Which defeat hurt you the most?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Re: Which defeat hurt you the most?

Post by LDB »

Im not sure but what I do know is that this thread is fucking painful to read. Some of us like to repress these things. Lock it down 8)

Deise Gooner

Post by Deise Gooner »

TheCook wrote:
highburyJD wrote: There was a CL KO v Valencia I remember particularly gutting me,
Carew I think...
Yeah, lost on away goals after he scored in the 2nd Leg : I think that was one of our best chances to win it ; Would have been Leeds in the semi final too.

My worst ever were '99 FA Cup semi final replay ; I needed 3 years to get over that (til we beat Chelsea in '02), and '06 in Paris v Barca, even though it is still the best away trip ever. I am still not over that defeat, and what increases the pain is the knowledge we are further away from that trophy than we have been for 15 years.
Wasnt that in the Second Group Phase that was in place back then :? I seem to recall it was but i could be wrong. All i remember from the game is Bobby getting booked for a dive late on :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

No, it was the 1/4 finals. I think we won the first leg 2-1 and lost 1-0 in the return. :cry: :cry: I'm not 100% certain but didn't one of our defenders unnecessarily give the ball away which led to their goal? :rubchin: :rubchin:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:No, it was the 1/4 finals. I think we won the first leg 2-1 and lost 1-0 in the return. :cry: :cry: I'm not 100% certain but didn't one of our defenders unnecessarily give the ball away which led to their goal? :rubchin: :rubchin:
Not sure about Carew's goal but I think it was about 77 minutes in, I remember we fought back well at Highbury after Ayala put them ahead.

To add to the obvious ones above I would put the 4-2 at Anfield in 2008, summed up our season. Although there was indignation at Kuyt getting away with a blatant foul in the box at the Emirates and Gerrard's penalty being soft the crux of it was that we wasted a 1-0 lead at Anfield too easily and that conceding the goal so soon after making it 2-2 was nothing short of criminal. Defensively we weren't good enough, and haven't been at any point since then. That game and the 01 Cup final also outline how ridiculous it was for the Scousers to whinge about the injustice of us taking 3 points up there this year.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

I'm getting a memory recall of sorts ( was going to say flashback but was frightened of the sexual implications you guys would obviously derive from it!! :oops: :lol: ) and think it was Ralph Lauren who rather than knocking the ball out for a throw, tried to play a pass on the edge of our box - something like that anyway. :rubchin: :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Benfica 3-1 (aet) defeat at Highbury in 1991/92 European Cup is the one I'm still bitter about. We were first Engliah to play in the competition after the European ban . We tonked Austria Vienna 6-1, got a great 1-1 draw in Benfica, they were there for the taking. I expected us to roll them over. For me beating them in the Champions League final will be the only thing that will ease the hurt of that defeat.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

without a doubt the result that hurt the most was champions league final defeat, I shed a tear for the first time in defeat. :cry:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Yes the QF Champ League to Chelsea is my top defeat as well. We deserved to win it that year.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Despite being at the game I was too young for Villa Park 99 to leave the lasting impact on me it should have done.

CL final against Barcelona is obviously right up there, for all our achievements beating Madrid, Juve and Barca to win the CL with that team would have been something we could dine out on until the end of time.

Losing to Chelsea in 2004 was devastating, we were a better team than them and threw it away. That was our year, we would have pissed all over Monaco and Porto with the team we had. We fucking blew it.

The Liverpool final in 2001 was sickening because we played them off the park and Henchoz got away with murder that game. Not as bad in my book though by virtue of the fact we won 3 of the next 4 there, especially given the nature of the 2005 final. As a local resident they picked a useful time to switch the finals to Cardiff, we made 4 of 5! :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Scum, FA cup semi final 1991.... horrible, just horrible. Thank christ for 93 and the chance for quick revenge.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Jock Gooner wrote:Scum, FA cup semi final 1991.... horrible, just horrible. Thank christ for 93 and the chance for quick revenge.
made '93 even better though...

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

highburyJD wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:Scum, FA cup semi final 1991.... horrible, just horrible. Thank christ for 93 and the chance for quick revenge.
What really made 93 was Dixon going straight through that horrible little shit Edinburgh :D Get him Lee, get him..... And good old Lee got him good and proper. Well worth being sent off

Nick Bendtners Ego

Re: Which! defeat hurt you the most?

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

Jock Gooner wrote:
highburyJD wrote:
What really made 93 was Dixon going straight through that horrible little shit Edinburgh :D Get him Lee, get him..... And good old Lee got him good and proper. Well worth being sent off
:) Remember that fondly, Psychic Sally wasn't needed to see it coming ! Wasn't said horrible little shit a closet Gooner to boot?

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

wasnt there a story that one of his testicles was left swollen to the size of a melon...?
maybe that was a dream

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

highburyJD wrote:wasnt there a story that one of his testicles was left swollen to the size of a melon...?
maybe that was a dream
A wet dream? Eeeeuuuwwwww. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hlebby's earlier post meant fleshlight of course. >snigger<