When did Wenger become not very nice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

QuartzGooner wrote:
biglunn wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:
Babatunde wrote: The problem we have here is that Wenger was allowed to become too powerful by the fans. And it is finally only now, after 7 years of ridicule and the club becoming a running joke, that the fans have found their voice.
The fans allowed Wenger to become too powerful?
Yes. Ultimately, its the fans that have allowed Wenger to become powerful.

Years of selling off players, and bringing in inadequate/no replacements.... and still the fans come in their thousands. Hardly a protest or a murmur - can you imagine ManUtd, Liverpool, or even plastic Chelsea fans putting up with this slow predictable destruction of their club? The board must be loving it with the money rolling in! And Arsene must be loving it - after all he isnt earning his £6m a year on the basis of football results, is he!

But what happens when we do eventually fall out of the top 4, lose CL money, end up with half empty stadium. And overburdened with a massive wagebill with nobody in the squad worth selling? Scary times. And its the fans fault for putting up with if for so long and allowing it to happen :(
Why would I boycott games now, when I used to go when Terry Neill and Don Howe were bosses, and when Graham put Keown in midfield alongside such scintillating talent as Hiller, Jensen, McGoldrick etc?

I may not want Wenger as boss any more, but going to games is important to me win, lose or draw.

Meeting with friends, a drink, some food etc are all part of the experience, and have been for years.

If you want me to boycott games, then you are not going to get me to agree unless circumstances are extreme.
What about in "special circumstances" ? :D

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:
biglunn wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:
Babatunde wrote: The problem we have here is that Wenger was allowed to become too powerful by the fans. And it is finally only now, after 7 years of ridicule and the club becoming a running joke, that the fans have found their voice.
The fans allowed Wenger to become too powerful?
Yes. Ultimately, its the fans that have allowed Wenger to become powerful.

Years of selling off players, and bringing in inadequate/no replacements.... and still the fans come in their thousands. Hardly a protest or a murmur - can you imagine ManUtd, Liverpool, or even plastic Chelsea fans putting up with this slow predictable destruction of their club? The board must be loving it with the money rolling in! And Arsene must be loving it - after all he isnt earning his £6m a year on the basis of football results, is he!

But what happens when we do eventually fall out of the top 4, lose CL money, end up with half empty stadium. And overburdened with a massive wagebill with nobody in the squad worth selling? Scary times. And its the fans fault for putting up with if for so long and allowing it to happen :(
Why would I boycott games now, when I used to go when Terry Neill and Don Howe were bosses, and when Graham put Keown in midfield alongside such scintillating talent as Hiller, Jensen, McGoldrick etc?

I may not want Wenger as boss any more, but going to games is important to me win, lose or draw.

Meeting with friends, a drink/food before or after, etc are all part of the experience, and have been for years.

If you want me to boycott games, then you are not going to get me to agree unless circumstances are extreme.

Am I going to avoid going because we do not win every year?

I am a fan, not just a consumer, and part of that means value for money is not always able to be found.
Excellent post, Quartz, sums up my feelings on this matter. :barscarf:

biglunn

Post by biglunn »

armchair supporter wrote:In a more serious answer to the question I never ever really "warmed" to Wenger.
Felt he thought he was more clever than everyone. Never liked his smugness, arrogance and slimey after match interviews.
How on earth could you not 'warm' to Wenger?

I loved his arrogance, aloofness and smugness, he was OUR man. With the football we were playing, he had every right to be smug - cmon admit it... you were pretty smug with the way we were playing?

Thi big problem now is that the football has gone. The players have gone. The success has gone. And his smugness, aloofness, and arrogance is now directed to us fans. The way he treats us fans like idiots, sticking up for this shower of shit we have, and at times having a go at us fans while justifying the clubs stance is utterly disgraceful. How on earth we put up with it, with some justifying it, is beyond me.
Last edited by biglunn on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swanners

Post by Swanners »

Boo ing your own players now calling manager who turned Arsenal from a big club into a world famous club a "*word censored*".

The modern day footy supporter for you.

armchair

Post by armchair »

biglunn wrote:
armchair supporter wrote:In a more serious answer to the question I never ever really "warmed" to Wenger.
Felt he thought he was more clever than everyone. Never liked his smugness, arrogance and slimey after match interviews.
How on earth could you not 'warm' to Wenger?

I loved his arrogance, aloofness and smugness, he was OUR man. With the football we were playing, he had every right to be smug - cmon admit it... you were pretty smug with the way we were playing?

Thi big problem now is that the football has gone. The players have gone. The success has gone. And his smugness, aloofness, and arrogance is now directed to us fans. The way he treats us fans like idiots, sticking up for this shower of shit we have, and at times having a go at us fans while justifying the clubs stance is utterly disgraceful. How on earth we put up with it, with some justifying it, is beyond me.
Could never warm to him personally.
Warmed to the football and the trophys and the way he annoyed Fergusbum though.

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

Swanners wrote:Boo ing your own players now calling manager who turned Arsenal from a big club into a world famous club a "c**t".

Yep modern day football fan, your so right. So take a step in my shoes and part with a grand a season and see a ticket increase with minimal investment and not be angry.
Enjoy ya season.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Swanners wrote:Boo ing your own players now calling manager who turned Arsenal from a big club into a world famous club a "c**t".

We weren't booing our own players mate, just the manager.

Swanners

Post by Swanners »

SWLGooner wrote:

We weren't booing our own players mate, just the manager.
I know you're all angry mate but some of the stuff I have read about the man who brought so much success to AFC is quite frankly disgusting. And I have heard BOOOOs for Arshavin a few times.

Wait until May until you pile pressure on Wenger and your players, not now.

Rad

Post by Rad »

The only way fans can get their point across is to boo. Writing letters doesn't work mate! If we sit down and shut up Wenger and the players get away with it and the board think everything is rosy. This is what happened in the past. The worm has turned and the pressure of the fans rebellion will see the media get involved and ultimately Wenger and the players will listen and the board will have to do something about it.

Wenger and some journalists try to belittle our views but they forget that many of us have been there through the dark days as well as the successes. We know what a good team looks like and what a good player looks like. Football fans are far more educated about the game since the advent of Sky TV. Many fans have played the game to a decent standard and have a superior knowledge of the game. It's not rocket science - look at cock-eyed Arry for f@cks sake! (You don't need to be a great Chef to know that you've eaten a great meal). This superiority allows footballers to remain in the game. It is a closed shop. It's about getting a good team of players together and Wenger did that due to his knowledge of players in France and the fortune of inheriting Graham's back four and Bergkamp. He's being found out now!

So continue booing and protesting because if you don't you accept the status quo ( no, not the band!)

Rad

Post by Rad »

The only way fans can get their point across is to boo. Writing letters doesn't work mate! If we sit down and shut up Wenger and the players get away with it and the board think everything is rosy. This is what happened in the past. The worm has turned and the pressure of the fans rebellion will see the media get involved and ultimately Wenger and the players will listen and the board will have to do something about it.

Wenger and some journalists try to belittle our views but they forget that many of us have been there through the dark days as well as the successes. We know what a good team looks like and what a good player looks like. Football fans are far more educated about the game since the advent of Sky TV. Many fans have played the game to a decent standard and have a superior knowledge of the game. It's not rocket science - look at cock-eyed Arry for f@cks sake! (You don't need to be a great Chef to know that you've eaten a great meal). This superiority allows footballers to remain in the game. It is a closed shop. It's about getting a good team of players together and Wenger did that due to his knowledge of players in France and the fortune of inheriting Graham's back four and Bergkamp. He's being found out now!

So continue booing and protesting because if you don't you accept the status quo ( no, not the band!)

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

he isnt a *word censored*.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

How did this man create a team that went 49 unbeaten. Was it pure luck as he was always buying the odd flop from day one.
Difference is he now buys mostly flops and the only player who will be a great is Ox.
Any fan getting on the 18 year old back already is a c...

Wenger has managed to destroy is reputation with the fans and I am now sure Ferguson backs him up because Arsenal are no threat at all.
Its as if we just let United win now without much pressure.
When we lost Graham in 95 we were in a major European final and had been in finals all through his reign.
We had the best defence in the league plus Wright, Merson, Parlour.Bergkamp joined soon after All that was needed was a Petit and a Vieira. Was not the hardest team in the world to turn around.
Any new manager coming here is doomed with this squad

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Wenger is part of a wider problem at the club. Its poor management at every level. The only way this can be sorted is chantin throughout the match aimed at the board and the manager. Then a level of protest outside, after a game. Its time we stopped moaning and put something into action.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

rigsby wrote:Wenger is part of a wider problem at the club. Its poor management at every level. The only way this can be sorted is chantin throughout the match aimed at the board and the manager. Then a level of protest outside, after a game. Its time we stopped moaning and put something into action.
Spot on.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Babatunde wrote:Aaaah yes Flash. Great purveyor of arguments. Yes yes, I am a Spud. The ultimate recourse of choice is to set to default mode. Your 'Spud' barbs are wonderfully ironic, considering you are at the same time, moaning about people talking shite with no facts to back it up.

Did you get that? :roll:

I will say this: what Wenger DID for Arsenal back many years ago, was excellent. Who ever knocked that? You made that up.

What I will say, is that in real life, one does not live off past achievements. And Wenger is the past, the club has turned to ridicule.

I have said this a million times, but if you cannot seem to understand the concept of a pluralistic democratic society (and judging by it you can't) then I will sort your one-way ticket to Pyongyang.

It is my right to call Wenger a c***. Anyone who participates in the systematic destruction of my club, be it Gazidis/Wenger/ is a c***.
Im not getting into a war of words with you Baba but as usual i'll be on the look out for your childish insults and lack of repect for other posters and Arsenal's history :proudtosay: