Sad but true

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Sad but true

Post by goonersid »

Good title post, whilst I will put my hands up and recognise that Wenger has staged a remarkable turn around, and must be applauded for it. We should however not under estimate how much the spuds collapse and the chav unrest has aided our cause, and perhaps even more so our cup exits, meaning fewer games and less reason for Wenger to tinker with his starting 11, thus exposing the weaknesses in the squad. (can you imagine if rvp had been rested and it was left to chamakh or park to lead the line)
That said Wenger still can't resist changing a winning formula, thus the involvement of the hapless Ramsey, invariably resulting in an under par team performance.
What will happen in the summer reagrding rvp and other transfers remains to be seen, a leopard however cannot change it's spots and Wenger has misled us, as to what would be happening in the summer window, for the last 6 years.
A third place finish would give Wenger the opportunity to walk away with his reputation somewhat intact, I doubt he will though and instead will promise much and deliver little in the summer, ultimately culminating in his "we are good enough to challenge for the title" speech and our returning injured players being like new signings.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

psychoangus wrote:To be honest, with Wilshere back, signing Benny permanently and Podolski I'd be pretty happy with the squad.

I'd add Joao Moutinho but that's about it.
Moutinho is a good shout, technically gifted but I'd worry about his lack of physicallity. Looked really good in his early years at Sporting but then badly lost his way before being rejuvinated at Porto. Can play anywhere in midfield and would be a good bit of business. But it won't happen.

officepest

Post by officepest »

arseofacrow wrote:
Red Member wrote:hopefully podolski can be the cover for RVP

i think the biggest problem is our lack of goalkeepers.
we need an experienced keeper as backup to Chesney.
You see a full German international in his prime as only cover for van Persie?

:lol:
Not sure about Podolski being cover tbh. He can play up front, as a No 10 or on the left-wing so is quite versatile. If we have agreed to sign him (still not declared) then I'd be happy. Ignore his record at Bayern, he's done well for Koln in two stints and his record for the national team is outstanding. Good age too.

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

officepest wrote:
psychoangus wrote:To be honest, with Wilshere back, signing Benny permanently and Podolski I'd be pretty happy with the squad.

I'd add Joao Moutinho but that's about it.
Moutinho is a good shout, technically gifted but I'd worry about his lack of physicallity. Looked really good in his early years at Sporting but then badly lost his way before being rejuvinated at Porto. Can play anywhere in midfield and would be a good bit of business. But it won't happen.
Yeah but then we've always been a team of small lockpickers. Unfortunately he's been linked with Chelsea since about 1923 so I don't think he's even on the radar. Shame, because everytime I've seen him he's bossed games. Everton last season couldn't cope with him at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing Frimpong and Lansbury given more chances and possibly Conor Henderson who I've only seen play once or twice but looked a good Adam Johnson type player with a lot about him.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

officepest wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
Red Member wrote:hopefully podolski can be the cover for RVP

i think the biggest problem is our lack of goalkeepers.
You see a full German international in his prime as only cover for van Persie?

:lol:
Not sure about Podolski being cover tbh. He can play up front, as a No 10 or on the left-wing so is quite versatile. If we have agreed to sign him (still not declared) then I'd be happy. Ignore his record at Bayern, he's done well for Koln in two stints and his record for the national team is outstanding. Good age too.
didnt realise he can play on the left - thats where he can go then. Arshavin will be gone, Gervinho is crap and the OX can play on the right.
bit of a problem though because I have of course missed out Walcott. interesting article in the standard last night may have solved that problem though - Walcott apparently wants to play up front with RVP. One thing for next season is certain - if RVP stays then Walcott MUST play every major game with him, whether up front or on the right.

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

supergeorgegraham wrote:I totally agree with the Koscielny point. He has been our best improvement this season by far. Maybe Santos will be ok I certainly hope so.
Overall though we do seem to play players out of form and that has been a problem over the last 5 or 6 years.
I would like to see Ox start more but thats based on the fact he has always done well in my view.
Likes others have said, we don't have the greatest of squads overall so it's imperative that players are given a chance to prove themselves - especially the youngsters. I know Ramsey hasn't looked too good recently but if you can't just blow this type of player out. I don't think any team can say they have 100% perfect squad!

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

How nice of you red!

:barscarf: :lol: :wink:

p206ab

Post by p206ab »

rigsby wrote:
13mil £ for Udinese's Handanović and problem is solved :)
Although there is a little problem in his first name :lol: , but he's a great keeper.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Assuming Poldolski is coming (please God!) I think we need cover at rightback and a good deeper-lying, strong, intelligent CM. Javi Martinez would be my choice (I championed him well before he shone for Bilbao against Manure). He's 24, well over six feet tall, an international etc and can play the Arteta role or further forward. I fear he's out of our price range now. I don't much about M'Vila, but he appears to have planty of admirers.

Given our purchasing history, 3 good, planned signings would be very acceptable.

officepest

Post by officepest »

GranadaJoe wrote:Assuming Poldolski is coming (please God!) I think we need cover at rightback and a good deeper-lying, strong, intelligent CM. Javi Martinez would be my choice (I championed him well before he shone for Bilbao against Manure). He's 24, well over six feet tall, an international etc and can play the Arteta role or further forward. I fear he's out of our price range now. I don't much about M'Vila, but he appears to have planty of admirers.

Given our purchasing history, 3 good, planned signings would be very acceptable.
Martinez: a hundred times yes. He can also play p/t centre-half too, but, we won't get him either.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Sell:

Almunia
Mannone
Hoyte
Bartley
Squillachi
Eastmond
Denilson
Diaby
Arshavin
Park
Bendtner
Vela
Chamakh

Loan:

Ignasi Miquel, Chuks Aneke, Ozyakup

See how following get on in first team squad:

Eisfeld
Watt
Miyaichi
Afobe
Yennaris
Campbell (work permit permitting)
Botelho (work permit permitting)
Wellington (work permit permitting)

Buy:

-Podolski - striker/left midfield
-Vertonghen - left back/central defence/defensive midfield
-Good second choice goalkeeper
-Experienced creative player to replace Benayoun if Benayoun does not sign again on loan, which would be prefered option.

Try:

Santos as left midfield on occasion.

I like Dempsey as a player but if we have RvP, Podolski, Afobe as strikers will Dempsey want to come if we continue to play one striker?