It's all the Gooner magazine's fault.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: It's all the Gooner magazine's fault.

Post by augie »

REB wrote:augie
the spy was always the first peice i went too but not anymore and mickey cannon can be another painful read when the team have won a couple of games, seems we have forgot the first 3-4 months of the season while we stumble into a cl place,but in its defence we were on a roll when they went to press so to speak, amd you have another moan on the letters page :D should make you letters editor :wink:

Havent got that far yet - am beginning to think that I should look for royalties :oops: :wink: :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

augie wrote:
REB wrote:augie
the spy was always the first peice i went too but not anymore and mickey cannon can be another painful read when the team have won a couple of games, seems we have forgot the first 3-4 months of the season while we stumble into a cl place,but in its defence we were on a roll when they went to press so to speak, amd you have another moan on the letters page :D should make you letters editor :wink:

Havent got that far yet - am beginning to think that I should look for royalties :oops: :wink: :lol:
Your best bet is to head towards Buckingham Palace mate. Failing that, try Windsor or Balmoral. You're welcome. 8) :lol: :lol: :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

anyone read the comment on swls letter from joe mardon who edited the letters page, another cheap dig at the forum :?

700000 posts on here and you would think everyone of them called wenger a c**t ,the same guy who on another comment about the gooner says write your own peice if you find the fanzine negative but who wont do the same on here then makes a comment about the forum about the use of the c word, and then says the educated are welcomed back plus makes no comment on the letter itself :banghead:

slowly the letters page will kill the fanzine with the letter eds thinking themselves important to be taking the piss out of everyone who spends there money buying the zine in the first place :twisted:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The fanzine seems all too happy to engage in negative editorials and articles when the team has had a bad month, then expects everyone to become as fickle as the Spy and starting shouting from the rooftops on the back of a few wins.

Is everyone incapable of looking at the bigger picture and long term.

Wenger's positive track record was earned over 10 years culminating in the unbeaten season in 2004 and the achievement of reaching our first CL final in 2006

His negative track record has been earned over 6 years, during which time he has overseen a season by season decline in the quality of football and the squad - most markedly since the end of the 2007/08 season which is when I started to lose my faith in him

One good month or one bad month shouldn't change people's attitudes. If he signs the right players and makes a sustained challenge for top trophies over the next 2-3 years then people like me should admit they were wrong. If he continues the decline till his contract is up in 2014 then the AKBs should do likewise.

This season we've had too many posters crowing over one win, or one loss. If after 38 games this season we have finished 5th or 6th who will give a shit that during March we looked invincible?

augie

Post by augie »

Steve O, I know that I am repeating myself here but he really shouldnt be allowed to remain on after this season much less see out the remainder of his contract

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

REB wrote:anyone read the comment on swls letter from joe mardon who edited the letters page, another cheap dig at the forum :?

700000 posts on here and you would think everyone of them called wenger a c**t ,the same guy who on another comment about the gooner says write your own peice if you find the fanzine negative but who wont do the same on here then makes a comment about the forum about the use of the c word, and then says the educated are welcomed back plus makes no comment on the letter itself :banghead:

slowly the letters page will kill the fanzine with the letter eds thinking themselves important to be taking the piss out of everyone who spends there money buying the zine in the first place :twisted:
To be fair, I specifically asked Joe to (a) use a few of the forum posts I gave him and (b) plug the fact that the forum was back with some modified boundaries to encourage more people to participate. Perhaps that isn't how it came across, but all publicity is good publicity.... isn't it? :)

REB

Post by REB »

publicity is one thing mike but if you read the comment under swls letter it is a pure bitch about the forum and makes out that we were all a bunch of twats who just started threads calling wenger a c**t.

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

SteveO 35 wrote:The fanzine seems all too happy to engage in negative editorials and articles when the team has had a bad month, then expects everyone to become as fickle as the Spy and starting shouting from the rooftops on the back of a few wins.
As we always say, we print what we receive and that is bound to reflect the teams current form to an extent. What we've tried to do this season is to have fewer "football manager" contributions and some more varied content, like the piece on old programmes in the current issue for example and in response to requests for more humour, things like the alternative Wenger's View page and Rixy's Believe It Or Not. The feedback we've had this season has been very positive, but there's always room for improvement and I've long since accepted that we can't please all the people all of the time.

As for the Spy being fickle... you say that as though it's a new thing!! He's been writing for the fanzine for over 20 years now and I'm sure has varied his stance on plenty of occasions over that time, but he does say in his latest column that he's skipped a few issues this season because he couldn't bear to write negative stuff all the time, which I have to say I can sympathise with.

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

REB wrote:publicity is one thing mike but if you read the comment under swls letter it is a pure bitch about the forum and makes out that we were all a bunch of twats who just started threads calling wenger a c**t.
Have to agree to disagree on that one. I think the point Joe was making was that there were plenty of people who didn't do that and they are welcome back. If everyone had been doing it, there's no chance the forum would have been reopened.

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

LeGinge (Northern Branch) wrote:It's been the same for a while to be honest. Do people not remember "Catch Us If You Can" :oops: :lol:
Guilty as charged. That was my idea. I remember travelling home from having beat Blackburn in an incredibly positive frame of mind.

In my defence, I was also behind the recent front cover "In Need of New Direction" which came out on the day we beat Spurs, so it wasn't particularly reflective of how a lot of fans were feeling as they left the ground and started reading it!

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

augie wrote:Maybe so but is there a concerted effort to appear more positive in our outlook ? It's not that I conscribe to the conspiracy theories floated around here in the last couple of months but I find it hard to fathom such a major turnaround in outlook from people like the spy and the mag in general :? :shock: It is no secret that there have been tons of complaints against the negativity in the mag and on here so maybe more of an effort is being made to appease the tinters and appear to balance things out ? I have to say that I too have lost respect for the spy :(
There is a concerted effort to appear more balanced. I'm not going to deny that. There were issues last season (before the Carling Cup Final) where it seemed that every article was a moan. If people think that is reflective of the core fanbase, then they are wrong and you only need to engage in conversations with people in the pubs around the ground and at supporters meetings to know that.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I've not yet seen the issue - will comment about it when I have, but to be fair I wouldn't have an issue with someone disagreeing with me, as long as they didn't make generalisations...

And I really do think the forum is less anti-Wenger than it was pre-shutdown, maybe due to results maybe due to some people not coming back.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Mike1 wrote:
augie wrote:Maybe so but is there a concerted effort to appear more positive in our outlook ? It's not that I conscribe to the conspiracy theories floated around here in the last couple of months but I find it hard to fathom such a major turnaround in outlook from people like the spy and the mag in general :? :shock: It is no secret that there have been tons of complaints against the negativity in the mag and on here so maybe more of an effort is being made to appease the tinters and appear to balance things out ? I have to say that I too have lost respect for the spy :(
There is a concerted effort to appear more balanced. I'm not going to deny that. There were issues last season (before the Carling Cup Final) where it seemed that every article was a moan. If people think that is reflective of the core fanbase, then they are wrong and you only need to engage in conversations with people in the pubs around the ground and at supporters meetings to know that.
Before the Carling Cup Final!!!! What was it like immediately after and the following weeks :shock: :worried:

:lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

flash gunner wrote:
Mike1 wrote:
Before the Carling Cup Final!!!! What was it like immediately after and the following weeks :shock: :worried:

:lol:
It was fine Flash because we all accepted that we only lost that game under 'special circumstances' and then showed a very good spirit to see off Leyton Orient a few days later

LeGinge (Northern Branch)

Post by LeGinge (Northern Branch) »

Mike1 wrote:
LeGinge (Northern Branch) wrote:It's been the same for a while to be honest. Do people not remember "Catch Us If You Can" :oops: :lol:
Guilty as charged. That was my idea. I remember travelling home from having beat Blackburn in an incredibly positive frame of mind.

In my defence, I was also behind the recent front cover "In Need of New Direction" which came out on the day we beat Spurs, so it wasn't particularly reflective of how a lot of fans were feeling as they left the ground and started reading it!
Ha! to be fair it did catch the mood of the time (even Hleb was playing well!) it's just a shame you caused the resulting capitulation and nosedive to third place 8) :wink: