The Patrick Vieira Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I do remember that yes but I also remember Viera saying himself quite clearly that he is not a centre half and that he only gets mentioned in that position due to his height.

An aged Viera in his natural position I can just about support but an aged Viera in a position that he once played well against Wimbledon I could not.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Firstly I dont really believe this story, but assuming it does have credability..

Im not keen on him coming back, yes he is a legend, one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time no less - but would he add anything on the pitch? He was fantastic 5 years ago, but hasnt been great since then, he wouldnt be someone you could rely on to play twice a week consistently going on the last few seasons. Fabrebgas outplayed him a few years ago, and for injuries / performances he hasnt played a consistent amount of football in years. I dont even think he would be a fantastic centre back to be honest, yes he is tall, strong, determined - of that there is no doubt, but to my knowledge he hasnt often played at CB so would have to learn how to let the game flow infront of him for the most part.

Of course him coming back would be great for the younger players, and he is of course an Arsenal legend, the thought of bringing him on for the last twenty minutes, just his stature is enough to put the opposition on the back foot - but id hate to see the good work done for Arsenal in the past ruined by a season or two of Vieira past his best.

Just my opinion, but of all the problems many people say we have in the squad, i dont think he helps solve many of them.

I love Patrick Vieira, but im not sure him coming back would be a great thing for Arsenal, he is not the player he was 5 years ago. As i say though, Im not sure this story is true anyway - Ian Wright and the Sun are no the most reliable of sources.

Dennis10

Post by Dennis10 »

Sign him up, even just for his presence in the dressing room! Sign up Stepanovs as well and we'll be invinvible again!

digger

Post by digger »

I can see this happening.

All the decent CDMs are too expensive/unavailable, basically, we've missed the boat. All the other European clubs are holding us to ransom because they know we're desperate.

Wenger rates Song really highly. And I think Song could be a good player, with a bit more experience (he was excellent last night). What could be better than Vieira taking him under his wing, teaching him everything he knows.

His effect in the dressing room will be immense (although I can't see him playing enough games to justify giving him the captaincy).

He comes from Senegal
He plays for Arsenal
:barscarf:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

On an Inter forum he is joint favourite that the fans want to leave.

http://www.pazza-inter.com/forums/index ... topic=2021

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

oooooo

I feel like getting the song sheet out and warbling

allllllllllllll together now

Vieira whoooooooaaaahhhhhhh
Vieira whoooooooaaaahhhhhhh

you miserable sods lol...bottom of page one don't help

but come on...just a little bit of a sing song...anyone? Even ****!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

If it is a Pay as you Play deal like Owen yes sign him.We have nothing to lose.But i still want Wenger to spend some of the £40 plus million.

RobbieVP

Post by RobbieVP »

to quote Arsene today on Abay.com 'I cannot tell you that we are close to signing anyone at the moment.â€

digger

Post by digger »

He rarely says "I'm close to signing *****". Arshavin was about the only time that's happened, and that was only because Arshavin and the Russian club were telling everyone who cared to listen.

A K B

:lol:

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

I reckon he could be the next Diaby!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bring Back Pires wrote:I reckon he could be the next Diaby!
He could do a job for us. :lol:

OR;

He'll be like a new signing. :lol:

RobbieVP

Post by RobbieVP »

no but if he is close to signing someone he typically keeps tight lipped. if he genuinely is not close to signing he comes out with comments like this! my concern is that if we do not get some CDM support for cesc he will be saying adios come next Summer!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

RobbieVP wrote:no but if he is close to signing someone he typically keeps tight lipped. if he genuinely is not close to signing he comes out with comments like this! my concern is that if we do not get some CDM support for cesc he will be saying adios come next Summer!
Stop worrying Arsene knows

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
RobbieVP wrote:no but if he is close to signing someone he typically keeps tight lipped. if he genuinely is not close to signing he comes out with comments like this! my concern is that if we do not get some CDM support for cesc he will be saying adios come next Summer!
Stop worrying Flash's nose :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Stop worrying Flash's nose :lol: :wink:
Its ok ive got a thick skin (and a big nose) :lol: :lol: :lol: