The Patrick Vieira Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Captain Fabregas

The Patrick Vieira Thread

Post by Captain Fabregas »

Arsenal legend Ian Wright last night sensationally claimed Patrick Vieira is going to rejoin the Gunners.

Vieira, 33, will be allowed to leave Inter Milan on a free transfer this summer and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has launched an attempt to sign the former Arsenal captain.

But ex-Arsenal striker Wright claimed on his Talksport show yesterday that Arsene Wenger wants to re-sign Vieira on a pay-as-you-play basis.

Wright said: "I’m hearing Vieira, pay-as-you-play back at Arsenal. That’s what I’m hearing and that’s what I’m hoping."

Arsenal have not won a trophy since Vieira left in 2005 after the French hardman struck the winning penalty kick in a shoot-out against Manchester United to win the FA Cup.

Vieira, who struggled to get regular games at Inter last season because of injuries, is keen to return to the Premier League to boost his chances of forcing his way into France’s World Cup squad.

Former World Cup winner Vieira is still a regular at Arsenal, returns whenever he gets a break in Italy and is still close to Wenger.

It would be a hugely popular move by Wenger even though the Gunners boss has always been reluctant to re-sign former players, often insisting he would never go back for Thierry Henry.

But Vieira is worried about a fans’ backlash if he joined Tottenham as internet message boards have been besieged by abuse from angry Spurs supporters ever since Redknapp confirmed his interest.

Vieira has therefore decided to stall on making a decision on joining Spurs to see if another Premier League club came in or if Inter gave him more of a chance next season.

Midfielder Vieira would jump at the chance of going back to Arsenal but even though the club are keen to sign a midfield anchorman it is still difficult to imagine Wenger going back for his former skipper.

Fulham are also interested in Vieira's availability.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21557182/
Last edited by Captain Fabregas on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

God I hope this is true. He isn't even that good anymore but we really need a leader now and his experience will be crucial.

Give me him over Denilson or Diaby anyday.

afc-bob

Post by afc-bob »

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease Mr.Wenger make it happen

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

And lets be honest if we can give Silvestre a contract then we can f****g sort out something for PATRICK VIEIRA.

afc-bob

Post by afc-bob »

Ya if wenger can justify having an over 30 at least make it pv4 not that sack silvestre... What number would he wear methinks

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

I know he's older than christ himself but i really do feel that he could help the likes of Song develop...and if we have to pay him £xxx pounds per week then so be it. I'll suck his cock if it helps sweeten the deal! 8)

Welcome home Paddy...and no i don't mean the boggers by that..no offence intended :wink:

aussiegoon

Post by aussiegoon »

It's the same principle used by United regarding the Owen signing.

It's a free transfer and a performance based contract. The risks are low and the potential benefits are high. Why not?

I totally agree about the leadership points that have been made as well. PV4 would add a lot to the dressing room and take some of the pressure of Cesc.

I fail to see any major reason why we shouldn't do it other than AW being pig-headed.

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

Wenger wont want to admit he was wrong by selling him.

n7gooner

Post by n7gooner »

Could he be our answer to our CB problems? and if we get him for free we should make sure we spend money on an attacking player and a CDM :barscarf:

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Come back home Patrick..PLEASE!!!! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

Irish Gooner wrote:Wenger wont want to admit he was wrong by selling him.
I dont see its an admission of wrong doing, we got a very good fee for a player who wanted to move.
Now we can utilise his experience and bring him on to help sure up the defence....something we forget to do all to often :banghead:

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

...and then I woke up. :twisted:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

On the one hand it could be seen as a clever move by Wenger to reduce the rising tide of discontent with the fans..........
On the other it could be a very cheap way of bringing in a figurehead that really is needed by the club. He isn't a patch on the player he was but you just get the feeling that his mere presence on the pitch would give us something.
I hope it happens..........partly because I don't see Wenger bringing in another midfielder!!
Follow that with another couple of old boys - Henry and Upson and we're sorted :lol: :lol:

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

TeeCee wrote:On the one hand it could be seen as a clever move by Wenger to reduce the rising tide of discontent with the fans..........
On the other it could be a very cheap way of bringing in a figurehead that really is needed by the club. He isn't a patch on the player he was but you just get the feeling that his mere presence on the pitch would give us something.
I hope it happens..........partly because I don't see Wenger bringing in another midfielder!!
Follow that with another couple of old boys - Henry and Upson and we're sorted :lol: :lol:
Yeah, let's have an Arsenal legends reunion - Henry, Vieira and ... Matthew Upson. :wink:

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

oooooo

I feel like getting the song sheet out and warbling

allllllllllllll together now

Vieira whoooooooaaaahhhhhhh
Vieira whoooooooaaaahhhhhhh