Best pre-match bars at Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

Re: Best pre-match bars at Arsenal

Post by REB »

DB10GOONER wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:I tend to come to the Emirates down the Holloway Road so start off in the Junction, maybe pop into the Bailey, grab a pie from Piebury Corner or have another pint in the George.
The George on NLD day is always an interesting experience...
Must be something about pubs called "The George". :rubchin:

REB recently had quite the "eye opening" experience in The George in Dublin I believe... :lol: :wink:
the george off holloway road is a good bar, not quiet sure about the george in dubland as never been :mrgreen:

northbank123

Re: best pre-match bars

Post by northbank123 »

arseofacrow wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Tbh there are people who have experienced far more local pubs/bars but I can comment on the ones I've used regularly.

Phibbers went slowly downhill for years imo - the bar staff weren't trained to cope with matchday demand, service was terribly slow and the beer in there was generally shocking and usually served in plastic glasses that had been through the glass-wash. Haven't been there in the last 2 years or so. Bottom line is they weren't even that busy and you were waiting ages for a pricey round of shit beer.
Phibbers is currently closed for refurbishments.

:wink:
No wonder I was queueing so fucking long then!

Herd

Post by Herd »

Fuck me u lot know some really shit pubs ,

The Coronet is a wetherspoons smells of old people,sick n shit food and has the atmosphere of limbo on a Saturday night !
The Gunners ,full of tourists and numpties on a match day
The Bailey ,overpriced and too crowded ,hated the place since Boris got elected Major and the camera'd the area to fuck .
The George ,overcrowded to the point it was like a fucking sauna b4 the Palace game ,I left after 1 pint,attracts far too much OB presence for my liking !

There are many good ones but I hesitate to name any for fear that it will ruin them !

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

The Faltering Fullback is a nice little pub.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

The Crutch & Bandage on Liverpool Rd is half decent

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:Fuck me u lot know some really shit pubs ,

The Coronet is a wetherspoons smells of old people,sick n shit food and has the atmosphere of limbo on a Saturday night !
The Bailey ,overpriced and too crowded ,hated the place since Boris got elected Major and the camera'd the area to fuck .
The George ,overcrowded to the point it was like a fucking sauna b4 the Palace game ,I left after 1 pint,attracts far too much OB presence for my liking !

There are many good ones but I hesitate to name any because GOOGLE ain't working at the moment out here in Malaysia!
Yeah... :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:Fuck me u lot know some really shit pubs ,

There are many good ones but I hesitate to name any because GOOGLE ain't working at the moment out here in Malaysia!
Yeah... :wink:
:lol:

And boss man has just whipped him and told him to get fuckin sewin, pronto! :shock: :wink: :lol:

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Rocket yet. Its big enough that it gets a crowd and you can still move about, it's designed to be a student bar so the staff can cope with demand, you can get a good deal on pitchers too. Plus if there isn't a live game on before the match they'll stick on one of the highlights DVDs. The 49 game unbeaten run usually. :barscarf:

Plus there is a nice little kebab house just over the road. Or Piebury Corner if you're so inclined.

goonergeoff

Post by goonergeoff »

The Bank Of Friendship just up from the Gunners is a good pub, but a bit Pricey, The White Swan at Highbury Corner, a Weatherspoons is ok cheap prices, The Junction, is good as well. :barmaid:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

The Coronet is a horrible boozer. When we first moved to the emirates, it was easily the cheapest place to get a pre match drink near the ground.

But nowadays, the prices are higher and I am sure the carpets haven't been cleaned for years good knows what's stained the carpets as the place smells a bit off at times. Also don't try to start singing a song in there, the bouncers don't like it nor do the punters!

12 Pins is an obvious choice, quick service even when they are rammed and a large outside space. There is a really good atmosphere especially for NLD day.

Justinsaid

Post by Justinsaid »

A bit too late for the opening poster, but I like the Tollington.

Its close to the stadium and always very busy, but has quite alot of space and they always manage to serve everyone pretty quickly.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

A quick word for The Woodbine as well. Good beers, quick walk and not usually totally rammed like the Gunners or the Pins.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:Over the last couple of decades I've probably drank in every pub within a 5 to 10 mile radius of Highbury! :lol: But I always seem to drift back to The Gunners. Good service, great decor, decent beer, local and handy to the ground and a beer garden too for those late/early season games. 8)
Good points... :)
Herd wrote:The Gunners ,full of tourists and numpties on a match day
oh... :shock:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Over the last couple of decades I've probably drank in every pub within a 5 to 10 mile radius of Highbury! :lol: But I always seem to drift back to The Gunners. Good service, great decor, decent beer, local and handy to the ground and a beer garden too for those late/early season games. 8)
Good points... :)
Herd wrote:The Gunners ,full of tourists and numpties on a match day
oh... :shock:

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

The Che Guevera is something of a hidden gem ,and is probably the closest to the stadium I reckon ; go under the railway bridge with the Armoury at your back and it is just a bit further up on your left.