Napoli at home

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mr Eboue

Re: Napoli at home

Post by Mr Eboue »

Cracking performance from the boys tonight.

I was sat in the second row North Bank behind the goal and the atmosphere was brilliant. Massive credit to the bloke in the grey shirt getting everyone chanting "we're the east stand" reminded of old highbury times (obviously the North Bank was louder) :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: Shame the west stand didn't get involved (but did they ever?)

Alas, there was A bit of "one arsene wenger" going around, but if we can keep up the performances and the fans can keep up the atmosphere I suppose that's something I can put up with.

COYG!!!! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

That first goal was class from start to finish.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

First half (first 30 mins in particular) was exactly how we used to play. Swarming all over teams, quick, incisive, pass and move football that teams can't cope with, game done inside 20 mins. Just like the old days, was great to see.

That was the days before we adopted this dull, sideways, keep the ball at all costs, pedestrian approach. Can we not return to that style please.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

King Henry wrote:
gavbacon wrote:As good as Giroud has been this year, unfortunately, he's just not good enough. I like him, I really do, but, he's too slow, he's not technical enough and, with regret, he won't ever be that player to win us the game unless its served on a plate.

He may be scoring goals, but how many chances, half-chances and opportunities to put someone else through does he miss?!!

I'm happy with Giroud in the squad, but he's certainly shouldn't be our main striker.
Think that's very unfair on Giroud. I'd rather have him in the team than maybe another striker with more ability but doesn't work as hard. Giroud goes for every header, holds up the ball, creates and scores. He's not world class but I think with him in the team it allows the others such as Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla to play better.

On top of that he's a great asset to have at corners and set pieces both offensively and defensively, as this is one area that has been a big weakness for us over the years. .
spot on.

i think that Giroud if not on the way to being an elite striker is certainly proving he's a very very good one in the Alan Smith mode, smudger was a fantastic focal point for the team in tough games and a great strike partner for lineker, campbell and wrighty.

I'd rather have Giroud than that fat granny shagger up in Salford any day.

Merse and Freddy weren't elite strikers but still won us titles.

Justin-AFC

Post by Justin-AFC »

Our biggest test and we made it look easy. I haven't been this optimistic since The Grove opened. Just hope we keep this going.

What makes it all the more impressive is we played this well against a good Napoli team (that we made look poor) without Cazorla, Walcott, Ox, Diaby (whats new) and Jack didn't even start.

We need to keep Giroud and Ozil fit however.

Post by 1989 »

clockender1 wrote:
King Henry wrote:
gavbacon wrote:As good as Giroud has been this year, unfortunately, he's just not good enough. I like him, I really do, but, he's too slow, he's not technical enough and, with regret, he won't ever be that player to win us the game unless its served on a plate.

He may be scoring goals, but how many chances, half-chances and opportunities to put someone else through does he miss?!!

I'm happy with Giroud in the squad, but he's certainly shouldn't be our main striker.
Think that's very unfair on Giroud. I'd rather have him in the team than maybe another striker with more ability but doesn't work as hard. Giroud goes for every header, holds up the ball, creates and scores. He's not world class but I think with him in the team it allows the others such as Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla to play better.

On top of that he's a great asset to have at corners and set pieces both offensively and defensively, as this is one area that has been a big weakness for us over the years. .
spot on.

i think that Giroud if not on the way to being an elite striker is certainly proving he's a very very good one in the Alan Smith mode, smudger was a fantastic focal point for the team in tough games and a great strike partner for lineker, campbell and wrighty.

I'd rather have Giroud than that fat granny shagger up in Salford any day.

Merse and Freddy weren't elite strikers but still won us titles.
Giroud as Smudger and Suarez as Wrighty in January. :barscarf: :barscarf:

ArsenalSooner

Post by ArsenalSooner »

Absolutely loved hearing the "we're the north bank highbury, clock end highbury" chant on TV. More of that please! One of my favorites. The crowd was fantastic. Easy night to be supportive I suppose, but we're on a roll!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:First half (first 30 mins in particular) was exactly how we used to play. Swarming all over teams, quick, incisive, pass and move football that teams can't cope with, game done inside 20 mins. Just like the old days, was great to see.

That was the days before we adopted this dull, sideways, keep the ball at all costs, pedestrian approach. Can we not return to that style please.
I agree - it's always been assumed that in the last few years when we have been playing well we've been playing a beautiful brand of football like we used to, but I don't think that's generally been true. But for 20 minutes in the second half against Swansea and for the first 30-40 mins yesterday we moved the ball at such pace and the movement off the ball and patterns of play were a throwback.

Post by 1989 »

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I don't care how many fucking superstars they have, why would Madrid let Ozil go? Absolute madness.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I don't care how many fucking superstars they have, why would Madrid let Ozil go? Absolute madness.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:Giroud's hold up play was immense tonight. No matter the quality of the ball up to him he killed it dead, held off the defenders and laid it off to a team mate EVERY time. Superb performance. If only we'd have bought a world class finisher in the summer to compliment him. Ah well.....

Ozil's goal made me do a sex piss in my undies, that hadn't happened since the days of Henry, Pires and Bergkamp :barscarf:
Agreed 100%. He was absolutely brilliant. Probably his best all round display since joining. Won absolutely everything in the air, held up superbly, laid the ball off effectively, hussled and scrapped when needed and moved and finished sublimely for his goal. Sure, he's not an elite striker and probably never will be but he is a good striker. But we have to make a decision on how we play him. If we persist with 4-5-1 then we need better crossers than Gibbs and Sagna. My preference is we play him as part of the 2 in a 4-4-2 with someone that could benefit from his winning the ball and laying it off in and around the box, either Podolski or an elite striker like Suarez.

Overall a great win. Ozil demonstrated what you get when you spend the money on world class. What a finish. No panic, no attempt to smash it, just let the ball's pace do the work, pick the spot and place it superbly. Bergkamp-esque finish. And a brilliant bit of work in the build up from Giroud and Rambo, particularly Rambo looking up and zipping the ball at him low, rather than doing what Gibbs or Sagna would have done which is basically try and lift it blindly into the general area of the box but catch the first defender in the leg.

Arteta and Rosicky were a bit ropey but that's to be expected and they will tighten up as they get match fit again. Flamoney worked hard but again I'm worried about his increasingly rash challenges, one in particular out by the touchline was well dodgy, went to ground when there was no need. He has added steel to us but I really fear he will cost us at some stage.

A great win. Now if Arsene would only swallow his ego and add 2 or 3 more world class players in January or next summer even we have the guts of a really great side here.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

1989 wrote:Image

Brilliant gifs. Will be watching them over and over today. 8) 8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:I don't care how many fucking superstars they have, why would Madrid let Ozil go? Absolute madness.
They didn't have a choice mate - Ozil heard about Flamini shielding the back four and that was it - deal done.

:lol: :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

What a first thirty minutes, everything was perfect, passing , running, use of the ball to create chances rather than keep possession and the work rate. The work rate to break up any Napoli attacks and suck the life out of them was a joy to watch. The second half didn't live up to it's predecessor but in many ways that was as good as scoring a hat full.. would have loved more goals but not giving Napoli a sniff of hope showed a maturity that isn't always there.
Favourite moment..a minute or so after Ozil's goal the camera went back to him and he was still smiling..
Four different German scorers in four consecutive games..and all done without Pod... :D