Bradford.FC fire (Hillsborough Comparison)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
remigardeshair

Re: Bradford.FC fire (Hillsborough Comparison)

Post by remigardeshair »

Liverpool fans would probably claim an FA / Police conspiracy because they wouldnt be able to have the same gesture unless there was 6 minutes injury time.

Cue a campaign to have matches extended to 100 minutes.

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

Further to my earlier post. I hope the BSM won't mind me posting this in an effort to spread the word.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RoscommonGooner wrote:Further to my earlier post. I hope the BSM won't mind me posting this in an effort to spread the word.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind. But if they do we can take it down.

I wonder should they run this by Bradford fans though. Would hate if we were to step on their toes if they prefer to keep it local and low key.

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
RoscommonGooner wrote:Further to my earlier post. I hope the BSM won't mind me posting this in an effort to spread the word.

I wonder should they run this by Bradford fans though. Would hate if we were to step on their toes if they prefer to keep it local and low key.
Agreed. Its a well intentioned and sincere thought but it might not be what the people of Bradford want so I think they should be asked.

friendly bantam

Post by friendly bantam »

Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Agreed. Its a well intentioned and sincere thought but it might not be what the people of Bradford want so I think they should be asked.
I'm under no circumstances am I claiming to speak for the entire of Bradford, but personally where people and fans go out of their way to pay genuine respect without being told they must I cannot see any Bradford fan being against this.

if anyone saw the derby v Brighton playoff final that was a lovely touch by both clubs and fans involved. A similar scene at wembley would be an amazing sight and I'm sure well received

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

friendly bantam wrote:
Clash wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm under no circumstances am I claiming to speak for the entire of Bradford, but personally where people and fans go out of their way to pay genuine respect without being told they must I cannot see any Bradford fan being against this.

if anyone saw the derby v Brighton playoff final that was a lovely touch by both clubs and fans involved. A similar scene at wembley would be an amazing sight and I'm sure well received
Posted my opinion in Claret and Banter, but I would hope no one minds, I myself will gladly be standing on the 56th minute to show my respect.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

This has certainly spread, I know a few Arsenal pubs here in Canada are doing a 56th minute stand & applause. Glad to see these souls getting some remembrance too.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

This was a bit of a mess really. A minority of people started clapping, and although more people joined in most obviously had no idea what it was for and presumed we were just getting behind the team.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:This was a bit of a mess really. A minority of people started clapping, and although more people joined in most obviously had no idea what it was for and presumed we were just getting behind the team.

Maybe in certain parts of the ground, but where I was it was quite intentionally done as a mark of respect. DId the tv / commentators mention it at all ?

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

StuartL wrote:
northbank123 wrote:This was a bit of a mess really. A minority of people started clapping, and although more people joined in most obviously had no idea what it was for and presumed we were just getting behind the team.

Maybe in certain parts of the ground, but where I was it was quite intentionally done as a mark of respect. DId the tv / commentators mention it at all ?
they did. itv panned to the fans at 2-1 down and the gooners were giving it a good bit of respect, loads of applause :D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

they did. itv panned to the fans at 2-1 down and the gooners were giving it a good bit of respect, loads of applause :D
Maybe it was just where I was then but in our block I would say about 10% of people started clapping and then half the others eventually joined in but obviously had no idea.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

northbank123 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Maybe it was just where I was then but in our block I would say about 10% of people started clapping and then half the others eventually joined in but obviously had no idea.
We were in block 132, and I'd say most people were clapping and knew why. Thought it came across well on the TV, although it looked as if it took some time for the message to spread down the side of the ground...

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

MK Gould wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
StuartL wrote:

We were in block 132, and I'd say most people were clapping and knew why. Thought it came across well on the TV, although it looked as if it took some time for the message to spread down the side of the ground...
It wasn't until i got home and watched the game again that i understood why all supporters were on their feet applauding when nothing much was happening. It was a nice touch, shame the papers didn't mention it on friday or saturday before the game.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

StuartL wrote:

BT Sport certainly didn't mention it although the cameras were picking it up at the time.. just as well I suppose the way Warnock was carrying on , probably would have been cynical about that too.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Bradywasking wrote:
StuartL wrote:

BT Sport certainly didn't mention it although the cameras were picking it up at the time.. just as well I suppose the way Warnock was carrying on , probably would have been cynical about that too.
It got a mention on ITV, who went on to mention that both sets of fans had been asked by Bradford to mark the 56th minute with a mintues applause, which of course is entirely inaccurate.