Frimpong has been released by Barnsley

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Frimpong has been released by Barnsley

Post by OneBardGooner »

essem wrote:Frimpong never thought he had made it, he was well aware of his place in the pecking order and that at some point in the future he would most likely be playing to secure a new contract. The Dench nonsense and hanging around with his rapper friends was attempt at diversifying who he was. I don't think he wasever good enough and was only ever offered a contact because of his partnership with jack and his love for the club.

Have to say I'm always stunned at the hate directed to him by our own fans and wonder how much that is down to him being black and wealthy.

Okay. Let's look at the "Facts".

You joined Online Gooner last Sunday - 3 Posts in you start making inflammatory comments...accusing Gooner sof being Racists.

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

All the above equates to you being a WUM. (Perhaps even a SpudWUM).

Nuff Sed. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

ps: Time to git yer shooting stick and the bag o lime DB! :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:ps: Time to git yer shooting stick and the bag o lime DB! :wink:
:lol:

Yip, that's what I'm thinking, son. :rubchin:

guybwood49

Post by guybwood49 »

It sounds like I am on my own with this one, but I liked Frimpong. He started
against Liverpool 2011/12, first home game of the season.It was the game Nasri started
but we all knew he was going to Man City a couple of days later. I thought he looked lively
and although we lost 2-0, we were doing Ok until he got sent off for two silly tackles
He looked as though he would make a good addition to our then depleted midfield. We had lost Cesc
and then Nasri so there was a place for him. But he got a nasty injury and his chance had gone. I think
he knew it and just lost the ambition to try and get his place back. The move to Barnsley was never
going to work as right from the start he didn't look interested. Just look as his tweet when he moved, saying something like how am I going to pull women up here.
Its a shame that he had the talent and the chance but blew it like so many before him.

brucegrove

Post by brucegrove »

guybwood49 wrote:It sounds like I am on my own with this one, but I liked Frimpong. He started
against Liverpool 2011/12, first home game of the season.It was the game Nasri started
but we all knew he was going to Man City a couple of days later. I thought he looked lively
and although we lost 2-0, we were doing Ok until he got sent off for two silly tackles
He looked as though he would make a good addition to our then depleted midfield. We had lost Cesc
and then Nasri so there was a place for him. But he got a nasty injury and his chance had gone. I think
he knew it and just lost the ambition to try and get his place back. The move to Barnsley was never
going to work as right from the start he didn't look interested. Just look as his tweet when he moved, saying something like how am I going to pull women up here.
Its a shame that he had the talent and the chance but blew it like so many before him.

My recollection of said Liverpool game was that when he got the second yellow i couldn't believe it was his second because i'd missed the first couple of mins and didn't see him get the first. He got the first right at the beginning of the game for something really childish like booting the ball away at a throw in. The second was worthy of a red by itself but the fact that he even made such a ridiculous challenge when he was already on a yellow said everything about his intelligence. Exactly the same thing happened on his Barnsley debut. He seems to be such an immeasurably Bentleyesque immature man off the pitch, albeit probably a millionaire by now, that i can't see him ever recovering and rescuing his career.

I've often wondered why it is that youth and reserve players who've been schooled at Arsenal rarely seem to make a decent career for themselves once they're released by the club. You'd think that they'd be good enough for other Prem clubs or Championship at least but they often sink like a stone. Conor Henderson has washed up at Crawley Town, the highly-rated Mark Randall has landed at MK Dons on a 1yr contract. Oddly enough Stuart Taylor has done better than most albeit without ever playing

Post by 1989 »

Steve Sidwell has done alright.

brucegrove

Post by brucegrove »

1989 wrote:Steve Sidwell has done alright.
I remember him being a bit part player at CFC and doing ok at Fulham. A quick glance at his stats showed that he's also played for Reading and Villa where i never noticed him and he's now gone to Stoke. Yeah, i agree he's carved out an average career in the Prem and probably kept his bank manager happy but could we name 10players who've been released and rescued their careers in the Prem?

Post by 1989 »

Jerome Thomas
Matty Upson
Fabrice Muamba
Bentley (when he was any good)
Jay Bothroyd had a period where he looked decent and even earned a cap for England
Stu Taylor
Jamie O'Hara
Does Leon Britton count?

That's all I could think of, 8, not bad, you win though.

brucegrove

Post by brucegrove »

1989 wrote:Jerome Thomas
Matty Upson
Fabrice Muamba
Jay Bothroyd had a period where he looked decent and even earned a cap for England
Stu Taylor
Jamie O'Hara
Does Leon Britton count?

My original point was youngsters and reserves being released and sinking like stones so Upson and Bentley don't really come into that category but you've certainly named a few i'd forgotten. I remember Leon Brittan as a politician in Thatcher's cabinet so no, he definitely doesn't count!

Post by 1989 »

:D

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Justin Hoyte??
played for Middleborough when in the prem, but didnt really set the world on fire-I had high hopes for him at one point :cry:

brucegrove

Post by brucegrove »

Theoperator wrote:Justin Hoyte??
played for Middleborough when in the prem, but didnt really set the world on fire-I had high hopes for him at one point :cry:
6yrs at Mid and now newly signed for Millwall

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Matty Upson
Fabrice Muamba
Stu Taylor
Jamie O'Hara
Does Leon Britton count?

Stephen hughes ?

nico yennaris is now in the Championship with Brentford, but i take your point.

I think the reason they don't succeed is because at Arsenal they are pampered like first team players, and so they are not mentally or physically tough enough for the lower leagues.

our youth system seems to be based on taking kids with talent, paying them well, giving them great facilities and self belief and thats it - no grit, no muscle, no discipline, no hard work ethic and no humility.

in the season run in 2000, me and my OAP Dad were at the front of the queue in the Arsenal chippy when Paolo Vernazza and other youth players clad in the clubs designer black suits, barged in front of us saying "we play for Arsenal".....

thats the attitude most of our kids have - Jack included. its entitlement. some will learn like Ox, and Rambo that skill is nothing without hard graft and a little discipline, and players like Niall Quinn, Louis Boamorte and Kevin Campbell prove the opposite in fact, that even with medium skill a top flight career can be still had with hard work after a set back.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

clockender1 wrote:
Matty Upson
Fabrice Muamba
Stu Taylor
Jamie O'Hara
Does Leon Britton count?

Stephen hughes ?

nico yennaris is now in the Championship with Brentford, but i take your point.

I think the reason they don't succeed is because at Arsenal they are pampered like first team players, and so they are not mentally or physically tough enough for the lower leagues.

our youth system seems to be based on taking kids with talent, paying them well, giving them great facilities and self belief and thats it - no grit, no muscle, no discipline, no hard work ethic and no humility.

in the season run in 2000, me and my OAP Dad were at the front of the queue in the Arsenal chippy when Paolo Vernazza and other youth players clad in the clubs designer black suits, barged in front of us saying "we play for Arsenal".....

thats the attitude most of our kids have - Jack included. its entitlement. some will learn like Ox, and Rambo that skill is nothing without hard graft and a little discipline, and players like Niall Quinn, Louis Boamorte and Kevin Campbell prove the opposite in fact, that even with medium skill a top flight career can be still had with hard work after a set back.
I think you've hit the nail on the head.
Players who are thought to have the potential to play for Arsenal, who don't make it should waltz into the Hulls, Swanseas, Newcastles etc, but generally they don't even make the grade at Barnsley. Something is very wrong.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Anyone know if Frimpong has got himself sorted yet?