Transfer flops of the season so far

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Swifty

Re: Transfer flops of the season so far

Post by Swifty »

topgoon wrote:
Midz wrote:Sanogo
You need to play to get the opportunity to be a flop :roll:
Value for money he's probably one of our best value buys after 140 mins..........

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

The often quoted stat is that Ozil had the most assists in Europe last season.Now lets look behind the facts he was playing under Mourinho not Clueless.He was playing alongside DiMaria Benzama Higuain and of course world player of the year.So there you have it.He was playing under a miles better manager surrounded by miles better players.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

donaldo wrote:The often quoted stat is that Ozil had the most assists in Europe last season.Now lets look behind the facts he was playing under Mourinho not Clueless.He was playing alongside DiMaria Benzama Higuain and of course world player of the year.So there you have it.He was playing under a miles better manager surrounded by miles better players.
I agree to a certain extent. I've always maintained the best players play better with other better players. The difference we saw in DB10 from playing with Selley, Hillier, McGolderick, Jensen, Helder and then when we added Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Freddie and Henry was incredible. We could all see that DB10 was class all along but then he started delivering on that class week in week out.

Ozil with 2 or 3 other world class players around him (and an informed pragmatic manager) would be a different player.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
donaldo wrote:The often quoted stat is that Ozil had the most assists in Europe last season.Now lets look behind the facts he was playing under Mourinho not Clueless.He was playing alongside DiMaria Benzama Higuain and of course world player of the year.So there you have it.He was playing under a miles better manager surrounded by miles better players.
I agree to a certain extent. I've always maintained the best players play better with other better players. The difference we saw in DB10 from playing with Selley, Hillier, McGolderick, Jensen, Helder and then when we added Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Freddie and Henry was incredible. We could all see that DB10 was class all along but then he started delivering on that class week in week out.

Ozil with 2 or 3 other world class players around him (and an informed pragmatic manager) would be a different player.
Thing is we have his top quality German team mate, in Pod, but Wenker won't play him. There lies the problem, WENKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

I think a player who gets little playing time can't really be fairly called a flop, unless their lack of playing time is a result of lack of quality. So, I'd take Lamela and Jovetic and lower them on the list.

Ozil hasn't been 42m of value but he's improved the team around him and has great potential. He was brought in on a long-term contract and so he has lots of time to get there. Plus the team is up challenging for the title, regardless of his stats he's definitely been part of the catalyst for the team's improvements in 13-14.

My #1 transfer flop is Soldado (lol @ Sp*rs). They spent huge money for a CF to lead the line, then ended up going back to players they had the whole time (i.e Adebayor). Plus even when he plays he's terrible, only worth converting penalties. The flop is further compounded by all their other wasted money this summer - what a shit organization that place is.