Newcastle and London Travel and pub advice needed.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ArsenalSooner

Re: Newcastle and London Travel and pub advice needed.

Post by ArsenalSooner »

northbank123 wrote:
ArsenalSooner wrote:
cardinal2011 wrote:If you are going to the Newcastle game then make sure that you stay for the Saturday night. It is a cracking night out up there and you won't believe what those Geordie lasses are like :shock:

It will be a cultural experience for you to remember for many years :lol:
Haha we actually are staying up there that night. My mate is dragging me to Nottingham the next day. Obviously I've picked the the hottest spots in the world to visit :lol:
:| :|

Interesting choice of location. Newcastle is well worth doing imo, it's a great laugh and cheap as fuck so if you're up for getting hammered and a bit of a laugh then give it a go. Nottingham has a few places to visit and it's a decent night but certainly wouldn't jump out at me as one of the must visit places.
My mates family are forest fans so we're going to see forest play leeds. Should be a fun day out and might as well see as much football as possible while I'm over!

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

make sure you get a pint in the Trip to Jerusalem, built into the walls of the cliff its Englands oldest pub - since 1189AD.

Nottingham is a Student town - tons of game totty for you to enjoy.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

ArsenalSooner wrote:I don't suppose I have any other options for transport on Christmas day? Do I need to book a taxi ahead of time or will there be taxi service at heathrow already?
747 coach might be running - to Victoria.

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

ArsenalSooner wrote:I don't suppose I have any other options for transport on Christmas day? Do I need to book a taxi ahead of time or will there be taxi service at heathrow already?
There are always black taxi's available at the airport but as mentioned above it will be costly. ..you wont need to book advance...

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

ArsenalSooner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
ArsenalSooner wrote:
cardinal2011 wrote:If you are going to the Newcastle game then make sure that you stay for the Saturday night. It is a cracking night out up there and you won't believe what those Geordie lasses are like :shock:

It will be a cultural experience for you to remember for many years :lol:
Haha we actually are staying up there that night. My mate is dragging me to Nottingham the next day. Obviously I've picked the the hottest spots in the world to visit :lol:
:| :|

Interesting choice of location. Newcastle is well worth doing imo, it's a great laugh and cheap as fuck so if you're up for getting hammered and a bit of a laugh then give it a go. Nottingham has a few places to visit and it's a decent night but certainly wouldn't jump out at me as one of the must visit places.
My mates family are forest fans so we're going to see forest play leeds. Should be a fun day out and might as well see as much football as possible while I'm over!
Ahh right. As Clockender said go for a pint in Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem and the Christmas Market will also be up in Market Square at that time which is quite nice if the weather's okay (even nicer with a bit of snow although this would then make the other 99.5% of your trip a massive pain in the arse!)

ArsenalSooner

Post by ArsenalSooner »

clockender1 wrote:make sure you get a pint in the Trip to Jerusalem, built into the walls of the cliff its Englands oldest pub - since 1189AD.

Will try and visit there! Cheers for all the help boys! Much appreciated!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

ArsenalSooner wrote:
clockender1 wrote:make sure you get a pint in the Trip to Jerusalem, built into the walls of the cliff its Englands oldest pub - since 1189AD.

Will try and visit there! Cheers for all the help boys! Much appreciated!
Nottingham supposedly has the highest number of restaurants per square mile in the UK :shock: not that that means the best mind but loads of diversity! If you're looking to get some food or go boozing in the city centre give me a DM with the sort of thing you're looking for and I'll give you some info on where will probably be best.

The castle grounds itself are ok (and can't wait for the annual Beer Festival there in a fortnight :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: ) but sadly the actual castle itself was burned down after the Civil War because it was too difficult to seize once somebody took control of it.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I've lived in Nottingham for a few years now but the nightlife has gone downhill and it's now virtually identical to any other piss up in the UK - way overhyped now I'm afraid.

The sqaure mile still has a few decent places but avoid the pubs on Parliament street (all rubbish) and stay out of the estates on pain of swivel-eyed locals giving you a shoeing on account of your ability to construct a sentence and your lack of head to toe sportswear.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I wrote this on page one of the thread:

Taxi from Heathrow on Christmas Day, will not be cheap but traditionally no trains run that day.
There may be a special bus service to central London, but why not book a mini cab in advance, cheaper than a Black cab?
Recommend getting quotes off these two established companies.

http://www.addisonlee.com/

http://www.fairwaycars.co.uk/

Daycat

Post by Daycat »

Anybody know when there likely to announce the December tv fixture list as have to book flights and hotel for Newcastle. Thanks

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Daycat wrote:Anybody know when there likely to announce the December tv fixture list as have to book flights and hotel for Newcastle. Thanks
Should be this Friday at the latest (8 weeks before the first December fixture not moved yet). I was expecting it to be yesterday since the last two years it's been the first Friday of October but I guess Sky and BT are taking the max time they're allowed.

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Ziegler1988 wrote:
Daycat wrote:Anybody know when there likely to announce the December tv fixture list as have to book flights and hotel for Newcastle. Thanks
Should be this Friday at the latest (8 weeks before the first December fixture not moved yet). I was expecting it to be yesterday since the last two years it's been the first Friday of October but I guess Sky and BT are taking the max time they're allowed.
Arsenal v Everton
Sunday 8th December 2013 (originally Saturday 7th December)
Kick off: 4.00pm
Live on: SKY SPORTS

Manchester City v Arsenal
Saturday 14th December 2013
Kick off: 12.45pm (originally 3.00pm)
Live on: BT SPORT

Arsenal v Chelsea
Monday 23rd December 2013 (originally Saturday 21st December)
Kick off: 8.00pm

West Ham United v Arsenal
Thursday 26th December 2013
Kick off: 3.00pm
Now live on: BT SPORT

Newcastle United v Arsenal
Sunday 29th December 2013 (originally Saturday 28th December)
Kick off: 1.30pm

wibble

Post by wibble »

I know xmas period is always hectic but three games Monday, Thursday, Sunday seems bit silly.

having said that they are professional athletes but knowing us half the team will (still) be injured so could be tough.

Think a lot of the players will be a leetle bit tired by sunday game and could end up playing with the handbrake on

dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

wibble wrote:I know xmas period is always hectic but three games Monday, Thursday, Sunday seems bit silly.
couldnt agree more, seems like a bit of a dicking! but with past history the thursday game will be postponed if the tube drivers strike :fingers crossed: