So it ends

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

So it ends

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Arsenal as a force in football. nothing else to say really.

xgtdec

Re: So it ends

Post by xgtdec »

supergeorgegraham wrote:Arsenal as a force in football. nothing else to say really.
You say that like it news hot off the press.....we've known this for the last 7 years!!!

supergeorgegraham

xgtdec wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:Arsenal as a force in football. nothing else to say really.
You say that like it news hot off the press.....we've known this for the last 7 years!!!
Yeah but I expected a huge comeback around 8 years on but now I feel its all over for the long term. Its just my thoughts but all the bad times I believed would be turned around in one dramatic year once the dept was in control. Now I know we are finished. Why remains my question to the board members.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

xgtdec wrote:
It's just that it takes a while to sink in, one year without a trophy is no problem , two years and you think next year we will sort it and so on until its eight years and you are clinging to memories and nothing else.
It's official now, we are also-rans, yesterday's team with sadly yesterday's manager still at the helm

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

We are the same as the Bin-Dippers in terms of a once proud and successful club.

Game over until wholesale changes are made throughout the entire club.

This won't happen until we as fans start to drift away and the financial situation changes drastically enough for the board to notice they aren't making the vast sums they do at the moment.

Long and dark times ahead imo.

Post by 1989 »

We've made the LEAST number of signings in the PL. :roll:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

1989 wrote:We've made the LEAST number of signings in the PL. :roll:
That's because there just aren't many "super quality" players in the market :banghead:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Barriecuda on Aug 18 2012 wrote:I think the whole Song ideal [sic] provides the perfect litmus test to see what Arsenal really is all about.

My theory is this:

-We pocket the money from the Song deal, balancing our net spending from the OG/LP/SC deals = AFC is officially nothing more than a profit driven business

-We spend about 15m on one defensive midfielder of similar quality = we are committed to self-sustaining finances

-We spend more than 15m on two quality midfield signings of similar quality or promise = AFC is legitimately trying to compete for trophies.

I predict we will spend 8-10m on a loan for Sahin, which is a stopgap solution as far as I'm concerned. Then after he goes we say "Oh but we have Diaby and Ramsey and Wilshere there".
:(

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

We will be there when we are mighty again.
This nightmare will end, mark my words.
:barscarf:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Top Londoner wrote:
The deluded Liverpool fans think they will be mighty again.We have been overtaken by too many clubs to ever get back.10 years ago City and Chelsea werent around.Arsenal have turned into Liverpool.Its 22 years since they won the league.They like us will be playing for 4th forever more.When a club makes profits without winning anything tells you what our club has become

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

donaldo wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:
The deluded Liverpool fans think they will be mighty again.We have been overtaken by too many clubs to ever get back.10 years ago City and Chelsea werent around.Arsenal have turned into Liverpool.Its 22 years since they won the league.They like us will be playing for 4th forever more.Thanks Arsene and Stan

Yes, but if we can just grab fourth spot on the last day of the season, we can kid ourselves, can't we?

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

We'll get back to glory eventually. I don't think we'll pull a Liverpool. We have a pretty healthy financial situation that will take us into the long-term, unlike Liverpool who are still playing in a smaller stadium with probably much lower revenues. Not to mention Liverpool set themselves back five years by hiring a manager, letting him spend 100m, then firing him and selling off half those players for pennies on the dollar (pence on the pound? I don't know how you Brits would say that). And as I've said before, if the Oil magnates get bored of playing with their shiny football club toys, those clubs will be in a world of hurt.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Barriecuda wrote:We'll get back to glory eventually. I don't think we'll pull a Liverpool. We have a pretty healthy financial situation that will take us into the long-term, unlike Liverpool who are still playing in a smaller stadium with probably much lower revenues. Not to mention Liverpool set themselves back five years by hiring a manager, letting him spend 100m, then firing him and selling off half those players for pennies on the dollar (pence on the pound? I don't know how you Brits would say that). And as I've said before, if the Oil magnates get bored of playing with their shiny football club toys, those clubs will be in a world of hurt.
How many times are we going to hear what if Abramovich gets bored?This year they won the CL and this summer they spent more than any other club.The only way we can compete is if Usmanov takes over and invests money like Roman.Until then we will never compete.My comparison with Liverpool was they wont win the title in the near future neither will we.Our aspirations at the start of every season now is to finish top 4.Wengers has as good as said that

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

We are not even Liverpool, they wouldn't sell their best players to United, we are Everton who are there to be picked off for our best players that we bring up by whoever wants them.

supergeorgegraham

You also have to ask the question why a manager would choose to stay at a club while he was taking all the blame for it going downhill. Just look at who Spurs got yesterday.
Dempsey was 6 Million !! Lloris was 8 Million and we all know what Seaman did for us and what Schmeikel did for United. These top top keepers are so rare. I see Chelsea or United after him in a season or 2.
Only Wenger knows the full story regarding the board and money but he must see what all this has done to the majority of fans and not the prawn sandwich ones.
In a pub talking to a United fan just how on earth could you defend Arsenal now. A few years ago both clubs hated each other but there was football respect. Respect in a way City and Chelsea will never know and have.