If an Ulsterman is not offended by tricolours...(Dec 21)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

If someone brought in a political flag that represents the continual opression of your people, would you not be annoyed?. It just goes to show how small minded or unethical that writers of this fanzine are.

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

So the writers of this fanzine are small minded and unethical?. N13, you're obviously very upset with the situation in Cyprus, rightly or wrongly, as i don't know enough of the facts to comment. All i know that this is a Football website created to make comments on the one thing we all know and love, Arsenal Football Club. I really don't think this is the place to start talking politics, i'm sure you have a valid point of view and if you want to discuss it with like minded people, i'm sure there are many other websites out there that you can post your opinion on. The only reason i commented on the ban of flags was i feel Arsenal are starting to ruin the Matchday experience/atmosphere and this was just another step closer to that, nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of Northen Cyprus or any other part of the world for that matter.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Politics was brought up here before I joined - when there were articles written by people claiming to be Greek Cypriots or other people supporting the ethnic cleansing by Turkey in Cyprus. Im simply putting my perspective on the issue and will not let people slate my community simply because they are too lazy to research the issue at hand and find it easier to call us PC moaners. If you didnt want to bring politics into this, then you should not have allowed previous political articles to be posted.

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

To lazy to research the issue, i don't want to research the 'issue'. I just want to go along and the support the club i love without being told what i can or cannot bring(within reason). Anyway, the article i read from the person claiming to be a Greek Cypriot or not, whatever the case may be, was against these kind of issues being raised at a football match. I'm nothing to do with the with this website or the printing of it's material so i don't really have a say in what is posted and what's not. The only reason that this was mentioned in the first place was to explain why the club banned national flags. Surely there's a better site to air your views than this one. Anyway, how about the last 10mins against Blackburn...........

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

This issue is very frustrating for many Greek Cypriots as we are being labelled as PC moaners simply because many people dont understand what that flag represents - and it seems to be easier for many non-informed Arsenal fans to say "lets just let any flag be shown" than trying to understand the ethics (unethics) of that flag.

Anyway...

Last ten minutes against Blackburn was brilliant ( I was there). RVP looked like he was having an off day but scored two brilliant goals...that alone shows his class and I think if he worked on his final ball / shot...it would make him into a world class player. Cesc's pisstake on Robbie Savage was also treat to see too and I think he will be the worlds best player in his position by the time he is 21.

When Blackburn scored their second I honestly thought they would equalise, seeing as that seems to be the norm a bit lately but keeping them at bay and scoring another three excelent goals was more of a positive factor for me then the final result. As this is Wengers 3rd generation team, I think once they start gelling and getting a Wenger style "spirit", we will go on to bigger things once again. I just cant wait for Rosicky to start buzzing because you can tell he is something really special. Theo is also bound to catch some good form soon too so I predict a good run in the new year (touch wood). As for Adebayor, well I admit I had been quite dissapointed with him too upto about a month ago but he's been shithot lately and put in another brilliant performance against Blackburn. I think he's a confidence player and you still have to realise he's only 22!

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

N13, you're spot on mate, i to was a bit dissapointed in Addy, but lately he's showing why Arsene bought him, another masterstroke?. I think the absence of Henry has freed some of the younger players up and they don't mind trying different things, i'm not saying we're a better team without him, but i think this break has come at the right time and when he comes back the younger players should be full of confidence, and with Thierry flying we should have a much better latter half of the season. My seat's right down by the corner flag where Cesc took the piss out of Savage and that was a joy to watch. Let's hope for more of the same come the New Year. C'MON U GUNNERS.....