PL Legends - Tony Adams

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VAVAVOOM 14

Re: PL Legends - Tony Adams

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:reading his biography was fucking chilling, but without a doubt the best defender this club has had, at least post chapman.
Undoubtedly career and legacy wise, but Sol Campbell was an absolute colossus - the epitome of a rock like defender. Indeed, even Keown said the consensus of the Arsenal players at the time was that Sol was the best defender they'd played with (that's especially high praise considering Keown played with Adams for years).

No doubt Adams was the greater leader and more influential, but there is certainly a debate to be had if we're talking solely about individual ability.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

As a player:

Best defender I have ever seen at the club, though I never saw McClintock play in real life.

His tackling by the end of his career was as good as any defender I have ever seen in history, he could literally steal the ball from an opponent without any hint of a foul.
His positioning, physical strength and leadership make him the first name on my team sheet of an all-time Arsenal XI.

As a man:

Unfairly maligned on here.
On TV he chooses his words very carefully, which can come across as ponderous, but he is still in the game and has to be very careful what he says about whom.
But in person he is much quicker and wittier, have had the pleasure of meeting him more than once.

As for him not criticising Arsenal, he has gone on record to say he would like to manage the club one day.
And I reckon Wenger is well aware of that, so keeps Adams (and other ex legends) at a careful distance.
I think he is careful what he says about the club and about Wenger so he has kept his dignity, and not got drawn into sniping remarks that would lower his status.

But I am sure he looks at our defence and and sometimes cannot believe what he sees!

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Favourites

1. Ian Wright Wright Wright
2. Patrick Vieira
3. Dennis
4. Tony Adams
5. Paul Davis & The Two Charlies

Greatest Players

1. Dennis/Vieira/Henry
4. Adams
5. McLintock

Herd

Post by Herd »

Sol wants a bad defender but Tony was the best Ive seen for us ,and Ive seen some good ones ,Mclintock, Simpson,O'leary ,Keown,Bould !

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:Sol wasnt a bad defender but Tony was the best Ive seen for us ,and Ive seen some good ones ,Mclintock, Simpson,O'leary ,Keown,Bould !

Absolutely - I refuse to believe that we have had a better defender in the club (at least in the last 35 years or so) 8)

Herd

Post by Herd »

Seen some bad ones too

Ian Ure
Pat Howard
Terry Mancini
Igor stepanov
Squilachi

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

I consider myself lucky to have grown up watching Adams play, that goal vs Everton in 1998 will always send chills up my spine. Whatever you might think of his ability and his opinions, there's no denying his passion, loyaly and commitment to the club, and this is something that is sadly lacking in todays money-fueled game. More players should learn from his example on the pitch. :barscarf: There are times in that interview that the man looked close to breaking down. :(

As for my top five:

Dennis Bergkamp, Tony Adams, David Roscastle, Thierry Henry, Charlie George.