Best pre-match bars at Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BENAYOUN

Best pre-match bars at Arsenal

Post by BENAYOUN »

Hi i'm new in london and tomorrow is my first game in the Emirates.
where shoul i go to get the best atmosphere before the game.
should i get into the emirate and drink there or somewhere outside
thanks

QuartzGooner

Re: best pre-match bars

Post by QuartzGooner »

I have moved this into On The Terraces so that people can see it, if another Mod thinks it belongs in the Cannonballs feel free to move it back.

Lots of pubs to choose from, must be about 20 pubs around the ground that fans go to.
I do not have one favourite but amongst the popular ones for fans are The Gunners on Blackstock Road, so is 12 Pins on Stroud Green Road, and Highbury Barn on Highbury Park, and Phibbers on Holloway Road corner of Liverpool Road.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Tbh there are people who have experienced far more local pubs/bars but I can comment on the ones I've used regularly.

Phibbers went slowly downhill for years imo - the bar staff weren't trained to cope with matchday demand, service was terribly slow and the beer in there was generally shocking and usually served in plastic glasses that had been through the glass-wash. Haven't been there in the last 2 years or so. Bottom line is they weren't even that busy and you were waiting ages for a pricey round of shit beer.

I like The Coronet on Holloway Road. Cheap beer, very quick service, fairly busy. Basically, it's a Wetherspoons. Not the place to go if you're looking to be standing shoulder-to-shoulder with plenty of singing etc though.

Used to get to the ground a bit early at both Highbury and then the Emirates and have a can outside as long as the weather was okay. But police became increasingly heavy-handed with enforcing no-drinking policies on not only the concourse but also surrounding streets. I think it's fair to say drinking in the ground is a no-no unless you enjoy overpriced piss, and obviously there are CL alcohol restrictions.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

As long as you don't drink at the Emirates then you will be fine

DB10GOONER

Re: Best pre-match bars at Arsenal

Post by DB10GOONER »

Over the last couple of decades I've probably drank in every pub within a 5 to 10 mile radius of Highbury! :lol: But I always seem to drift back to The Gunners. Good service, great decor, decent beer, local and handy to the ground and a beer garden too for those late/early season games. 8)

Great for a sing song too - unless they have the fucking Away Boys booked in who a couple seasons ago fucking RUINED one of the best drunken morning sing songs before an NLD I've ever seen. Bastards. :x

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I usually end up in the gunners but always make a point of stopping at the Auld Triangle on the way to the ground when I come in from Finsbury Park Underground.
Having said that, I've not come in that way for some time now as I spent last year working in Scotland and didn't get to any games. Hopefully it is still open and I can call in there on my next visit in a few weeks time.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:Tbh there are people who have experienced far more local pubs/bars but I can comment on the ones I've used regularly.

Phibbers went slowly downhill for years imo - the bar staff weren't trained to cope with matchday demand, service was terribly slow and the beer in there was generally shocking and usually served in plastic glasses that had been through the glass-wash. Haven't been there in the last 2 years or so. Bottom line is they weren't even that busy and you were waiting ages for a pricey round of shit beer.
Phibbers is currently closed for refurbishments.

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Tbh there are people who have experienced far more local pubs/bars but I can comment on the ones I've used regularly.

Phibbers is currently closed for refurbishments.

:wink:
:lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I tend to come to the Emirates down the Holloway Road so start off in the Junction, maybe pop into the Bailey, grab a pie from Piebury Corner or have another pint in the George.

BENAYOUN

Post by BENAYOUN »

thanks all, i definitely wont drink at the amirates :barscarf: :cheers: :cheers:

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

Gunner Rob wrote:I tend to come to the Emirates down the Holloway Road so start off in the Junction, maybe pop into the Bailey, grab a pie from Piebury Corner or have another pint in the George.
The George on NLD day is always an interesting experience...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

remigardeshair wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:I tend to come to the Emirates down the Holloway Road so start off in the Junction, maybe pop into the Bailey, grab a pie from Piebury Corner or have another pint in the George.
The George on NLD day is always an interesting experience...
Must be something about pubs called "The George". :rubchin:

REB recently had quite the "eye opening" experience in The George in Dublin I believe... :lol: :wink:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Read somewhere that beer isnt served at CL matches in the ground, can anyone confirm it?

Still trying to understand the logic of being forced to neck a pint in the concourse within half a minute of buying it before the second half starts and slowly enjoying it in its plastic cup whilst seated in the ground itself, whilst my lad can return to his seat with potentially dangerous (And deadly in itself :wink: )steaming bovril :rubchin:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Theoperator wrote:Read somewhere that beer isnt served at CL matches in the ground, can anyone confirm it?

Still trying to understand the logic of being forced to neck a pint in the concourse within half a minute of buying it before the second half starts and slowly enjoying it in its plastic cup whilst seated in the ground itself, whilst my lad can return to his seat with potentially dangerous (And deadly in itself :wink: )steaming bovril :rubchin:
you won't need to be worrying about beer at the ground tonight unless you are a certain other poster that you used to come on here :D

Simon

Post by Simon »

For the Holloway Road end the Coronet is probably the only one I would recommend. The Bailey isn't too bad either. What used to be the Herbert Chapman and is now called Filthy's just past McDonalds is vaguely OK if you're desperate.

If you're looking for more classic Arsenal pubs at the Finsbury Park / Arsenal tube station end, the 12 Pins and the Gunners are the places to go.

I'm afraid none of them serve Goldstar or Maccabi.

There won't be alcohol available inside the ground for Champions League games (unless you have a ticket in Club Level.)