Every club in the PL has a better 2nd choice striker

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
worthing_gooner

Re: cant argue

Post by worthing_gooner »

lowerwest wrote:nope cant argue with a lot of that. imagining a world without rvp. i guess we are set up a bit differant as we have 2 non strikers playing in attacking positions in walcott/gervinho/ox. even so you can see our squad has no chance of finishing 4th.
Won't need to imagine it mate, it's coming. 2012/13 season our striking options will be Chamakh and Park.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

Absolutely spot on.

This is one of my biggest bug bears. How on earth can we be expected to be considered a top club when we do not even have a second striker even comparable to our (supposed) rivals.

It really is a total disgrace and one of my top ten reasons why Wenger is a twat in his mis-management of our club.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Agree with the thread.

We only have Van Persie.

Henry is just a temporary loan.

Chamakh was good for four months only.

Park I have yet to see can cut it.

Afobe might, but is injured and not experienced.

Walcott? Who knows how he would fare as a striker.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Agree with the thread.

We only have Van Persie.

Henry is just a temporary loan.

Chamakh was good for four months only.

Park I have yet to see can cut it.

Afobe might, but is injured and not experienced.

Walcott? Who knows how he would fare as a striker.
Judging by his conversion rate and physical presence fucking dreadfully. Last night's first half miss every bit as bad as the one at home to QPR. Apart from pace he has no other attributes that a striker should have

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

I completely agree with the sentiment of this thread but not it's analysis. At least half a dozen of those teams have got back-up strikers just a shit as ours.
Mind you, it could be worse. We could have spent 50mil on Torres or 35mil on Carroll!
AW will be totally culpable if (when) RvP gets crocked, especially as there were reasonably priced options out there (Zamora, Podolski etc).

For the future, Soldado and Llorente both look good and would be in our price range.

Your list did make me realise how our 'best league in the world' has actually got very few decent strikers.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Sorry but a lot of this thread strikes me as very short-termist and knee-jerk. Plenty of teams would love to have Chamakh and Park as striking options. If you're comparing them as back-ups to the back-ups of teams like Wigan and Everton then that's a pointless excercise as we cannot compete with Wigan and Everton on fees and wages! :roll:
Chamakh is a full international and Park is captain of his country.
Besides that how can you blame the manager for their performances? Park cannot be judged until he has had a run of games, and Chamakh likewise never plays - so how can you call him shit if he never plays?!

Seriously guys pfffft....
:shock:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

You can't really mock Torres or Carroll, both are good players and would score loads if they were at the right clubs, Carroll was the best centre forward that came to ours last year with Newcastle, Torres seems in the wrong club at the wrong time, at United he would score 30 every year.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Doesn't see like it was that long ago (98/99) when we'd regularly end up with four decent strikers on the pitch: Bergkamp, Henry, Kanu, Sukor, plus Ljundberg and Overmars on the flanks!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

You forgot about Bendtner :lol:

In all seriousness though, yeah, we are really ailing in this position.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

SpanishJoe wrote:I completely agree with the sentiment of this thread but not it's analysis. At least half a dozen of those teams have got back-up strikers just a shit as ours.
Mind you, it could be worse. We could have spent 50mil on Torres or 35mil on Carroll!
AW will be totally culpable if (when) RvP gets crocked, especially as there were reasonably priced options out there (Zamora, Podolski etc).

For the future, Soldado and Llorente both look good and would be in our price range.

Your list did make me realise how our 'best league in the world' has actually got very few decent strikers.
I did say that half a dozen or so were up for debate, but you agree with me that where we are is shocking. I look at QPR now after this window and think that they have better players in numbers than SQ and The Camel. Cisse, Bothroyd and Zamora are all better than those two jokers.

The opposite used to be true. A team like QPR would look at a 4th choice Arsenal striker and could only dream of what it would be like to have a Wiltord or a Kanu.

QPR are fucking relegation fodder. Look at the Baggies too. Odemwingie or Long are far, far better players than our two chuckle brothers

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO do you think Wenger should consider playing the "great man " as a striker when he gets back from injury. :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:SteveO do you think Wenger should consider playing the "great man " as a striker when he gets back from injury. :wink:
There's only one place for the 'great man' Sid, and its not where you think he should be mate.

The team is crying out for the Imperious Abou to be tucked in behind the front man. Honestly, without Cesc and the bucktoothed lesbian around, he is head and shoulders above anything else we've got in terms of creativity.

Watch the assist for RvP's goal on the last day of last season at Fulham and ask yourself when you are going to see Ramsey, Song or Arteta do that from midfield (and I like Arteta btw, but he can't produce that sort of magic)

Sadly no 'great man' for another month or so

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:SteveO do you think Wenger should consider playing the "great man " as a striker when he gets back from injury. :wink:
There's only one place for the 'great man' Sid, and its not where you think he should be mate.

The team is crying out for the Imperious Abou to be tucked in behind the front man. Honestly, without Cesc and the bucktoothed lesbian around, he is head and shoulders above anything else we've got in terms of creativity.

Watch the assist for RvP's goal on the last day of last season at Fulham and ask yourself when you are going to see Ramsey, Song or Arteta do that from midfield (and I like Arteta btw, but he can't produce that sort of magic)

Sadly no 'great man' for another month or so
You mad bastard :wink: :lol:

SteveO 35

Re: Every club in the PL has a better 2nd choice striker

Post by SteveO 35 »

As if it needed any further examples

QPR v Spurs

Djibril Cisse on the bench for QPR.
Adebayor and Saha injured for the Spuds, they bring in Defoe

FFS Wenger - wake up and see what's in front of your sodding eyes. Our attack is the laughing stock of the Premier League. Even Rodallega on Wigan's bench is a better option than any of our fucking clowns.

What a great forward line-up it will be when RvP leaves - Podolski (I'll believe it when he joins), Chamakh, Park, plus any other of the useless *word censored* who went out on loan and are not wanted by anyone

Rosicky's Right Boot

Re: Every club in the PL has a better 2nd choice striker

Post by Rosicky's Right Boot »

Even though I know for a fact I'd be more useful on the pitch than Chamakh right now, he is most likely off in the summer. And if rumours regarding Podolski come to fruition and RVP stays, we'll have a good first choice attack, but still lack depth. Ideally we need to sign Podolski, someone else and keep RVP.