Barcelona are sh1t

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
flash gunner

Re: Barcelona are sh1t

Post by flash gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:People do seem to forget that even if the King of Denmark had bucked his trend of showing an elephant's touch in front of goal, and took his chance, there was nothing to rule out Barcelona going and scoring at least one more in the time that followed against our 10 men

I seem to recall getting back to 2-2 at Anfield in the CL QF with time running down and holding that position for less than a minute before the old doughnut muncher conceded a penalty, and there was of course Eboue snatching a draw from the jaws of victory in the 99th minute against the Mickeys last year

Lets be honest Barca handed us a 3-1 stuffing really. Yes there is the possibility that Numpty Nik could have scored the most improbable winner but we had been given a masterclass. I can't remember enjoying a game less
I dont think anyone has said anything else mate. We got stuffed that night against Barca but still could have won it just in the way we beat Parma in '95 or lost to Luton in the '88 league cup after stuffing them

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

g88ner wrote:
Babatunde wrote: Arsenal WERE NEVER GOING TO BEAT BARCA OVER 2 LEGS.

FFS Arsenal can't even create enough chances against QPR at Loftus Road Lol pull the other one....
:roll:
You come up with plenty of good stuff Baba, but sometimes I get the feeling you're trying too hard to be negative towards Arsenal
Have to agree with g88ner here babs, barca are undoubtedly a better side than us, but on that night they were misfiring badly, and although we were poor, we were starting to come into the game when rvp was sent off.
Barca had created very little themselves up until that point, and the own goal had them reeling a little, and no doubt worried as we'd come back against them in the first leg looking the much fitter side towards the end of the game.
Another goal from us no matter how it came would have left them needing 3, when they weren't playing well and we would still have had 10 men on the pitch.
Even with 10 we could have snatched it had Bendtner not been a useless c**t.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

SteveO 35 wrote: Lets be honest Barca handed us a 3-1 stuffing really. Yes there is the possibility that Numpty Nik could have scored the most improbable winner but we had been given a masterclass. I can't remember enjoying a game less
Apart from the silly cesc backheel right on half time I quite enjoyed most of the game. I fully expected them to be all over us for 60 minutes and their level of pressing was quite out of this world but I said before the start that If we could get to the 60-70 minute mark without being 3-0 down that we could come into it as their pressing would drop ever so slightly.

Oh well :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

LDB wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote: Lets be honest Barca handed us a 3-1 stuffing really. Yes there is the possibility that Numpty Nik could have scored the most improbable winner but we had been given a masterclass. I can't remember enjoying a game less
Apart from the silly cesc backheel right on half time I quite enjoyed most of the game. I fully expected them to be all over us for 60 minutes and their level of pressing was quite out of this world but I said before the start that If we could get to the 60-70 minute mark without being 3-0 down that we could come into it as their pressing would drop ever so slightly.

I actually enjoyed the 4-1 defeat at the Nou Camp much more (the previous year). At 1-0 up over there we had a decent chance to play in Walcott to make it 2-0, and they were clearly crapping themselves every time he got the ball, as his pace and directness had dragged us back to 2-2 in the first game. Now, 2-0 up over there and looking good value for it would have been interesting

In last season's game, I never enjoyed it because it was so frustrating watching the entire match played in our half. Our first corner and 'shot' was the own goal that produced the equaliser. I can never enjoy watching us get that sort of battering from anyone, but as you say, there was a chance to actually go through right at the end....and we'll never know

LDB

Post by LDB »

SteveO 35 wrote:
LDB wrote:

I actually enjoyed the 4-1 defeat at the Nou Camp much more (the previous year). At 1-0 up over there we had a decent chance to play in Walcott to make it 2-0, and they were clearly crapping themselves every time he got the ball, as his pace and directness had dragged us back to 2-2 in the first game. Now, 2-0 up over there and looking good value for it would have been interesting

In last season's game, I never enjoyed it because it was so frustrating watching the entire match played in our half. Our first corner and 'shot' was the own goal that produced the equaliser. I can never enjoy watching us get that sort of battering from anyone, but as you say, there was a chance to actually go through right at the end....and we'll never know
Remind me which player fucked up playing in theo for 2-0? Go on. Say his name. :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Personally I'm a fan of Barca's football style, Gardiola's managerial abilities and couldn't disagree more with the theme of this thread. Maybe I was the only one but I thought last night's game was very good and exciting with the tie remaining in the balance until right near the end but the better side winning.

Much as I like flash and 'interesting' as the debate has been, and free though people are to see things differently, I have to say that the title, opening post and other contributions on this thread are so far wide of the mark it's bordering on deliberate WUM territory!! :shock: :shock: :rubchin: :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Personally I thought last night's game was very good and exciting with the tie remaining in the balance until right near the end. Much as I like flash and 'interesting' as the debate has been, I have to say that the title, opening post and other contributions on this thread are so far wide of the mark it's bordering on deliberate WUM territory!! :shock: :shock: :rubchin: :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:
As i said to SteveO on page 1 of the thread worryingly im serious :? :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Remind me which player fucked up playing in theo for 2-0? Go on. Say his name. :lol:[/quote]

The same chap that had been pivotal in getting us in front. Sadly even the Great Man makes the odd mistake

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Personally I'm a fan of Barca's football style, Gardiola's managerial abilities and couldn't disagree more with the theme of this thread. Maybe I was the only one but I thought last night's game was very good and exciting with the tie remaining in the balance until right near the end but the better side winning.

Much as I like flash and 'interesting' as the debate has been, and free though people are to see things differently, I have to say that the title, opening post and other contributions on this thread are so far wide of the mark it's bordering on deliberate WUM territory!! :shock: :shock: :rubchin: :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Yes, never has there been such a WUM moment since a certain someone uttered the words "but actually I like Carlos Vela as well" :D

By the way IHH, you're not alone. I noticed yesterday that on the Chamakh thread, Red was saying how much we'd been missing Vela this season :D

Like 2 WUMS in a pod :D :D :D

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

LDB wrote:
Babatunde wrote: SERIOUSLY???!

ARSENAL this is we are talking about.

The team that scored in the 97th minute against Liverpool in the league in a title race last season, and ended up drawing the game!

The team that faced a soon to be relegated Brum in the CC final and lost!

The team that bottled a 4-0 lead at St James Park!

I completely agree that the RVP second yellow was a complete farce. But please, let's not pretend it was a game-changer. Arsenal were playing with Diaby ffs. And ALMUNIA in goal!!! :oops: Then there was the now legendary comical AKB mantra that was 'if only Bendtner's touch had been better we were a kick away from getting through'.

Errr yes maybe that's so. But, the reason Bendtner's touch wasn't better is because he's rubbish. Plain as.
It's the same as the Villareal team saying 'if only Riquelme's pen had gone in, we woulda been in a CL final against Arsenal'.

Bui it didn't, because he's a bottler.
:rubchin:
Maybe you've misunderstood me, im not saying we definately would have gone through, I was saying that as things stood we were going through at the time of the sending off and the sending off killed off any chance we had of coming into the last 30 minutes of the game, which we had a history of doing against Barca.

As always you seem to be arguing against the point you want me to be making rather then the point actually being made. Im obviously not saying that we are better or anywhere near Barca in terms of quality, pedigree mentality or workrate. But I dont think its impossible that we could go on to beat barca over 180 minutes of football when we were ahead and improving after 150. Im no AKB but I dont hate Wenger so much that I revel in my club being shat on from a great height by UEFA.

As flash has said, if you were to be believed every match would be settled before the teams walk onto the pitch, we might as well dish out the trophies in August and forget about actually playing football.
Few things

1. According to most Arsenal fans, matches and the whole season indeed, are settled before we walk on the pitch anyways aren't they? Why else do I keep hearing from Arsenal fans that we could never compete for the league, since the teams with the most money are the ones who will win it? (despite all evidence pointing to the opposite.

2. Why do you speak of Arsenal being shat on by UEFA? Do you have any concrete evidence of a UEFA conspiracy? What makes you think UEFA are so scared of Arsenal and see them as a threat? Is it our amazing defensive resilience? Or is it Arsene Wenger's managerial tactical genius? Or possibly all those consecutive 3rd/4th placed trophies we keep winning...

3. Matches are not settled before teams walk on a pitch. In a one-off game, ANYTHING can happen. Examples such as this are, e.g. Arsenal beating Barca 2-1 at home in the Emirates. Rubin Kazan beating Barca at Camp Nou.
However. Over 180 minutes, it is IMPOSSIBLE, that any team managed by Arsene Wenger, and containing as many liabilities as Arsenal could ever ever ever overcome Barcelona. It simply isn't possible. Over 1 match you can do it. That can be luck. Over 2 matches, you need quality.

Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, will NEVER beat a team managed by Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho over 180 minutes. It simply isn't possible. Fact.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I watch most of Barca's games and I think they are worse this year than last (even though they've improved their squad).
Their ticatac football was originally their strategy for winning games but it appears to have become an end in itself. They seem to only want to score goals that involve six intricate one-twos on the edge of the box, often spurning acres of space out wide and their build-up play has slowed down.
Their attitude appears to have become complacent rather than confident, even in the face of some poor draws in La Liga and Messi appears to think it's his team and players feel they have to pass to him, irrespective of other players being in better positions.
When they play with some pace they look fantastic but when they slow down, like us, they become boring and less effective.
I hate Alves, am not very keen on Busquets but I still like Barca and they are probably still the best in the world.

LDB

Post by LDB »

Babatunde wrote:
LDB wrote:
Babatunde wrote: SERIOUSLY???!

ARSENAL this is we are talking about.

The team that scored in the 97th minute against Liverpool in the league in a title race last season, and ended up drawing the game!

The team that faced a soon to be relegated Brum in the CC final and lost!

The team that bottled a 4-0 lead at St James Park!

I completely agree that the RVP second yellow was a complete farce. But please, let's not pretend it was a game-changer. Arsenal were playing with Diaby ffs. And ALMUNIA in goal!!! :oops: Then there was the now legendary comical AKB mantra that was 'if only Bendtner's touch had been better we were a kick away from getting through'.

Errr yes maybe that's so. But, the reason Bendtner's touch wasn't better is because he's rubbish. Plain as.
It's the same as the Villareal team saying 'if only Riquelme's pen had gone in, we woulda been in a CL final against Arsenal'.

Bui it didn't, because he's a bottler.
:rubchin:
Maybe you've misunderstood me, im not saying we definately would have gone through, I was saying that as things stood we were going through at the time of the sending off and the sending off killed off any chance we had of coming into the last 30 minutes of the game, which we had a history of doing against Barca.

As always you seem to be arguing against the point you want me to be making rather then the point actually being made. Im obviously not saying that we are better or anywhere near Barca in terms of quality, pedigree mentality or workrate. But I dont think its impossible that we could go on to beat barca over 180 minutes of football when we were ahead and improving after 150. Im no AKB but I dont hate Wenger so much that I revel in my club being shat on from a great height by UEFA.

As flash has said, if you were to be believed every match would be settled before the teams walk onto the pitch, we might as well dish out the trophies in August and forget about actually playing football.
Few things

1. According to most Arsenal fans, matches and the whole season indeed, are settled before we walk on the pitch anyways aren't they? Why else do I keep hearing from Arsenal fans that we could never compete for the league, since the teams with the most money are the ones who will win it? (despite all evidence pointing to the opposite.

2. Why do you speak of Arsenal being shat on by UEFA? Do you have any concrete evidence of a UEFA conspiracy? What makes you think UEFA are so scared of Arsenal and see them as a threat? Is it our amazing defensive resilience? Or is it Arsene Wenger's managerial tactical genius? Or possibly all those consecutive 3rd/4th placed trophies we keep winning...

3. Matches are not settled before teams walk on a pitch. In a one-off game, ANYTHING can happen. Examples such as this are, e.g. Arsenal beating Barca 2-1 at home in the Emirates. Rubin Kazan beating Barca at Camp Nou.
However. Over 180 minutes, it is IMPOSSIBLE, that any team managed by Arsene Wenger, and containing as many liabilities as Arsenal could ever ever ever overcome Barcelona. It simply isn't possible. Over 1 match you can do it. That can be luck. Over 2 matches, you need quality.

Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, will NEVER beat a team managed by Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho over 180 minutes. It simply isn't possible. Fact.
1. Again, argue the point im making not the one you want me to be making. I completely agree that we should have the standards and aspirations of title winners despite being at a financial disadvantage.

2. Concrete evidence? No ofcourse not but concrete evidence will never be found unless people ask the question before hand and in my opinion the chelsea, arsenal, inter and ac milan experiences against Barca are cause for suspicion.

3. If you can beat them over 90 minutes once then you can do it twice. There are some things in this world considered metaphysical fact. This is not one of them by any stretch of the imagination.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

flash gunner wrote:
Babatunde wrote:
STLgooner89 wrote:I still to this day think there was something fishy about the way Van Persie was sent off against them last year. You could play that incident a hundred times in a hundred separate matches and I would be surprised if any referee would come to the conclusion that he should be given a second yellow for that. It just would not happen, I've never known anything like it and coming as it did (just after we'd equalised and began to get a footing in the game) its all just a bit too much for me to swallow as innocent.

The thing is, we were reduced to ten men right when we started to look alright and got some confidence from a lucky goal. We would have have recorded shots on target if we finished the game with 11 men. Not saying we weren't shit in that first half, but c'mon.
And if my auntie had testicles etc etc...seriously this is pathetic. This is Barca we are talking about, possibly the greatest club side of the last 30-40 years, 5 consecutive CL semis, and you honestly think a mediocre outfit like Arsenal were ever gonna beat them over 2 legs?! Pull the other one! Jesus it's actually scary, some ppl starting to sound like deluded Liverpool fans. It's embarrassing. PLEASE.

Arsenal WERE NEVER GOING TO BEAT BARCA OVER 2 LEGS.

That's why they have made 5 consecutive CL semis.

FFS Arsenal can't even create enough chances against QPR at Loftus Road Lol pull the other one....
You cant use that old we didnt beat QPR so we wont beat Barca rubbish. Barca lost to Getafe this season so are they better than us too? You cant go comparing results... The fact is we beat them at home and with 11 men away who knows what might have happened the likelyhood we would have lost but who knows??? :? Would you have put money on us beating Milan 3-0 after losing away 4-0 and being a RVP shot away from scoring a 4th? I wouldnt have but these things happen.

You said in an earlier post Guardiola has shown up Wenger in 2 years compared to 15 (why its got to come back to Wenger i dont know :roll: ) lets not fuck about my old uncle could manage that Barca team, Guardiola is the luckiest man in footballing history to take over (as 2nd choice to Mourinho i might add) just as that team matured all at the same time and with plenty of cash to buy Villa, Cesc and others to back it up
In this comment alone you have demonstrated a spectacular level of breathtaking ignorance that is unparralleled, even by you. It reminds me of the kind of jokers who claim the team with the most money will always win.
If it is as easy to manage that Barca team then answer me a few questions please:

1. Frank Rijkaard had a team with a front line of Eto'o; Ronaldinho (Ballon d'Or), Henry, Messi - he also had the options of Bojan etc. Yet he finished 4th and was sacked. He found the egos hard to cope with. So if you could manage that Barca team (LOL), why did Rijkaard ultimately fail with this group of players?

2. I just told you Guardiola has made 5 consecutive CL semis. No other team has ever done this. How do you legislate for this? It's one thing doing it in your local league, but doing that in Europe's biggest compo is outstanding. Did you really engage your brian before making that stupid comment?

3. Real Madrid have far more money at their disposal than Barca. How on earth are Barca continuing to wipe the floor with Jose and prior Real teams?

4. Pep Guardiola made history by winning SIX trophies in a single season. I'll ask again, you think this is something anyone can do?

5. Your comment is so baseless that the argument can be flipped: "I could have easily won a double if you'd given me a defence with Seaman, Adams, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould etc, and you'd left me Dennis Bergkamp up front."
What you're not taking into account, is that Guardiola has been able to make a great team far, far better. He added to the team with quality signings like Alves, (Wenger to be fair did this with Paddy and Petit).

6. Pep Guardiola has managed to keep a group of mega-stars super-hungry and super eager. They win back to back titles again and again. They show an incredible hunger and desire for success, work incredibly hard on the pitch and instead of slacking off after winning the lot (6 trophies) they come back hungrier.

Then on the other hand, you have a manager like Wenger, whose players have achieved nothing in football, and lack the hunger to win, the humility to work hard on the pitch, and the desire to succeed. And yet Wenger earns almost the same money as Pep.

I could easily turn around now and say the following:

- I'd have won a league cup final against relegated Brum
- If I'd managed Arsenal, I'd never have let a 4-0 turn to 4-4
- As Arsenal manager, I would have won the league in 2008 when being 5 points clear and a piss-easy fixture list
- Had I been Arsenal manager, I would never have lost to QPR last week.
- Had I been Arsenal manager, my record, with the funds at my disposal, would be a dam sigh better than 1 final in FIFTEEN years.

I could go on, but you get my drift by now.

It is incredibly stupid, ignorant and bitter to downplay the mammoth achievements Guardiola has made. I suppose you can just take every great team in history like Ajax of the 1970s, 1970s Brazil and Bayern of the 70s and say 'Oh I woulda won that'.

But you didn't.

So get back to boxing up those Big Macs please....
:wink:

LDB

Post by LDB »

GranadaJoe wrote:I watch most of Barca's games and I think they are worse this year than last (even though they've improved their squad).
Their ticatac football was originally their strategy for winning games but it appears to have become an end in itself. They seem to only want to score goals that involve six intricate one-twos on the edge of the box, often spurning acres of space out wide and their build-up play has slowed down.
Their attitude appears to have become complacent rather than confident, even in the face of some poor draws in La Liga and Messi appears to think it's his team and players feel they have to pass to him, irrespective of other players being in better positions.
When they play with some pace they look fantastic but when they slow down, like us, they become boring and less effective.
I hate Alves, am not very keen on Busquets but I still like Barca and they are probably still the best in the world.
I dont watch Barca but going on some of their results and how messi-centric they seem to have become I cant see spain winning the Euros. Smart money is on Germany imo. Slightly offtopic but I thought I'd get that one in there :wink:

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

goonersid wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Babatunde wrote: Arsenal WERE NEVER GOING TO BEAT BARCA OVER 2 LEGS.

You come up with plenty of good stuff Baba, but sometimes I get the feeling you're trying too hard to be negative towards Arsenal
Have to agree with g88ner here babs, barca are undoubtedly a better side than us, but on that night they were misfiring badly, and although we were poor, we were starting to come into the game when rvp was sent off.
Barca had created very little themselves up until that point, and the own goal had them reeling a little, and no doubt worried as we'd come back against them in the first leg looking the much fitter side towards the end of the game.
Another goal from us no matter how it came would have left them needing 3, when they weren't playing well and we would still have had 10 men on the pitch.
Even with 10 we could have snatched it had Bendtner not been a useless c**t.
G88ner and Sid...I see the point of what you are saying. I really do.

My contention is that seriously, think about it: Arsenal created Zero shots on or off target. We were toothless and could not get the ball. It was all Barca. There is absolutely NO evidence to suggest we would have created anything, and scored. More to the point, with RVP on the pitch, RVP didn't get a sniff. So why all of a sudden is there this general notion that had the ref not done this; (and I agree he screwed us)...that Arsenal would have heroically held out for a draw? Why is there a belief we would have scored a goal, even though all the Facts and evidence clearly demonstrate that in the previous 56 minutes, Arsenal had not created a single chance?

I amgenuinely trying to understand this???