Obafemi Martins again!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rad

Obafemi Martins again!

Post by Rad »

Lots of rumours in press about Martins in press again. I liked what I saw of Martins when he virtually single handedlystuffed us playing for Inter at Highbury but as our Newcastle correspondent mentioned previously - he has not done the business for them consistently. He may perform better with better players around him methinks!

However I do have one problem with him, his age. I seem to recall one of his former Nigerian teammates (Babayaro?) questioning his age before he was transferred to the Toon. The rumours persist about the perennial 29 year old Kanu also! I hope if we do prepare to sign him that we check the sell by date before we buy him!

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

I wanted him when Henry was around, but i cant see him as the man we should buy in place of Henry, at least he shouldnt be the only striker we buy.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

He's definitely got ability but I think there are better options.

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

I would really like O.Martins to join us i also have just seen Tevez wont be joining Inter Milan.

ARSENAL maybe ???????

I really hope so, i see him play against us at the Emirates and he was unmarkable he was constantly making great off the ball runs allowing Zamora to go forward more. unfortunatly we all know what happend that day :(

i have also heard about Micheal Owen but will Wenger really take the risk after the injurys he has just recoverd from.
:S i'm not sure

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Tevez over Martins anyday, and Owen over him too, but if we did sign him I think i'd be happy just because we signed someone.

£13m though? Don't think so for him.

Anelka at £8m a better option.

RaM

Post by RaM »

I'd much prefer Anelka over any of the others, but Tevez would be my second choice.

And besides, wouldn't Martins be leaving for African Nations next year?

Then we'd be without Martins and Adebayor at the same time.

daz10_uk

Post by daz10_uk »

Youre right about the African nations next year but totally wrong about Anelka, he is the most unsettled bloke ever never been at a club more than 2-3 years anywhere. We dont need players like Anelka. PLEASE MR WENGER DONT BUY ANELKA

exiled in notts

Post by exiled in notts »

OK, we're never going to get a like-for-like replacement for TH. The bloke was one-off, but we've got to get someone in.

Owen: Massive injury risk and has largely lost his main goal threat which was his pace.

Martins: Just not enough quality.

Anelka: Have to agree with Daz. Showed a massive amount of disrespect to the club, the fans, his team mates and manager last time around. We want someone who'll play for the shirt, not a petulant little mercenary who's likely to spit the dummy at the drop of a hat.

Tevez: Interesting...Of the players mentioned above, he might have the most potential to become a Gooner.

Ready to be shot down in flames now...

daz10_uk

Post by daz10_uk »

Exiled i totally agree with you Tevez is the best of the mentioned lot, not sure he is an out and out goalscorer i always thought he is more of a Bergkamp type of player but Martins and more so Anelka arent the answer.

RaM

Post by RaM »

Yeah I suppose your right daz, the very fact that we're talking about him leaving Bolton for us now after such a short spell testifies to what you're saying.

Tevez would be ok I think, I mean, he did ok at West Ham last season, and with us he'll have the better players around him.

See how hes going at the Copa America. Argentina won 4-1 today but I don't know how he went.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

He came off the bench and scored the fourth.

Tevez certainly the best name linked with us although also like Torres/Eto'o and Huntelaar but their speculation has died down alot now.

Would support Anelka/Martins or Owen in an arsenal shirt but only if we can't get any of the 4 mentioned above.

daz10_uk

Post by daz10_uk »

Not sure about Torres although i dont doubt his ability but Spanish players dont settle abroad, look at our mate Reyes and there are quite a few Spaniards who dont seem to play well abroad apart from Alonso maybe but i dont even rate him......

RaM

Post by RaM »

No I don't think Torres would be any good for Arsenal.

The thing about Spaniards settling overseas was discussed on a recent article on Arsenal.com in regards to Fabregas.

I do like the idea of Tevez, and the more I think of it the more I think it could work.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Oh come on, i'm sure that if you think really hard you can come up with one spaniard that has settled in our league... :lol:

daz10_uk

Post by daz10_uk »

Of course i didnt forget Cesc was talking about so called established Spanish players coming over here.... You know what i meant :)