Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Retro Gunner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:44 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:59 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:09 am
Mikel Arteta praised a string of Arsenal players in his press conference after their 3-1 win over Liverpool. Kai Havertz was "unbelievable" up front. Gabriel Martinelli brought a "streetwise" edge. But his warmest words were reserved for Jorginho.

Sick of his bullshit
I dont understand. What's the problem. We just beat Liverpool 3-1
Do you think havertz was unbelievable upfront?

Unbelievable in the sense that "I cant believe anyone would be dumb enough to pay £65m for this useless c.unt, pay him 300k per week, and keep picking him no matter how shit he is - that is truly unbelievable" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Well, that's the only explanation of "unbelievable" that I can think of augie. :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:38 am
5 times we have played Liverpool and Man City this season. 5 goals conceded. Not many teams would play Man City twice and Liverpool three times and concede only 5 goals. Wasnt long ago we would concede 5 goals in a match playing wither City or Liverpool

equal best defensive record with Liverpool; I think we can go the season with the fewest goals conceded. The team actually knows what do to when it doesnt have the ball. You dont go from a team that doesn't know what do to out of possession, to a team that does know what to do, without proper coaching. The progress we have made under Arteta is clear as day. Our record against the top teams has improved significantly.

Im telling you, there will be a pay off in keeping with Arteta. And that pay off can lost a long time given he is only 41 and seems set on hanging around for the long term. If he would turn down Barcelona, he isn't leaving for anyone. Really perplexed why so many are intent to see him gone and replaced with any casual.

I used to be Arteta out (check post history). But I cant ignore the facts. Arteta is a serious manager.

Please answer augie's questions.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mikel Arteta praised a string of Arsenal players in his press conference after their 3-1 win over Liverpool. Kai Havertz was "unbelievable" up front. Gabriel Martinelli brought a "streetwise" edge. But his warmest words were reserved for Jorginho.

Sick of his bullshit
His miss, clean through, was unbelievable

Luckily the rebound fell to Saka to spare his blushes and the wrath of the fans and we ended up winning else he would have been even more of a :censored: than he already is.

No conviction in any aspect of his game - compare his inability to get a shot off from a similar angle to Trossard’s clincher

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:43 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Sick of his bullshit

Luckily the rebound fell to Saka to spare his blushes and the wrath of the fans and we ended up winning else he would have been even more of a :censored: than he already is.

No conviction in any aspect of his game - compare his inability to get a shot off from a similar angle to Trossard’s clincher

Exactly Stuart. It was straight at Allison, seemed to hit him square in the chest. An absolutely clueless attempt at finishing. You're right, it's only the euphoria of Saka sticking in the rebound that has saved him getting pelters.

I'm sure his confidence is rock bottom, but it's far more than that, it's a complete lack of ability. The other example you highlight where he cut in from the right had fuck all to do with confidence and everything to do with a lack of skill.

How Arteta can sit there and call his performance "unbelievable" is a fucking outrage. He ought to be sacked for making that signing, that's how bad a decision it was and I'd gain a lot more respect for him if he admitted the fuck up. He doesn't have to verbalise it, he just has to drop the fucker permanently. I'd much rather accept the loss of the 65 million than have to watch the useless prat scupper our chances as we play each game with 10 men. Sadly Mkll is as egotistically stubborn as his mentor.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:38 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:43 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Sick of his bullshit

Exactly Stuart. It was straight at Allison, seemed to hit him square in the chest. An absolutely clueless attempt at finishing. You're right, it's only the euphoria of Saka sticking in the rebound that has saved him getting pelters.

I'm sure his confidence is rock bottom, but it's far more than that, it's a complete lack of ability. The other example you highlight where he cut in from the right had fuck all to do with confidence and everything to do with a lack of skill.

How Arteta can sit there and call his performance "unbelievable" is a fucking outrage. He ought to be sacked for making that signing, that's how bad a decision it was and I'd gain a lot more respect for him if he admitted the fuck up. He doesn't have to verbalise it, he just has to drop the fucker permanently. I'd much rather accept the loss of the 65 million than have to watch the useless prat scupper our chances as we play each game with 10 men. Sadly Mkll is as egotistically stubborn as his mentor.
I second that one.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:19 am
augie wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Sick of his bullshit

Unbelievable in the sense that "I cant believe anyone would be dumb enough to pay £65m for this useless c.unt, pay him 300k per week, and keep picking him no matter how shit he is - that is truly unbelievable" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's the only explanation of "unbelievable" that I can think of augie. :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
augie wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

to be fair it is "unbelievable" that we beat Liverpool 3-1 with Kai Havertz playing up front :lol: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
augie wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

to be fair it is "unbelievable" that we beat Liverpool 3-1 with Kai Havertz playing up front :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hence the Wild Celebrations :D

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

We should sack Arteta and bring in Tony Adams

Whheeeeyy pashun and Brexit whheeeeeyyyyyyyy.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:37 pm

Please answer Augie's questions

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

The ones where he asked me to mention the success and failures of Arteta signings. Well the whole premise of the question is flawed. For instance Runnerson was poor player, but he was signed for next to nothing to be a back up keeper - who gives a fuck. Tavares was a 7m signing when we needed a left back as back up to Tierney, he hasnt worked out, and worst we get our money back, who gives a shit about Tavares. Marqionhos at 3m is incidental, he wont make it at Arsenal and we will likely get our money back and make or make a small profit.

Im telling you, it would be self sabotage to sack Arteta. The guy is cutting his teeth and is a top manager in the making. Infact he is a top manager now. I was once Arteta out (check post history). I even got a temporary ban for calling him a greaseball. But im not so proud to admit I got it wrong on Arteta. Ive changed my opinion 180 and am now a massive Arteta fan. Arteta is also starting to get under rivals skin. When a manager gets under the skin of rival fans, you know he is quality.

When he was linked with the Barcelona job, most said it was 'rubbish'. But it was pro Barcelona friendly outlets that were suggesting he was going to leave Arsenal, they wouldn't have printed the stories without order from Barcelona. Barcelona literally wanted Arteta as their next manager, and if he had of agreed, it would have been a solid hire for them.

Ill say it again, there is a dividend that will pay in sticking with Arteta.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:44 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:48 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:

The ones where he asked me to mention the success and failures of Arteta signings. Well the whole premise of the question is flawed. For instance Runnerson was poor player, but he was signed for next to nothing to be a back up keeper - who gives a fuck. Tavares was a 7m signing when we needed a left back as back up to Tierney, he hasnt worked out, and worst we get our money back, who gives a shit about Tavares. Marqionhos at 3m is incidental, he wont make it at Arsenal and we will likely get our money back and make or make a small profit.

Im telling you, it would be self sabotage to sack Arteta. The guy is cutting his teeth and is a top manager in the making. Infact he is a top manager now. I was once Arteta out (check post history). I even got a temporary ban for calling him a greaseball. But im not so proud to admit I got it wrong on Arteta. Ive changed my opinion 180 and am now a massive Arteta fan. Arteta is also starting to get under rivals skin. When a manager gets under the skin of rival fans, you know he is quality.

When he was linked with the Barcelona job, most said it was 'rubbish'. But it was pro Barcelona friendly outlets that were suggesting he was going to leave Arsenal, they wouldn't have printed the stories without order from Barcelona. Barcelona literally wanted Arteta as their next manager, and if he had of agreed, it would have been a solid hire for them.

Ill say it again, there is a dividend that will pay in sticking with Arteta.
You don't read other people's posts.

Runnerson isn't mentioned in any of his questions.

Here they are.

1. Have our results declined since last season ?

2. Have our team performances regressed since last season ?

3. Is zinchenko a weak link at left back ?

4. Will jesus ever score enough goals to fire us to a league title ?

5. Have our best two young players (saka and martinelli) regressed this season ?

6. Has havertz been a good purchase ?

7. Would we be as high as we are in league table if manure, the chavs and the geordies were not having shit seasons ? Actually tbf to the geordies they are crippled with injuries

8. You keep referring to klopp, but seeing as he took over the victims in a worse place than we were when the cone boy was appointed, and given that the cone boy in 4 years has spent almost as much as klopp has in nine seasons, how the fcuk can you put diet pep in same bracket as klopp ??

augie

Post by augie »

Please stop responding to this guy - clueless doesnt even begin to sum him up :roll: He talks about wasted transfers like it is a business decision no harm no foul - the whole purpose of signing players is to strengthen the team and squad, so even if we dont lose money on the deals, signing players that are not good enough and dont work out are a waste of time and resources, and even if we get back the same transfer fee as we paid, we still would have wasted money on wages and signing on fee's (plus probability of paying off a players contract to get him to leave early) and agents fees which are not factored into Mr Profit & Loss accounts argument :oops: Reality as you rightly pointed out is that my questions were not based around his transfer dealings, but it is also a fact that pep's cone boy and edu have bought far more duds than successes, and it really calls into question the judgement of those giving the green light for these deals

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Brighton lose again. Dreadful out of possession again. Now wonder they are 15th for goals conceded in the league. Cant believe De Zerbi gets linked too top jobs. Would love it if Bayern sack Tuchel and steal Alonso from Liverpool, and Liverpool nosebleed a De Zerbi appointment.

'Lets give De Zerbi a go'

Wait why are we now conceding so many goals.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Thomas Tuchel will be available in the summer.

And ill preempt you.

NO