Jack Wilshere

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: Jack Wilshere: Over-Rated?

Post by northbank123 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Big deal, he had a fag but he really could do without this now.

His place is under threat and could do without the negative publicity.

He should be keeping his head down, silly boy.
Precisely. Such a trivial act - you can argue it underlines his lack of focus/commitment but more likely it's just a stupid quick fag when he's pissed on holiday with his chav mates. But it's just so absolutely brainless because he was obviously going to get caned about it and it's the last thing he needs right now.

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

northbank123 wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:Big deal, he had a fag but he really could do without this now.

Precisely. Such a trivial act - you can argue it underlines his lack of focus/commitment but more likely it's just a stupid quick fag when he's pissed on holiday with his chav mates. But it's just so absolutely brainless because he was obviously going to get caned about it and it's the last thing he needs right now.
But it does call into question his professionalism and integrity... especially since he got a slapped wrist last time.
I think talented but fucking thick sums Jack up.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

He was having a sneaky fag on holiday. Bet he's not the only one. His mistake was he's a dumbass for doing it in a public forum where he might be seen.

My only problem will be if he starts the season unfit

brucegrove

Post by brucegrove »

Bit of a storm in a teacup..many top class pros- from John Robertson to Mancini via Cruyff and around Rooney - have all smoked. Didn't all International Italian players in the 80s smoke? Frankly i'd be more concerned when a player puts on weight (Arshavin, Hamlet) which inhibits their short term contribution rather than someone who might contract cancer long after their careers finished..up to them. Or ends up in court after drunken night out altercations. By the way, what exactly can Wenger do about a player smoking? Aside from a stern schoolmasterly lecture

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

northbank123 wrote:

Do you two think that the only two times he's had a fag a camera happened to be there, or is it possible that a young athlete smokes? He wouldn't be the first, but in the modern game we need athletes. Any and every cigarette reduces his lung capacity. He's a fucking idiot who needs a spell in the reserves.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

Jack hasn't progressed, he's gotten worse. He dribbles constantly and goes down far too easily. He needs to get a little quicker and improve.

Pierre32

Post by Pierre32 »

SELL HIM NOW!

NUFF SAID !

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

GranadaJoe wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Do you two think that the only two times he's had a fag a camera happened to be there, or is it possible that a young athlete smokes? He wouldn't be the first, but in the modern game we need athletes. Any and every cigarette reduces his lung capacity. He's a fucking idiot who needs a spell in the reserves.

I honestly think he is an adult and if he choses to smoke than so be it, its his career in his hands and if he goes down that route than he runs the risk of ending up like his mate Frimpong, I don't think the manager shoukd dictate how he is to live, off course his his performances drop than that is when the manager has a right to make an example of him but he's on holiday and having a 3 week break from football.

augie

Post by augie »

Not a big fan of smoking at all but I do think that some of the reaction is a bit ott - personally I would be a lot more concerned if he was on the piss or using some of hlebby's "herbal" pleasures :lol:

Post by 1989 »

Wilshere is just a chav.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

[quote="Pierre32"]SELL HIM NOW!

NUFF SAID ![/quote

Why or is this just another tabloid/twitteresque overreaction.

Nuff said,...... nowt constructive to say more like

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

If there was even the slightest hint of him being up for sale then United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea would all be queuing at our door... That should give us a bit of a clue about whether he is worth being patient with. Ok, so he has gone through a bad patch of form and injury - but never as low as Ramsey, and look what happened to him last season!

I'd prefer that he didn't smoke, but there have been plenty of gooner legends who have done far worse :shock: !

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Ah, I wondered what the fuss was about but now it's obvious in the photo - he and his mate are sitting and letting those lovely ladies stand - no class! Plus those sunglasses! Merd!

Herd

Post by Herd »

He has still to realise his potential but he has had some shocking injuries .
The problem for me is his whole attitude and approach stinks .
He struts around the field like a petulant prick,his reading of the game is very poor and he gets sucked into petty squabbles with opponents rather than concentrating on beating them .
I hope he will mature but I fear he will not !
I know the man who brought him to the club who disagrees with me , he tells me he is a very good lad and the Public image doesn't reflect the fact he is a decent lad ........I hope he is right as I really do want to see him shine !

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

MK Gould wrote:If there was even the slightest hint of him being up for sale then United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea would all be queuing at our door... That should give us a bit of a clue about whether he is worth being patient with. Ok, so he has gone through a bad patch of form and injury - but never as low as Ramsey, and look what happened to him last season!

I'd prefer that he didn't smoke, but there have been plenty of gooner legends who have done far worse :shock: !
What kind of player does Wilshere want to be? At the moment I guess he's like a really poor mans Iniesta. None of the teams you mention bar Liverpool (maybe) would be interested in him. It's not like Wenger is being perverse in denying him a starting position - he clearly isn't good enough. At the moment the debate isn't whether or not he's good enough for the first team - he clearly isn't. It's whether he's good enough for the squad.

As for the smoking issue - smoking is not a part of an elite modern footballer lifestyle. End of. If he thinks its ok to have a few crafty packs over a season (NOBODY smokes just one or two a year when the media happens to be there) that's up to him. But don't expect AW or Arsenal to support it. His actions basically say "I do not want to be an elite level player/ to succeed at Arsenal you do to need to be 100% committed and focused"