Womens World Cup 2015

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
I Hate Hleb

Re: Womens World Cup 2015

Post by I Hate Hleb »

StuartL wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
g88ner wrote:2-0!!!!!!
Fucking fantastic!
Does that mean semi stage for you two ?
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Rosie_titters wrote:I am no expert on the women's game.

But from what i have seen, there is no doubt the commitment, work rate and passion is there. Also nice to see they don't roll around on the floor to much when they have been tackled.

But i have noticed it seems to be more kick and run, and one pass football. No doubt some of them do have some skill, but it seems with a lot of female players it's more luck than judgement :D :D
Two things that has been prevalent in every game I've seen is a defender getting the ball caught under their feet or woefully underhitting a backpass and terrible goalkeeping. Responsible for another two goals yesterday!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Can one of you bitches lower your manbag for a moment and tell me, is this shite still on? :rubchin: :roll:

Only kidding, Bas!! Your women seem to be better footballers than your men! :D :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Watched the Germany V France game on Friday..unlike most ladies games it was played with pace and a decent level of skill which made it a good game. France dominated and Germany won on penalties so some things never change.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:Watched the Germany V France game on Friday..unlike most ladies games it was played with pace and a decent level of skill which made it a good game. France dominated and Germany won on penalties so some things never change.
Would you like a tampon for that, Mary Jane? :D :wink:

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Jon

Post by Jon »

I've been watching it although the quality is shite. I regularly watch tier 7 football in the English pyramid, and the women ain't even up to that standard. But watch it I have, and it's good to see them progress. But what is beginning to grate, is the usual anti male shit, how much better than the men blah, blah.
It's women playing against other women for fuck sake. And when someone uses the son of Melted Cheese Face to help their argument then you know how desperate that argument must be.
Anyway, good luck against Japan, hopefully that Yank won't play in goal for us, a tap in rebound waiting to happen.

Basil is a Gooner

Jon wrote:I've been watching it although the quality is shite. I regularly watch tier 7 football in the English pyramid, and the women ain't even up to that standard. But watch it I have, and it's good to see them progress. But what is beginning to grate, is the usual anti male shit, how much better than the men blah, blah.
It's women playing against other women for fuck sake. And when someone uses the son of Melted Cheese Face to help their argument then you know how desperate that argument must be.
Anyway, good luck against Japan, hopefully that Yank won't play in goal for us, a tap in rebound waiting to happen.
Are you having a dig at me? I am not using redknapp to support my "argument", its just an example of the support there is - Jack Wilshere is mention in there too.

I couldn't care less if anyone thinks the women's level is not as good as the men's and I never even said it was. Like some on here I support the England ladies because they are representing our country. I actually know quite a few of the players and they are much more down to earth, genuine and approachable than the overpaid men.
Last edited by Basil is a Gooner on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:
Jon wrote:I've been watching it although the quality is shite. I regularly watch tier 7 football in the English pyramid, and the women ain't even up to that standard. But watch it I have, and it's good to see them progress. But what is beginning to grate, is the usual anti male shit, how much better than the men blah, blah.
Are you having a dig at me? I am not using redknapp to support my "argument", its just an example of the the support there is - Jack Wilshere is mention in there too.

I couldn't care less if anyone thinks the women's level is not as good as the men's and I never even said it was. Like some on here I support the England ladies because they are representing our country. I actually know quite a few of the players and they are much more down to earth, genuine and approachable than the overpaid/over-rated/basically shite english men.

Edited to perfection :wink: :lol:

Personally I cant understand why all of the english public are not 100% behind the ladies team - it's engerlands first realistic chance of winning a world cup in almost 50 years, and it is likely to be another 50 years before the country gets another chance to win one :wink: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Basil is a Gooner

Thanks for the edit augie, I didnt like to say......... :wink:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Watched the Germany V France game on Friday..unlike most ladies games it was played with pace and a decent level of skill which made it a good game. France dominated and Germany won on penalties so some things never change.
:D :D I'm well stocked up for the period of the competition.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
:D :D I'm well stocked up for the period of the competition.
Talking of that, anyone seen the video of womens premier league game where someone is fouled and they go to get on with the game and the ref calls on the physio to dispose of the tampon....... What a tackle that was to make that shoot out :shock: :shock: :| The physio comes on with a dog shite like bag and picks it up :-?

armchair

Post by armchair »

I can only speak for myself Bas, not 100% of the population, butfor me women have no place anywhere near a football pitch and that includes watching, playing or anything else. Their only involvement shoud be cleaning the kit or givin out bj's at the end of season player of the year do.

As for the "world cup". I wouldnt watch it if they were playing it in my back garden. Unless of course they got their baps out that is......

Redsonja

Post by Redsonja »

Not watched any tv footage so far as have been on holiday and prefer to watch ball games on the beach but have read matches had switched channels due to popularity. Couldn't see an Arsenal lady in last line-up, which is a shame, but haven't checked the whole squad. A win over the hosts was a real feather in their hats, but guess it gets much harder in the semi-final on Thursday (0.00 BST) against the current champions and then old foes could await. I always support England in football, but football is really for the guys isn't it, you know. Ladies look too cute in their kits to go kicking each others shins and knee caps. And, I just can't take a team of lady footballers with long ponytails swishing about seriously enough, but would never doubt their commitment, valiant efforts and desire to win for their country. I wouldn't suggest any lady footballer gets back to her kitchen sink, because hopefully her husband's already bought her a dishwasher and she doesn't need to. Wishing them the very best of luck, they thoroughly deserve it. Come on England!

Basil is a Gooner

http://www.thefa.com/news/england/women ... rk-sampson

Cant wait to hear what you all say about this!

England Women’s head coach Mark Sampson has urged bosses around the country to allow staff a lie-in so the entire nation can tune in for Wednesday night’s FIFA Women’s World Cup semi-final against holders Japan.

The crunch match in Edmonton – only the third time an England team has reached a World Cup semi-final after the men’s team progressed to this stage in 1966 and 1990 – kicks off at midnight.

It means fans with work on Thursday morning may miss out on the biggest match for English football since the men reached the last four of EURO 96 on home soil.

Japan v England

FIFA Women's World Cup
Semi-final
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
Live on BBC One from 11.10pm, Wednesday

Sampson has drafted a cut-out-and-keep letter for fans to submit to their managers in return for some extra duvet-time.

Martin Glenn, CEO of The FA, has backed Sampson’s call and will allow all FA staff an extra hour in bed on Thursday morning where possible.

He said: “It will be great for the whole country to get behind the Lionesses and wear their colours with pride on Wednesday.

"We are certainly urging all staff to do so at Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park.

“Where possible, we are also encouraging colleagues to stay up late and roar on the squad, even if that means starting a bit later on Thursday.

"Have a ‘lie-in for the Lionesses’ is our message. After all, moments like this are special and help bring the nation together. Come on England!”

The FA is also hoping that parents will allow their children to stay up – or get up at midnight – to watch the game live.

image: http://www.thefa.com/sitecore/shell//~/ ... _form.ashx

The FA’s ‘We Can Play’ campaign is encouraging more girls to play football so it hopes parents around the country will allow daughters – and sons – to watch the historic match and help inspire the next generation of Lionesses.

The FIFA Women’s World Cup has already enjoyed unprecedented media attention and millions of fans have watched the Lionesses progress to the semi-finals.

In all, 1.6m tuned in for the 2-1 victory over host nation Canada, which kicked off at 12.30am on Sunday and the BBC has again moved the semi-final showdown to its flagship BBC One channel.

With Sampson’s team potentially 90 minutes from a World Cup Final appearance – which would be the first time an England team has featured in a Final since Sir Alf Ramsey’s heroic side claimed the Jules Rimet trophy in 1966 – Wednesday’s match marks one of the most significant moments in the history of the game in this country.