WE DREW 2-2

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
donaldo

WE DREW 2-2

Post by donaldo »

On saturday 20,000 fans were under the impression that Arsenal beat Pompey 2-0.Why? because they left 5 minutes before half time and came back 5 minutes after the second half had started. It is now becoming embrassing the watch the highlights on MOTD.When Taylor took the free kick for Pompeys first goal there were more empty seats than full ones.

IT IS NOT A JOKE ANYMORE SOMETHING HAS GOT TO BE DONE,IS IT ANY WONDER WE HAVE STRUGGLED AT ASHBURTON WHEN FOR NEARLY A QUARTER OF THE GAME THERE ARE 20,000 EMPTY SEATS. HENRY HAS ALREADY SAID IT IS AFFECTING THE TEAM. THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK YOU IS FOR THE CLUB TO CLOSE ALL THE BARS FOR A COUPLE OF GAMES,THEN SEE HOW MANY PEOPLE LEAVE BEFORE HALF TIME.

FINALLY I HOPE THE FANS SITTING BEHIND TAYLOR WHEN HE TOOK THE FREE KICK FOR THE FIRST GOAL WATCHED THE HIGHLIGHTS AND HUNG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME HELEN CHAMBERLAIN EVEN MADE A JOKE ABOUT IT ON SOCCER A.M

Robsy

Ranting...

Post by Robsy »

Arsenal have now implemented a policy of only opening the bar 5 minutes before half-time.

Normally I would agree with you, especially when referring to people leaving the ground/their seats before the final whistle. However, on Saturday the first-half was so cr*p that I don't begrudge anyone who wanted to drown the performance with an early beer.

You could pretend that the people who went to the bar early at HT were showing the team what they thought of the way they were playing. Don't get me wrong, I know people f*cking off too early happens week-in, week-out, and it's not good enough, but I think on this one occasion it was possibly more understandable.

The only thing that gets me going is people leaving before the final whistle. I think it's much more disrespectful than getting an early beer and erks me much more.

Oh and another thing...the atmosphere in the first half was rubbish. I sit on the north upper, normally there is loads of singing, but on Saturday it was dead. I've noticed over the first half on the season that there are only a handful of people turning up week-in, week-out. I know that some people are sharing a ticket because of the price, but I've realised that their are some people who have 'extra' seats that they are selling. The row infront of me are doing this, 2 of the guys are regulars, but they have an additional 6 seats! Every week the people change. These 'fans' don't know the songs and certainly don't get involved. It goes some way towards ruining the general atmosphere as they sit there, silent. The thing that really got to me on Saturday was one of them (who probably comes to every third game) started moaning about people leaving to get a beer at half-time. But he's not there every week, he never sings and he's moaning about others who I know are there every game and to be honest were really pissed off with the team on Saturday.

To be honest the fella's I sit with have already started talking about trying to move seats next season to put us nearer people who sing and away from the silent row infront.

And breathe...

On other matters, I heard a (new?) funny Ashley Cole song, to the tune of Lilly Allen. Very funny and completely unsingable in our increasingly more PC stadium!

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

People can leave their seats early/return late and not miss any of the action as the game is shown on the screens in the concourse. This gives people little encouragement to wait until half time or to make sure their back in time for the start of the second half. Therefore I think the clubs should turn of the screens!! Turn them off at 3pm and put then back on as soon as the game has finished. When I first heard the screens would be on all the time I thought it was great. But the reality is it's keeping people out of their seats where they are needed.

Another point which may seem trivial however; I waited until the half time whistle on Saturday then made my way to the food stall as I was starving. I queued for ages (those who left early were obviouly in front of me) finally got to the front to be told they had sold out of pies! Firstly, how do you sell out at half time??!? How many game have we'd played at home now for them to learn from?? Do they not do stock checks?? At a rediculous £4 a pop do the club not realise they are costing themselves money?? And secondly, the message this sends to the fans is, if you want food whatever you do don't wait until half time as they'll be sold out!! Best start queueing with 5 minutes to go!! Crazy.