THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

Re: Arsene Wenger - For/Against/Indifferent?

Post by REB »

franksav63 wrote:
Some good comments on this for a change... especially the one from someone called Frank Graham at 12:14 on the 2nd page... :lol: :lol:
Ahh the old all will be rosey in the garden quote frank :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

REB wrote:
franksav63 wrote:
Some good comments on this for a change... especially the one from someone called Frank Graham at 12:14 on the 2nd page... :lol: :lol:
Ahh the old all will be rosey in the garden quote frank :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

Yes, that was a doff of my cap towards Flash, there's also a bit of SteveO in there with the ''Super Quality'' comment, it would be quite funny to write a comment on there with often used phrases from the majority of members off here!!! (but it wouldn't get published) :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

just thought id put this on here Henning Berg sacked as Blackburn today cos recent results were disappointing,sean o driscoll sacked yesterday as notts forest manager after beating leeds 4-2 putting them 1 pt off play-off places.Then theres us :rubchin:

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

mcdowell42 wrote:just thought id put this on here Henning Berg sacked as Blackburn today cos recent results were disappointing,sean o driscoll sacked yesterday as notts forest manager after beating leeds 4-2 putting them 1 pt off play-off places.Then theres us :rubchin:

If your saying that Blackburn are a better run club than Arsenal then id say your very much mistaken!

Tomáš

Post by Tomáš »

StuartL wrote:A good piss take of the night before xmas - wenger style. (nsfw or played in front of elderly relatives) :wink:
http://podcast.arseblog.com/arsecast/go ... rexmas.mp3

It would appear that Wenker is now as much a figure of scorn and piss taking as he used to be revered and loved, which is somewhat sad but understandable.
THAT is just super quality! Whoever came up with this should get a trophy ;-)!

Cheers,
Thomas

augie

Post by augie »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:just thought id put this on here Henning Berg sacked as Blackburn today cos recent results were disappointing,sean o driscoll sacked yesterday as notts forest manager after beating leeds 4-2 putting them 1 pt off play-off places.Then theres us :rubchin:

If your saying that Blackburn are a better run club than Arsenal then id say your very much mistaken!

I think mc is comparing ambitions of the two clubs rather than the actually running of them - surely all Gooners would agree that there is a shocking lack of proper ambition in our club these days ? :cry: :cry: :evil:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:
Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:

I think mc is comparing ambitions of the two clubs rather than the actually running of them - surely all Gooners would agree that there is a shocking lack of proper ambition in our club these days ? :cry: :cry: :evil:

Spot on augie i apologise tht i didnt expand on tht,but was heading out and didnt have time.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

An old bloke at half-time was stood in the toilets pissed out of his mind just mumbling in an accusatory tone to anybody that would listen "what do you think of Arsene Wenger?" and then slurring sarcastic statements about how nobody could possibly challenge Lord Wenger and how not one person in that toilet could possibly have a bad word to say about him.

Funny as fuck to watch but I imagine this is how ardent AKBs portray anybody who could possibly want Wenger out.

FrenchGun

In defense of Wenger

Post by FrenchGun »

I know the risks I take with this headline, especially over here. First of all, let me say that this is in no way a wind up, neither it is another akb vs realists clash. I don't express myself very often, but some might know that I share the opinion of many realists on here. Wenger has faulted in more than many ways, professionally with his purchases, his substitutions and the list could go on. He also faulted as a man, becoming so full of himself, acting more and more smug, and disrespecting the fans taking them for mugs.

Now you must ask yourself "how is this defending wenger"? Well. I was talking the other night with some mates about footy, and the usual subject of how globaly, football got way out of hand. Of course I couldn't help and make some analogies with the club of my heart and it's alienated coach.

Is Wenger really that wrong? Doesn't he know? Really? Look at how the situation got totally out of hand. Before the City's, the chelsea's, the Inter's, probably even before the galacticos of Madrid. Everyone generally agreed that footballer were already on very good if not too much salaries. SInce then, what happened? Transfers today are ludicrous. Salaries are a joke. And all of this keeps inflating big speed, regardless of any economical crisis or whatsoever. I mean, knowing that today, big money and media coverage gives you a big influence and thus power... We're basically giving more and more power to a population called "professionnal footballers" who by consensus has the general IQ level of a nutshell...

We all know it, and we all watch powerlessly, to the point we ignore it most of the time. We watch it climb because we probably don't have the power to do anything. Well Wenger has. He's at the top of one of the most respected club in Europe, he has contacts with very influencial people in football, he's himself pretty influencial. And what does he do? Well to me it seems he's doing the right thing. He's trying to put a stop to this madness. By refusing to pay astronomical salaries to players, by refusing to pay insane tranfer fees for players, by officially supporting the FFP and inviting Platini to instore it. Isn't he doing the right thing?

I know what will be said, and I agree. The first example that comes to my mind is "Letting go Rvp to a rival", "Still being on a 7 Millions euros salary himself", "Gervinho 12mil, Michu 3Mil"... and the list could go on. I agree that in the end, Wenger has faulted too many times and he's not all white. He should be gone. But there's a french saying that I think applies in english "hell is paved with good intentions". I think that in the end, Wenger still deserves a bit more respect than he sometimes has on here. He's one of the last defenders of sanity of what is originally just a sport.

Again, this is not a dig at anyone. I just think that it's come to the point where the man is already shooting himself in the leg at the start of every season. Now the media are slowly turning against him, the scoresheets are turning against him, his own players are turning against him one after the other. Maybe it's time for us fans to stop abusing the man and remain silent in his falldown which is coming closer and closer each time Gervinho or Ramsey steps on the pitch. He deserves better than this and I believe that the Arsenal fans are also better than this.

TeeCee

Re: Arsene Wenger - For him or against him?

Post by TeeCee »

Wenger is at it again.....' I'm certain Walcott will stay', 'he loves the club' .............EXACTLY the same things he he said about Cesc, Nasri and Van Persie. Stop lying you old muppet!!!!!! :banghead: :cussing:

augie

Post by augie »

FrenchGun it is all well and good complaining about the way football finances have gotten out of hand but the game has moved on and if anything your post has pointed out that wenger is an outdated relic in the modern football world :oops: :evil: Your post fails to address his absolute lack of tactical nous and his total lack of ability to see when things are not working and make changes and these are not things that can be blamed on finances.

You are right though that one of the first things that come to my mind whilst reading your post is that wenger has no objections trousering a huge 2012 wage and therein lies the hypocrisy of the man. Wenger implimented a system where there was fcuk all of a gap between the top earning players and the squad players in the belief that it would create a unified squad and all players being equal...does anybody believe that he applied the same school of thought to the wages of himself and his coaches ? If a man feels that players are overpaid then how can he then pay unproven players (like ramsey,walnut etc) more than our rivals would be willing to do ? Could it possibly be because he is using that very same evil that he constantly refers to (money) as an inticement ? I also feel that it is very hypocritical for him to slate the system when he uses that very system to develop quality players and then sell them for overinflated fee's :roll:

At the end of the day there are a shit load of hypocrisies in wengerworld but it does not change the fact that the old c**t has to go before we slip any further

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

TeeCee wrote:Wenger is at it again.....' I'm certain Walcott will stay', 'he loves the club' .............EXACTLY the same things he he said about Cesc, Nasri and Van Persie. Stop lying you old muppet!!!!!! :banghead: :cussing:

He really is an arsole :oops: lies lies and more lies :banghead: with lashings of embarrassment thrown in :oops: it got to the stage long ago that i wanted him gone :cry: if he comes on tv i hit the mute button or just turn over.

I Hate Hleb

Re: In defense of Wenger

Post by I Hate Hleb »

FrenchGun wrote:....... But there's a french saying that I think applies in english "hell is paved with good intentions"....
Indeed. It's the equivalent of 'Be careful what you wish for' - an excuse for not changing for fear of making things worse. :roll:

kite

Re: In defense of Wenger

Post by kite »

FrenchGun wrote: Everyone generally agreed that footballer were already on very good if not too much salaries. SInce then, what happened? Transfers today are ludicrous. Salaries are a joke. And all of this keeps inflating big speed, regardless of any economical crisis or whatsoever. I mean, knowing that today, big money and media coverage gives you a big influence and thus power... We're basically giving more and more power to a population called "professionnal footballers" who by consensus has the general IQ level of a nutshell...
They earn that much money because they are the very best (there are hundreds of million people who play football) in the business and they generate that money.
In our system they deserve that much money (well some at least..) because like I said they generate it.
If you don't like that system I don't have a problem as I'm not very happy with it, too.
But if you think that for example some manager or artist deserves to earn 5m a year while a professional football player doesn't, I don't agree.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

French Gun I know you acknowledge his salary but it's a huge hypocrisy. The generally accepted figure for his salary is £7.5m (and certainly not less than £7m), which works out at about £140,000 a week so who on earth is he to baulk at the figures demanded by players?

At the end of the day if you're not willing to pay players big money you ain't going to win shit. Wenger can't pretend to be a one-man crusade against modern football when our wage bill is now up towards £150m a year with no return on that. Bear in mind the wages we paid Sol Campbell to join back in 2001, and also the bonuses given to Henry (amongst others) after that.

What do you find more morally offensive and what is 'crazier'? World class players earning £150,000 and upwards or players like Bendtner, Djourou and Denilson (who are lucky to carve out a career as a professional footballer at any level) earning £50,000?