The Summer 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
spendsum4uckingmoney

Re: SUMMER 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

My tribute kinda:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/adams-v ... gh-gunners

Legendary Arsenal defender Tony Adams has warned manager Arsene Wenger not to splash out on rumoured target Thomas Vermaelen this summer. The 23-year-old has made more than 80 league appearances for the Dutch giants since joining in 2003 - scoring against Aston Villa in last season's UEFA Cup - and has established himself as one of the most highly-rated stoppers in the Eredivisie. And his form has led to speculation linking his name with a possible move to the Emirates Stadium during the close season, with the Gunners' faithful keen on Wenger to sign several experienced heads to compliment their vast array of talented youngsters. However, Adams - who spent several years coaching in Holland - does not believe the Belgian stopper is ready for the rough and tumble of the Premier League yet. "I think Thomas is a very good player but I don’t think he’s ready for the Arsenal," said Adams, who made more than 500 league appearances for the Gunners, winning four league titles. "I don’t think the punters at Arsenal would like another small one. "I don’t know whether he’ll end up going for a bigger player. We’ll see how much money we’ve got first. "I have been looking at the Dutch league, but to be honest with you it’s been decimated. "It’s a poor league at the moment, there’s one or two players but they’re leaving too early." NEWS: Vermaelen quiet on Arsenal interest ARSENAL FANS! Check FourFourTwo.com’s ever-expanding interviews archive for more stuff to read: Web Exclusives Patrick Vieira, Cesc Fabregas Q&A Theo Walcott, Cesc Fabregas One on One Arsene Wenger, Thierry Henry, Ian Wright Boy's A Bit Special Theo Walcott, Armand Traore Perfect XI Ian Wright What Happened Next? Gus Caesar, Peter Marinello And Another Thing Being a Big Four fan Plus! Rate Arsenal players (and others) on Talentspotter
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/adams-v ... iTAfS1Z.99
Last edited by spendsum4uckingmoney on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 1989 »

Good luck TV. #Warrior
Last edited by 1989 on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

1989 stop feeding the glory-glory troll. :roll:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Could we not have waited until we got a replacement? Unless Chambers is the TV replacement/DM/back up RB :roll: :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The fact he passed the medical is a miracle of modern science.

spendsum4uckingmoney

rodders999 wrote:The fact he passed the medical is a miracle of modern science.
TBF you look at his stats over the past 3 years he has consistently played a fair amount of games

overall goals (at the end)
2011–12 29 6 4 0 7 0 40 6
2012–13 29 0 3 1 7 0 39 1
2013–14 14 0 5 0 2 0 21 0
Last edited by spendsum4uckingmoney on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raggy

Post by Raggy »

Good luck TV5. You served us well!

I would like to see us use Calum as his replacement, instead of the thought of playing him as defensive mid and promote Bellerin as back up to Debuchy.

Sign a proper defensive mid.

Peace

Post by 1989 »

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:
1989 wrote:Özil is shit and Song is an "accomplished" footballer.

Spendsum4uckingmoney, ladies and gentlemen.
Song 2009-2012>>>>>Ozil
Can't believe I'm taking the bait.......

I actually can't be bothered. :|

spendsum4uckingmoney

officepest wrote:
spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:
1989 wrote:Özil is shit and Song is an "accomplished" footballer.

Spendsum4uckingmoney, ladies and gentlemen.
Song 2009-2012>>>>>Ozil
Can't believe I'm taking the bait.......

I actually can't be bothered. :|

guybwood49

Post by guybwood49 »

Good luck TV5. Shame it didn't really work out. Too many big mistakes for me and then never really got a chance to redeem himself after Per and Kos got their partnership sorted out. We looked much better and more solid with TV out of the team. Scored some great goals though especially last min winner v Newcastle good memories
great move for him 5 year deal and Barcelona paid an unbelievable £15m for him

spendsum4uckingmoney

Demun210 wrote:People are re-writing history when it comes to Song, he wasn't shit. In fact he was a great player, who just lacked the focus needed to be among the best midfielders.

The problem he had was wanting to be a box to box midfielder, when really if he had the discipline he could have been one of the best DM's in the game. I can see why he didn't want to be limited to that role, he chipped in with his fair share of assists but he often persued that attacking instinct at the expense of his defensive duties, and that was his downfall.

Gilberto knew when it was time to leave an attack and get back in position, and that kind of role goes unnoticed because he was always where he was supposed to be. Then you get Song who tried to do too much, and in the worst case scenario leaves gaping holes in midfield. The thing with Song is, he's a better DM than anything else so he'd do well to just accept that and try to be the best in that position.
What? A fair and balanced opinion on a player that left us? BURN THE WITCH.

silus

Post by silus »

Song was (and still is) shit..... and my dislike of him started a long long time before he left us.

spendsum4uckingmoney

silus wrote:Song was (and still is) shit..... and my dislike of him started a long long time before he left us.
When exactly? I am curious at the points we gooners randomly start hating on our players.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

A bit sad when a captain leaves us.
He was a good "attacking" defender, strong in the tackle, high goalscorer for the position he played in, but after his lengthy ankle injury just did not seem the same player.
Cannot blame him for leaving, he was only going to play regularly if one of the other centre-backs got injured.
Have met him, very nice man, nice family.
Wish him all the best.