Your local non league team

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Re: Your local non league team

Post by Chippy »

When I were a lad I used to go to Slough Town, ground now a supermarket. I have lived in Woking for 20 years and have never seen the Cards play. shameful. :oops: :oops:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Lee1 wrote:Braintree Town for me....Conference Premier but part time and smallest budget in league full of ex football league teams. Punch massively above their weight. My little girl plays for U9's (only girl in team!)....great community club, real antidote to Premier League corporate experience

I used to go there years ago..........when I was playing for Halstead.
Had many battles there and will never forget the night when one of our players got banned for life after allegedly punching the ref. He didn't, the ref ran in to him and he instinctively put his hand out to stop him. That ref was a slimy little bastard. I seem to remember his name was Clarke. Arrogant little shit of a ref that I never saw have a decent game. How the fuck he was ever allowed to take charge of a handjob let alone a football match is beyond me.

I don't go to see Halstead anymore as Saturday's are a bit of a non-starter for me. If I had the time to spare I would head to The Grove before I'd go to Rosemary Lane.

Braintree need a cash injection to take the next step. They could also do with a new ground as Clockhouse Way is very old and knackered now. Their progress from the Jewson Premier League is outstanding though.........whereas Halstead are still there struggling.

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

I went to watch Worthing play a pre season many years ago, was a good experience, sitting on the grass bank with a beer. Forget who it was who they played but Mark Falco (carrying some serious timber) was playing so it was nice to give the big nosed twat some abuse.

Teams most local to me now are probably Whitehawk (I think now owned and financed by some local builders/villains that used to drink in the pub I worked in as a student) and Lewes.

And of course the under 12's side my lad plays for.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I went to see Dulwich Hamley many years ago, they were my local team back then, they played Chelsea in a pre season friendly.
Hamlet lost 8-2, David Speedie got a couple.
The only other thing I remember is they wear dashing pink & blue shirts.
My cousin played for them a short while after, he later went on to Welling United.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Enjoying reading this thread. Those that never watch non league are really missing out, its how football in the higher divisions used to be. You can even show your kids what a terrace is :shock: :lol: .

Give it a try at the next internull break. :wink:

Quality wise its surprising too, as so many overseas players are in the PL and Championship now, I would argue that non league has improved with players that would have made the old Div 3 or 2 now struggling to get out of League 2 or the Conference.

Simon

Post by Simon »

A bit spoiled for choice - we have Wingate & Finchley, Barnet and Borehamwood all local to us. My lad is lucky to use Barnet's excellent facilities for the Sunday friendly league he plays in.

It's a bit hard to get him along to see any other team 'though. He just rolls his eyes at me and points out that we're Arsenal supporters :D

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

Yate Town FC was/were mine. Only real noteworthy achievement was reaching the 1st Round of the FA Cup a couple of years back, paid for it with our league position. We tend to stick around in the Southern League Premier Division/Division 1 South/West. Right below the Conference South. The cricket club next to it did a good pint and the burgers weren't bad either, plus the managers were always up for a bit of banter with whoever turned up. I sometimes swing by when I'm back in town and have an afternoon to waste.

Jon

Post by Jon »

Theoperator wrote:Enjoying reading this thread. Those that never watch non league are really missing out, its how football in the higher divisions used to be. You can even show your kids what a terrace is :shock: :lol: .

Give it a try at the next internull break. :wink:

Quality wise its surprising too, as so many overseas players are in the PL and Championship now, I would argue that non league has improved with players that would have made the old Div 3 or 2 now struggling to get out of League 2 or the Conference.

You won't even need to wait until then. There are Ryman fixtures on Saturday 27th December (no Prem games that day). Surely better than a trip to the shops or crap tv. Apologies for reapeating myself but a good local derby between Hendon and Wingate & Finchley (albeit it at Harrow's ground) can be yours for whatever you want to pay. Both teams having good seasons so far.

cardinal2011

Post by cardinal2011 »

olgitgooner wrote:
cardinal2011 wrote:Dartford - I only live about a twenty minute drive away and it is really cheap to take the kids - £2 each. The wife drops us off at the pub nearby and then sods off to Bluewater for a few hours to do a bit of shopping!!! If she has not filled the car with shopping bags then we might even get a lift home.

Yes its not the same as going to the bowl but it is still entertaining. The kids love the fact that they can watch a player score on the pitch and then have a chat with them after in the clubhouse. those days have well and truly gone in the upper leagues.
Did you go to the FACup game v Burgess Hill? That was BH's only defeat this season.
No I missed that one. I am gutted I also missed the next round game against Bromley which was 3-4 thriller!!!

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

My team used to be non-league but then last year they went and got themselves fucking well promoted to the league :banghead:

Dumb fucks.

:barscarf:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

My "local" (~50 miles away) side is an MLS club, so basically it's a non-league side.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Chippy wrote:When I were a lad I used to go to Slough Town, ground now a supermarket. I have lived in Woking for 20 years and have never seen the Cards play. shameful. :oops: :oops:
remember when Millwall came to town. the slough gangs from chalvey, britwell, cippenham and manor park ran them all over town :barscarf:

i played in a few finals on that pitch Chippy - in the Slough Combination leagues. our kit was Arsenal 8)

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

clockender1 wrote:
Chippy wrote:When I were a lad I used to go to Slough Town, ground now a supermarket. I have lived in Woking for 20 years and have never seen the Cards play. shameful. :oops: :oops:
remember when Millwall came to town. the slough gangs from chalvey, britwell, cippenham and manor park ran them all over town :barscarf:

i played in a few finals on that pitch Chippy - in the Slough Combination leagues. our kit was Arsenal 8)
Surely they were all related as all those places were built to ship out eastenders after the war. Mind you as the TV series reminds us they all love an intra family ruck. :D

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Theoperator wrote: Quality wise its surprising too, as so many overseas players are in the PL and Championship now, I would argue that non league has improved with players that would have made the old Div 3 or 2 now struggling to get out of League 2 or the Conference.
very true mate - look at DJ Campbell - he knocked em in for Yeading, played against Brentford in the Cup, they signed him, had him for half a season, then he went into the Prem with Birmingham, and then Blackpool.

as i said in my post, Staines always have some young quick lads up front who stay for a bit, score a few goals then move up.

imho the long term effect of the bosman rule has been the making of the lower leagues and non-league football. now with no transfer fees, the results really depend on the talent spotting and coaching of the managers, and for the players - they are permanently in the shop window, none of them are sitting on a three year contract and if they don't perform they are dropped or out, so the games tend to be pretty good - quick, lots of wing play, counter attacks etc.

i'm going to Brentford V Ipswich on Boxing day and really looking forward to it - sadly much more than going to Arsenal :oops:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sup up your beer, and collect your fags !