ENGLAND vs FRANCE Friendly

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

ENGLAND vs FRANCE Friendly

Post by QuartzGooner »

northbank123

Re: ENGLAND vs FRANCE Friendly

Post by northbank123 »

Will have even less value than any other international friendly but good that the game is going ahead given the wishes of the French setup.

On another note I saw Phil McNulty claiming that Ross Barkley would have prospered in Spain's side after Friday's game. Until then it was a perfectly reasonable article too. Anybody who has watched Spain (or Barcelona for that matter) and Ross Barkley play should not draw the conclusion that he would fit into their side in any way, shape or form.

augie

Post by augie »

Normally I would go along with the logic that to not play the game would be giving in to the terrorists, but on this occasion I cannot see any worthwhile reason for the game to go ahead. I know that 132 dead is 132 dead regardless of how it happened, but the thing that would frighten me most if I was French, is that the terrorists were able to target 3 different areas at the same time and that fact cannot be overstated imo. I feel that on this occasion football is largely irrelevant and playing this game will distract from where the attention should be, but maybe that is what people want ?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I think the game should go ahead to show life goes on and that we won't let the terrorists win, but I doubt the French players will be in much of a mood to play.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I think the game should go ahead to show life goes on and that we won't let the terrorists win, but I doubt the French players will be in much of a mood to play.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

QuartzGooner wrote:I think the game should go ahead to show life goes on and that we won't let the terrorists win, but I doubt the French players will be in much of a mood to play.
I personally don't think it makes an iota of difference to the terrorists or situation generally whether or not this tinpot friendly goes ahead.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

northbank123 wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:I think the game should go ahead to show life goes on and that we won't let the terrorists win, but I doubt the French players will be in much of a mood to play.
I personally don't think it makes an iota of difference to the terrorists or situation generally whether or not this tinpot friendly goes ahead.
Absolutely that goes for the candlelit vigils online messages and the rest of it

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Redarmy wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Absolutely that goes for the candlelit vigils online messages and the rest of it
Apparently, if you sing La Marseillaise at a football match, ISIS will be defeated.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

:D
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Apparently, if you sing La Marseillaise at a football match, ISIS will be defeated.
:D

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

The shootings and bombings in Paris are apparently Englands fault.That is why we have to do penance tonight, by turning our national stadium into the French national stadium, and require the English fans to sing the French national anthem instead of their own.
When the fuck will we stop being blamed for every bad thing that goes on in the world?

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:The shootings and bombings in Paris are apparently Englands fault.That is why we have to do penance tonight, by turning our national stadium into the French national stadium, and require the English fans to sing the French national anthem instead of their own.
When the fuck will we stop being blamed for every bad thing that goes on in the world?
think thats a bit of an OTT reaction :lol:

however I agree that all this le marseillaise bollocks is cringeworthy, it's showing unification, but where does the soladarity come in? are the leaders of the Islamic State watching on telly going "well they sure showed us". :oops:

can't we just grow up as a society and have a dignified minutes silence, or just cancel the game out of respect to the deceased? no we have to let it go ahead "to defeat terrorism", and turn it into a cringy little lovefest :roll:

Tomáš

Post by Tomáš »

as a german bloke i think it is the only right action to play the games Germany vs. Netherland and England vs. France. Good to see that nations that have been in war in history can make a stand together :!:

on the other side it is a bad sign that Belgian vs. Spain got cancelled :rubchin:

Je suis Paris!
Cheers,
Thomas

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:The shootings and bombings in Paris are apparently Englands fault.That is why we have to do penance tonight, by turning our national stadium into the French national stadium, and require the English fans to sing the French national anthem instead of their own.

An over reaction.....really?
In English schools today, our kids are being taught that everything from slavery to starting the Second World War is Englands fault.
Our country is portrayed to children as racist,imperialist,colonialist and responsible for the majority of the worlds ills.

Tomáš

Post by Tomáš »

Germany game just got cancelled :rubchin: :shock: !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

An over reaction.....really?
In English schools today, our kids are being taught that everything from slavery to starting the Second World War is Englands fault.
Our country is portrayed to children as racist,imperialist,colonialist and responsible for the majority of the worlds ills.

Dont forget mad cow disease :D :D :D