA cup win. I live in hope :wink:

What's worrying for me is that AW won the league and FA cup with Arsenal and never the CC or CL. I hope he isn't throwing all his eggs into one basket to win the CC- just to prove his point with the fans about how "great" this team is, just to throw away all the other opportunities we have 8)

FrenchGun

Post by FrenchGun »

I can get the "trophy will build our momentum" thing... My question is: since Arsene will probably play his bench on most of CC games, how can the first-teamers take advantage of the substitutes winning a trophy? (if ever we win it)

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

Will be funny, Fabregas wants a trophy but because he doesn't make an apperence he doesn't get a medal? Or does it not work like that? :lol:

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

donaldo wrote:
rigsby wrote:
This competition is VITAL in my eyes. Teams have to get into the winning mentality.
Exactly,so why when we got to the cc final in 2007 and Fa cup semi in 2009 did Wenger not field full strength teams(leaving out the player in form Arshavin :roll: ) against Chelsea's strongest eleven.He showed contempt for both competions.
Exactly mate.

All this bollocks and bullshit about it being good for the mentaility of the team - where was that in 2007, where was that in 2009, why didn't Wenger start this when we moved in 2006? Wenger hasn't exactly banged on about this, yet it's everyone's justification for now getting their knickers in a twist about winning a meaningless competition.

No, this is all a smokescreen which is allowing Wenger more time to fail in his project.

Louder

Post by Louder »

augie wrote:And again I will make the point that if we had any other manager than what we currently have then I would agree that it could be a springboard to bigger and better successes but a success, any success, under wenger will merely convince him of the greatness of this team and squad :roll:
I am not having a go here as such but why do some fans ignore the wenger factor (stubborness) when suggesting that this trophy can make this team winners for the big comps ? :?

:moderator: Anti-Wenger, Boring :moderator:

Louder

Post by Louder »

Galasso wrote:
donaldo wrote:
rigsby wrote:
This competition is VITAL in my eyes. Teams have to get into the winning mentality.
Exactly,so why when we got to the cc final in 2007 and Fa cup semi in 2009 did Wenger not field full strength teams(leaving out the player in form Arshavin :roll: ) against Chelsea's strongest eleven.He showed contempt for both competions.
Exactly mate.

All this bollocks and bullshit about it being good for the mentaility of the team - where was that in 2007, where was that in 2009, why didn't Wenger start this when we moved in 2006? Wenger hasn't exactly banged on about this, yet it's everyone's justification for now getting their knickers in a twist about winning a meaningless competition.

No, this is all a smokescreen which is allowing Wenger more time to fail in his project.
:moderator: Anti-Wenger, AGAIN ! Boooorrrriiiinnnng :moderator:

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

I don't necessarily buy into this 'winning mentality' tagline, or that winning the League Cup will 'breed success'.

All I know is that we're not going to be winning any other trophies this season, so we may as well go all out for this one!

Louder

Post by Louder »

Bring Back Pires wrote:I don't necessarily buy into this 'winning mentality' tagline, or that winning the League Cup will 'breed success'.

All I know is that we're not going to be winning any other trophies this season, so we may as well go all out for this one!
Writing off the rest of the season :banghead:

Would you have said that we would even win the CC at the beggining of this season ? Probably not.

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Louder wrote:
Bring Back Pires wrote:I don't necessarily buy into this 'winning mentality' tagline, or that winning the League Cup will 'breed success'.

Writing off the rest of the season :banghead:

Would you have said that we would even win the CC at the beggining of this season ? Probably not.
The difference is, I know the league fixtures, but I didn't know the Carling Cup draw.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Louder wrote:
Galasso wrote:
donaldo wrote:
rigsby wrote:
Exactly mate.

:moderator: Anti-Wenger, AGAIN ! Boooorrrriiiinnnng :moderator:
What is anti-Wenger about the truth.If he really cared about the CC why put a team of kids out in the final v Chelsea and the following year when we got battered by the Spuds in the semi.No the reason he is taking it seriously is he is under pressure to win something.And as BBP says its our only realistic chance of winning anything

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

Hes got a lot to sort out but we are top :barscarf: