Commentators and pundits

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Commentators and pundits

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Some are good, some are bad

But Sue Smith is absolutely atrocious and is one annoying Scousers bint

northbank123

Re: Commentators and pundits

Post by northbank123 »

Struggle to think of many commentators/pundits that I like. I guess that most pundits will have pissed off a huge number of opposing fans due to club allegiances.

I personally reckon Dixon is a good pundit, and Neville has surprised me this year. Saying that, I don't know why I'm surprised that a player who has had two decades at the top has a fantastic reading and knowledge of the game, and his ability in front of the camera is as poor as expected.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Football wise I always liked Barry Davies and the great Brian Moore.

I cannot stand Clive Tyldesley, and Mark Lawrenson and Andy Townsend should have their tongues removed.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

officepest wrote:Football wise I always liked Barry Davies and the great Brian Moore.

I cannot stand Clive Tyldesley, and Mark Lawrenson and Andy Townsend should have their tongues removed.
Agree with that. Barry davies is very dry and doesn't take it or himself too seriously. Jonathon Pierce was better on the radio where that Oirish twat on 5Live has me reaching for the off switch.
Adrian Durham gives very balanced, measured, reasonable and intelligent opinions (if you're a cretin on crystalmeth and brain damaged).

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I do not mind Alan Green on 5Live, he can drum up interest in a dull game and speaks his mind.

Lee Dixon is very good, gives a measured tactical view and can speak from experience.

Previously very cautious Alan Shearer is improving.

Alan Hansen is very much a Liverpool man, but he knows what he is talking about on defence.

Souness is very good, speaks his mind and does background research.

Jonathan Pearce gets a bit over excited but knows his stuff.

Motson does his homework, genuine football man.

officepest

Post by officepest »

Concur with the shouts for Dixon (shock!) but find the MOTD bunch to be a bunch of mates that'd rather be playing golf than imparting anything useful from their careers as, y'know, footballers.

Shame, as Hansen used to be genuinely insightful.

Alan Green swings from entertaining to moronic via outraged badger-baiter depending on his mood.

John Motson I really used to like but I feel is probably past his best and tries a little too hard.

Shearer for me is one of the worst, offers zero insight of any note.

Some of my criticisms are probably due to the pundits being mandated to 'dumb it down' but I'd like to see us (Joe Pub) treated with a modicum of intelligence.

Forgot James Richardson - class act.

the moog

Post by the moog »

commentators on itv are shocking, ALL pundits are not worth a j arthur and i refuse to listen to their crap.

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

I stumbled across Barry Davies commentating on the hockey last night, and it was quite nostalgic listening to him commentating on a summer tournament ; It could easily have been Mexico '86 or Italia '90, his voice doesn't seem to have changed at all.

However, I have to disagree with the comment above about him not taking himself too seriously ; I think he was the worst of all, especially when it came to pronouncing players names.

Examples: Soslkjaer was pronounced just that by everybody for years, until some Norwegian told BD is was actually prnounced Sol-shy-ra, and he used that in his commentaries from then on.

He did the same with Paulo Wanchope ; The guy had been playing here for six months, and then Davies goes all detective and talks to some Costa Ricans, who tell him it is prononced 'Wanchop-ay', cue his smarmy 'I'm cleverer than you' type commentary, complete with new pronunciation flourish.

8)

Aaron86

Post by Aaron86 »

Lawro always sounds like he's on suicide watch.

Townsend and southgate wind me up not a champions league cap between them and yet they are giving their views on champions league fixtures...brilliant.

I actually don't mind Gary Neville he was annoying at first but isn't as biased as I thought he would be and talks a bit of sense.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Can't stand Neville, especially when he tried to justify Young's dive by saying that diving isn't cheating.

augie

Post by augie »

I rate souness and Gerry armstrong as 2 pundits who know what they are talking about and don't spout bullshit just for the sake of it

officepest

Post by officepest »

Good grief -I've just seen Garth Crooks on BBC, how did I forget about this terrible, awful, dreadful pundit?

It's a double whammy with Mark Lawrenson, why does my license fee help line the pockets of these chumps? Surely there should be some pro-rata payment system where I can stipulate non-contribution for these morons?

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I grew up with Motty and Davies in the 70s and so still love it when they cover games although I fear that Davies is losing his marbles a little. Of the new lot Pearce is probably the most knowledgeable and as has been said, ITV are just crap at footie coverage although Jim Beglin isn't bad as a summariser.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Davies us my favourite by far.
Now really get annoyed by Motson's inane chuckle at his own shitty attempts at jokes and he always says " and I have to say" no you fucking don't have to .
Suprized our good friend Pervert Pleat hasn't had more of a mention talks absolute bollox.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:Davies us my favourite by far.
Now really get annoyed by Motson's inane chuckle at his own shitty attempts at jokes and he always says " and I have to say" no you fucking don't have to .
Suprized our good friend Pervert Pleat hasn't had more of a mention talks absolute bollox.

Too right- he had a lovely tone to his voice and was never afraid to let the action do the talking.
Motson is a total prick- a dinosaur who plays up to his stereotype and sex case Pleat- honestly what a total *word censored*. Commits a sex offence three times and still pollutes the air waves with his stuttering, pervy ways.

Martin Tyler is the best of the bad bunch today- he's old school and doesn't get caught up in the 'this is the greatest ever event' shit that most modern commentators do.