THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by northbank123 »

Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
markyp wrote:Nos89 oh dear,hope you love 4th spot for eternity,your comments are possibly the stupidest and most brainwashed ive ever read,are you 10 years old??
I guess you've never seen us finish outside the top 4 to know any better.
Just love people with ambition. Just the kind of fan Wengers looking for, 4th is HUGE, do it for a decade and it's MASSIVE.
Just speak to Utd, Liverpool and spurs fans finishing in the top 4 for 20 years is HUGE...please tell me when in our great history have we been as consistent?
Add to that the quality of the squad in the last 10 years has been so poor we shouldn't have been close to the top 4.
I am sure that over the last 20 years despite having won 11 PL titles, 3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 Champions League titles United fans would consider the one season they missed out on the top 4 to be HUGE. Christ over the last 20 years we have still won 3 PL titles and 6 FA Cups, it's simply sad that mediocrity for a club of our stature in finishing 15 points off the pace in 4th is somehow the defining achievement?

It's the typical hyperbole as well to try and make out it's a great achievement than it is. To say our squad is so poor we shouldn't have been near the top 4 is laughable. Have you seen the sorts of teams who finish 8th or 9th in the league??? Tell me which seasons we had such a massively worse squad than the team in 5th that finishing 4th was such a huge achievement?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Slightly confused :?

Only recently on here i'm fairly sure that an AW fan was arguing that finishing 4th was expected as we were the 4th richest team in the league and we couldn't expect to do better, now we have someone arguing that AW was actually over-achieving getting 4th and we should be thankful.

Can someone explain this to me? :banghead:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
markyp wrote:Nos89 oh dear,hope you love 4th spot for eternity,your comments are possibly the stupidest and most brainwashed ive ever read,are you 10 years old??
I guess you've never seen us finish outside the top 4 to know any better.
Just love people with ambition. Just the kind of fan Wengers looking for, 4th is HUGE, do it for a decade and it's MASSIVE.
Just speak to Utd, Liverpool and spurs fans finishing in the top 4 for 20 years is HUGE...please tell me when in our great history have we been as consistent?
Add to that the quality of the squad in the last 10 years has been so poor we shouldn't have been close to the top 4.
I am sure that over the last 20 years despite having won 11 PL titles, 3 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 Champions League titles United fans would consider the one season they missed out on the top 4 to be HUGE. Christ over the last 20 years we have still won 3 PL titles and 6 FA Cups, it's simply sad that mediocrity for a club of our stature in finishing 15 points off the pace in 4th is somehow the defining achievement?

It's the typical hyperbole as well to try and make out it's a great achievement than it is. To say our squad is so poor we shouldn't have been near the top 4 is laughable. Have you seen the sorts of teams who finish 8th or 9th in the league??? Tell me which seasons we had such a massively worse squad than the team in 5th that finishing 4th was such a huge achievement?
Why lay all the facts bare and make sense like that, mate? Just say 4th is supreme and and be done with it.

:roll: :wink:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

With fans willing to justify Wengers every abortion no wonder the fraud will leave when he wants,

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:I find it extremely ironic people are only talking about top class managers to replace him, right now i think half the managers in the PL could replace him and get at least as good performances from this team.

If i remember correctly there was a collective 'Who the f*$k is Arsene Wenger' when he came along, and even more importantly he was not a success at either Grampus or Monaco and had very little standing as manager when he arrived except with those who knew of him.

As has been said when he does go whoever replaces him better have really thick skin because the sheep will ironically give him loads of $hit for every bad result, instantly ignoring the endless poor results Wenger has had over the years.
Without him inheriting GG's back 5 I'm still positive the fraud would have been found out sooner than in 5 years at Arsenal,

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

robbo10 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:I find it extremely ironic people are only talking about top class managers to replace him, right now i think half the managers in the PL could replace him and get at least as good performances from this team.

If i remember correctly there was a collective 'Who the f*$k is Arsene Wenger' when he came along, and even more importantly he was not a success at either Grampus or Monaco and had very little standing as manager when he arrived except with those who knew of him.

As has been said when he does go whoever replaces him better have really thick skin because the sheep will ironically give him loads of $hit for every bad result, instantly ignoring the endless poor results Wenger has had over the years.

Without him inheriting GG's back 5 I'm still positive the fraud would have been found out sooner than in 5 years at Arsenal,
Sad to say this but what I have seen the past few years has me believing the exact same thing. God knows how he would have got on had he followed through on his initial instinct to get rid of that back four/five when he first arrived. I am almost certain that without the old defenders - and their subsequent passing on of Arsenal's traditional attitude to defending - Wenger would not have won the amount of trophies he did in his early years.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Super article dispelling the myth that Le Fraud has turned a corner this season or is doing anything other than setting us up to fail.......again :roll:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ ... -1.2508904

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Sad to say this but what I have seen the past few years has me believing the exact same thing. God knows how he would have got on had he followed through on his initial instinct to get rid of that back four/five when he first arrived. I am almost certain that without the old defenders - and their subsequent passing on of Arsenal's tradition attitude to defending - Wenger would not have won the amount of trophies he did in his early years.
Agree. Yet, other mooted successful managers aren't worthy of consideration since they apparently inherited good teams :lol:
Unlike Lord Spunk-bubble who inherited nothing but the tags on his back and 3 magic beans, which he turned into a sprawling kingdom of glory :coffeespit:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

markyp wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:oh good, we've gone back to the "lets pretend there are no managers in world football other than Arsene Wenger that could get a club with the resources we have to compete in a title race" narrative.

it's been a while someone on here has drawn up a list of thirty or so more competent managers, maybe you missed the last list nos89? :-P :wink:
I think there are quite a few who could win us the title with the current squad. Id also add that there must be at least 30 managers who's love to take over from Wenger tomorrow as they know they'll improve our on the pitch performance.
Nos89 the bottom line is DONT BE SCARED OF CHANGE,wouldnt you rather have a new manager,finish outside the top 4 for a year maybe two if need be but then come back fighting winning the title and actually tryng to win the CL instead of us just getting buttholed out of it every year,instead of this 4th place ground hog day,fortune favours the brave and Chelsea,city,Barca,Real,Bayern never have a problem changing managers and maintaining or bettering themselves,yes Chelsea,bloody Chelsea whod have thought it 12 years ago :shock:
I've been banging the drum for change since 2007. In all my posts yesterday I was supporting change, I didn't say Wenger should stay forever. I stated the I didn't like the vile statements aimed at Wenger and that suggested he should get respect for keeping us in the top 4 in a 20 year period which I think only manure under Ferguson has achieved in over 100 years. I don't think Arsenal fans would tolerate dropping outside the top 4 for 2 seasons, look at Utd fans, and dare I say some Arsenal fans are worse than Utd fans in terms of expectation because of what we pay to attend games. He tenure has seen sustained consistency which we haven't experienced before. People cry about winning the FA Cup but half of the 12 we have won has been under Wenger. We can still win this league, Sunday was a huge let down but no one deserves to be vilified in such an aggressive manner, not even Wenger.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I've been banging the drum for change since 2007. In all my posts yesterday I was supporting change, I didn't say Wenger should stay forever. I stated the I didn't like the vile statements aimed at Wenger and that suggested he should get respect for keeping us in the top 4 in a 20 year period which I think only manure under Ferguson has achieved in over 100 years. I don't think Arsenal fans would tolerate dropping outside the top 4 for 2 seasons, look at Utd fans, and dare I say some Arsenal fans are worse than Utd fans in terms of expectation because of what we pay to attend games. He tenure has seen sustained consistency which we haven't experienced before. People cry about winning the FA Cup but half of the 12 we have won has been under Wenger. We can still win this league, Sunday was a huge let down but no one deserves to be vilified in such an aggressive manner, not even Wenger.

I would tolerate dropping out of CL for 2 seasons as that would spell the end for Wenger. THAT is the one thing Stan will NOT tolerate, losing out on the CL money. I see absolutely no upside in being in it anyway. We have zero chance of winning it, and it puts pressure on our already paper thin squad. All it does is bring money into the club which doesn't get spent on strengthening the squad anyway. For many years now I have believed it is the ONLY way we'll get shot of him.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

rodders999 wrote:Super article dispelling the myth that Le Fraud has turned a corner this season or is doing anything other than setting us up to fail.......again :roll:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ ... -1.2508904
Totally agree with this guy. At the start of the season I think I said 78 pts at most. Never 80+. Look at us, standard Arsene team, same old injuries, same small squad, nearly the exact same tactics, only the incompetence of City giving us a false belief.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:banghead: Same old bollox just keeps repeating itself! :barscarf:

But who can we sign, there's no one available / our rivals have signed them all, there's no one out there to replace Wenger with, I was Wenger out but now I feel sorry for him now so I've changed my opinion, we was unlucky / the referee was crooked / it was a brave performance & we're still 'gonna win the league! :blah:

Afterwards in the pub (Blackstock Road), if the fans accept it it's no wonder the club get away with it!

And if anyone really thinks that a couple of seasons outside the top four would see Wenger gone, some of the AKB's
all ready have their justifications worked out to keep his job intact.

"He should have a job for life, yes even if he relegated the club" :rubchin: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
markyp wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:oh good, we've gone back to the "lets pretend there are no managers in world football other than Arsene Wenger that could get a club with the resources we have to compete in a title race" narrative.

it's been a while someone on here has drawn up a list of thirty or so more competent managers, maybe you missed the last list nos89? :-P :wink:
I think there are quite a few who could win us the title with the current squad. Id also add that there must be at least 30 managers who's love to take over from Wenger tomorrow as they know they'll improve our on the pitch performance.
Nos89 the bottom line is DONT BE SCARED OF CHANGE,wouldnt you rather have a new manager,finish outside the top 4 for a year maybe two if need be but then come back fighting winning the title and actually tryng to win the CL instead of us just getting buttholed out of it every year,instead of this 4th place ground hog day,fortune favours the brave and Chelsea,city,Barca,Real,Bayern never have a problem changing managers and maintaining or bettering themselves,yes Chelsea,bloody Chelsea whod have thought it 12 years ago :shock:

Maybe maybe not - manure fans are complaining cos they are not winning the league, but us Gooners are complaining cos we don't try to win the league and set top 4 as our target :oops: There would be an absolute meltdown in mancland if they ever had a manager that set top 4 as their target at the start of a season - they spend to try and raise the bar whilst we don't spend cos we are happy where we are and that is the reason for the vitrol thrown at wenker

GTG

Post by GTG »

With regards to the "Who would you replace him with?" debate, there aren't many I wouldn't replace him with to be honest. Any new man coming in would at least give us some fucking hope! Even if we dropped out of the top 4 like United at least you could go into a season not knowing what is going to happen or who we might actually sign and that in itself would bring some excitement. At the moment the vast majority of Gooners, if they're being honest, know exactly how each season is going to pan out in the league and CL before it even happens. Even in a season that has been so piss poor and has Man city doing there best to mess it up, we're still not capable of winning this league. That in a squad that has 3 world class players in it, in this current league is just not good enough.

I just want to feel angry about defeats and excited about going to games like I used to feel. For the last 4 years or so its just been so depressingly inevitable.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

The issue would be how would the players take to a new boss?
He seems to act as a father figure to the more sensitive souls in the team, like those that still have potential after 10 years, and too matey to those who should have been moved on.
Rather than being sentimental and giving contract extensions to has beens like Arteta & Flamini, and yes Mertesacker, a new coach will be ruthless, hopefully.